Sign in to follow this  
sudo

Which AntiVirus you think BEST ?

Avg ive used pc cillin and others why pay for 1 tho ? thats just a waste of good money

I agree

I use Symantec Corporate. It works well for me.

ill agree avg and other free ones are good....however pc-cillin protects your passwords and blocks out tempting ads the blink

block out gambling and other nasty sites once your password in there none can allow some crazy downloads on the computer ive been using it for some time now and my partner allows the kids to use computer so i make sure its well protected the best i can ...i do my banking and some financial work so freebies is not exactly what i want

As far as a free AV,I would go with Avast.I pay for Kaspersky internet suite and am very happy with it.It updates several times a day,has parental controls,firewall,Spyware control and is not a system hog like Norton and Mcafee.Also Is fully compatible with Windows Vista if u have it.

Well, from the above comments I guess it's an individual preference rather than reasoning at least in some cases, Anyway from my past experience in the field I opted out the following for reason expalined.

Norton : #1 resource hungry so far although the detection rate is Good

McAfee : Okay , but seems to be slower in detection in fact I had a virus attack even when I had McaFee

installed and working (GodZilla worm)

AVG AV : seems reasonably Good But their AntiSpyware is far better than the Rest (previously known as

EWIDO)

Kapersky : Very Good in detection and over all performance

All though there are some other candidates I haven't tested yet, but seems to be doing good from others experience.

Nonetheless I prefer to stick with NOD once again and looking for their All-in-One Suite which is in beta stage namely Eset Smart Security (Beta) which combines a fully integrated security solution and includes Antivirus, Anti-spyware, Personal firewall and Antispam It updates the signature every day and does a wide scope of protection...so far I have never experienced a Virus attack since switched to NOD32 and incase of a switchover in future I think I would prefer Kaperski

Personally in my opinion as a user one should have the following appz. in his system to be more safe.

At least one Anti Virus soft

one or even 2 Antispyware appz.

A good firewall apart from Windows built-in firewall

Opera or Firefox as IE is more prone to gain attention by the Hackers

ive used avg for the past 7 years and had no problems.and its free!

it does what it says on the tin....

About Symantec,

Norton Internet Security uses much RAM, but why is that a problem for most of you, I guess you all have a much faster pc than I got.

I have used every edition of NIS since 2003. It does slow down the boot time very much, and the updating process is extremely resource hungry.

I can live with it, why is it a problem for people with modern computers? Here are some facts about my old laptop:

Pentium III Mobile, 850 MHz

320 MB RAM

8 MB video card

18 GB hard disk, 4200 rpm. :surrender:

My booting time is 4 minutes, and NIS is responsible for half of this. But when it's booted ready, NIS does not slow down the laptop very much.

And the average pc today is 5 to 10 times more powerful than mine. And still you complain that Norton slows down your pc?!

I personally don't rate it due to it's detection rate more than resources, but think of it this way, you have 2 cars, one a nice fast Ferrari with free fuel, the other an old banger that guzzles gas, both will get you from A to B, but given a choice what would you choose ?

I personally don't rate it due to it's detection rate more than resources, but think of it this way, you have 2 cars, one a nice fast Ferrari with free fuel, the other an old banger that guzzles gas, both will get you from A to B, but given a choice what would you choose ?

I would choose the modern car/pc. And with all that power I think that a little extra load wouldn't slow me down. Of course this is normal use and not maximum performance competitions.

Before I knew much about computers I used norton. I got a virus and Norton detected it. But their solution for removal was bad. They said to go to their web page on the virus and it said that I would have to manually remove it. And it gave me a list of about 100 registry entries scattered around that I would have to manually remove. I just reinstalled windows, it was much faster.

McAfee : Okay , but seems to be slower in detection in fact I had a virus attack even when I had McaFee

installed and working (GodZilla worm)

McAfee is not ok i dont know whats worse NORTON OR MCAFEE

but if your comfotable and they work for you thats what counts

all the anti-virus programs are good only some require extra downloads like adaware or avg anti-spyware to back them up

i dont use adaware or avg anti-spyware or spybot

used them in the past all good programs

i going to try SpySweeper heard its a little better than adaware

I forgot to mention I have downloaded the Norton add-on pack. It removes banner ads, popups, spam etc.

Without this add-on, NIS 2007 is quite light.

NIS 2007 have about 10 less running processes than 2006.

This is, perhaps, evolution.

I use the best AV software on the planet, it's not a program...it's an os called Linux ;)

i think it's a matter of self assurance than being security concious.

you will feel secure till someone reveal that you are insecure for so and so reason, same applies here to antivirus.

i think kapersky is best at present though my friend uses nod and says it;s good enough.

I think Spybot is an essential program to have, even if it does take longer and longer to run a scan.

I see it now removes Smitfraud which used to be a real pain to get rid of.

I also use Adaware but I'm not totally convinced about its efficiency.

Hi all...I was wondering in cyberland and was desperate for something to catch my spyware, etc., and came across 'XoftSpy XE' and it found all kinds of bad crap on my laptop. I got a deal when I bought it with an added free bonus of something called RegCure which, I guess, will help with my registry stuff, of which I have no clue. I had tried PC Exterminate, but found it too expensive. How come no one has mentioned Pitstops software...hmmm...??

I also use AVG free which scans and updates daily, but it didn't catch any of the stuff my purchased spyware caught.

That's my two cents.

BTW: I love this place!! I have gotten more help with my pc problems this week then I could have ever imagined. Pitstop Forums Rock!!!!

/Mz

Hi all...I was wondering in cyberland and was desperate for something to catch my spyware, etc., and came across 'XoftSpy XE' and it found all kinds of bad crap on my laptop.

You may find this interesting: rogue_anti-spyware

XoftSpy was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives ...........

Maybe not so strange it found all kinds of bad things

XoftSpy was de-listed in 2004.

De-listed apps from 2004 include: SpywareNuker/pcOrion, eAcceleration Stop Sign, Enigma SpyHunter, ZeroSpyware, SpyWare Killer, NoAdware, XoftSpy

It has actually become a decent product since that time.

How come no one has mentioned Pitstops software...hmmm...??

PC Pitstop does not have an antivirus product, which is the topic of this thread. Exterminate is an antispyware product, not an antivirus. The two propagate differently and are attacked and removed differently.

in addition to all the antivirus, firewalls etc. it is a good idea to use a limited (guest) account for normal computer use when admin is not needed. you can do most things using run as... command without having to switch back and forth to admin account.

it is a good idea to use a limited (guest) account for normal computer use when admin is not needed. you can do most things using run as... command without having to switch back and forth to admin account.

That's a good idea that, unfortunately, does not work very well. You can't do much with a restricted user account. Admin privilegies are needed to do many common tasks.