Sign in to follow this  
Keith_L

PC Pitstop Hall of Shame

Yes but more because PC Pitstop is so much fun. Gateway is a good company this lady is just a bad egg or was not in a good mood. But she is entertaining.

I think building your own PC is so much faster than dealing with a pre-built.

Snotty :filtered:!

Rob you were much to nice to the snotty little :filtered:, I wouldn't have been so pleasant :geezer:

Actually, it was kind of fun because I knew that I was recording her. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not been on tape.

Guest WingsofNight

Are you kidding me? That is disrespect...I never liked Gateway, but I never knew their employees were so mean.

I find it hard to condemn the Gateway lady as much as the rest of you. She was brusque and unsympathetic, but she was also just quoting the rules as her management had laid them out for her. The underlying attitude of Gateway was much worse--they are the ones that took away the disk drive space, not her. Consider also that she probably makes $9-10 per hour, and maybe the customer before cursed her out because he was such an idiot that he couldn't figure out where to put the power cord in.

In this day and age, it's very rare to get a tech rep that speaks English with an American accent, so...let's count our blessings. Posted Image

p.s. I'll bet you can restore everything from the CDROM (or DVD), including the backup partition. That's the way it works on my HP computer and my eMachines computer too.

My guess is that a great deal of tech support staff don't have a great deal of technical knowledge. They read from a script and that often involves a heck of a lot more questions and answers than are really necessary. Often on Premium rate calls too. Hence the frustration at so many questions.. And clearly she wasn't totally knowledgeable about the partition.

I worked on an old HP PC with a 20Gb drive some time ago. Of that, 5Gb was taken up with a recovery partition. The recovery CDs didn't restore just the OS and initial software, but recreated that partition as well. At least these partitions don't take up a quarter of the HDD space these days!

I like Paragon software for taking disk images and repartitioning of hard drives personally. Building ones own PC is really the best way to go if you have the patience!

in some cases removing the D: partition renders the restore disk useless, for vista i do not know if this is true!

old compaqs/hp's will have the restore discs among a single oem version of xp, the D: partition is for the five or so restore discs .

What a :filtered:! I wouldn't have been so nice. Do they monitor those calls for quality control? I think I'd ask for her supervisor.

Thanks for recording the call for our enjoyment, though :P

Geez, this is the GEEK version of entrapment!!

So, what was your intention?? What were you trying to prove with this phone call??

Having been a systems guru, working my way through the industry (as I went to school) from an assistant operator to my corner office with 4 workstations and a massage recliner, it's common knowledge that on-call support people are near the bottom of the ladder. They're only told what they "need to know" as a FIRST LINE support resource.

I think the SHAME belongs on YOU- She was ALREADY tense when she answered the phone - or were you too busy getting ready for your "show" to notice?? And, you were taking up VALUABLE support time with something I bet you ALREADY knew the outcome of. So, thanks to you, some Gateway customer(s) with a REAL problem had to wait!

IF you really want to make a change - talk to someone who can DECIDE & IMPLEMENT it!! Call the VP of Tech Design at Gateway and record THAT, instead of harassing someone that can't do anything except tell you the company policy.

There's nothing more irritating than a brilliant dumb-:filtered: trying to prove a point!

Maybe off-topic, here....

Any chances of getting text transcripts of all this stuff? Us poor folk with dial-up probably don't have enough years left to download video/audio recordings....

Actually, in the present case, it sounds kind of like the mountain laboring mightily, then giving birth to a mouse.

Harassed, underpaid, under-trained "help" has been around since Ra-Hotep and Sons opened the Thebes Sandal Repair Emporium in 5500BC. Hardly worth the effort of recording.

By the way, you did comply with FCC regs, and tell her that you were recording her, didn't you? You know,"this transaction may be recorded for quality control" thingy? The message you may very well have heard when you initiated your call?

Just asking....

Maybe off-topic, here....

Any chances of getting text transcripts of all this stuff? Us poor folk with dial-up probably don't have enough years left to download video/audio recordings....

Lol, I'm on 31.2 Kbps dial-up and I downloaded and listened to it. Does that mean I have too much time on my hands, or a lot of patience? :P

If Rob heard a message that his call may be recorded, then it should be assumed that it is being recorded, either by the company or the individual calling. I'm not sure about South Carolina law (assuming he wasn't in Brazil when making the call), but in Texas, only one party needs to be aware of any recording.

As far as giving the lady a hard time, well, it doesn't matter how much she's being paid, she is being paid to be helpful. Sure, she may have only a script as guidance, but she should still be somewhat friendly. If she's having a hard time doing that, she needs to take a break and step away from the phone to regroup. I don't know how many people have heard this recording, but I would be surprised if this recording has actually persuaded anyone to go out and by from Gateway.

Are you kidding me? That is disrespect...I never liked Gateway, but I never knew their employees were so mean.

I have a somewhat different view.

First of all the tech support may not have been the most pleasant or have explained the reasoning as well as she should have but she did explain in the very beginning that she could not help with that "problem".

The caller continues to prod her with questions and statements she has no control over. Just the very fact the call was recorded from the beginning raises a red flag with me. Maybe she just doesn't suffer idiots well. She can not change policy, she can't explain company marketing, she can only try to help. I also picked up that she knew she was being baited and her voice reflected that.

At no time was she rude, she always referred to the caller as sir. Exasperated yes, I would have been too. At least you got a tech support that paid wages here in the US and you didn't have a problem understanding her, unlike many overseas outsourced tech support.

Not only that but this may have resulted in her losing her job. Do you know her situation? Maybe a single mother with 3 kids? Anyone ever stop to think what the consequences of this set-up were. Actually I think Rob should lose his job for this pathetic attempt at humor and deliberate entrapment!

This is a non-issue.

Edited by Jeff G

Geez, this is the GEEK version of entrapment!!

So, what was your intention?? What were you trying to prove with this phone call??

Having been a systems guru, working my way through the industry (as I went to school) from an assistant operator to my corner office with 4 workstations and a massage recliner, it's common knowledge that on-call support people are near the bottom of the ladder. They're only told what they "need to know" as a FIRST LINE support resource.

I think the SHAME belongs on YOU- She was ALREADY tense when she answered the phone - or were you too busy getting ready for your "show" to notice?? And, you were taking up VALUABLE support time with something I bet you ALREADY knew the outcome of. So, thanks to you, some Gateway customer(s) with a REAL problem had to wait!

IF you really want to make a change - talk to someone who can DECIDE & IMPLEMENT it!! Call the VP of Tech Design at Gateway and record THAT, instead of harassing someone that can't do anything except tell you the company policy.

There's nothing more irritating than a brilliant dumb-:filtered: trying to prove a point!

Altho you do have some valid points, Rob was under the impression that he was getting a 100 gig drive with his laptop and what he got was only 90 gigs so I think he had a good reason to contact gateway and ask about his missing 10 gigs

Maybe the OP and who ever did the recording should be put into the same position as the tech support lady. So that he/she will have a better understanding of how difficult it is to be a 1st tier support.

Yes, the 1st tier tech support might not be as computing capable as the caller is. But there exist people with knowledge and ambition to be a 1st tier support just to fulfill their dreams to be helpful to others.

Yes the caller can call the tech support to ask and verifiy Gateway's offical position on warrenty if you are to remove the restore partition. But I think the caller should drop the issue right there when the lady confirmed that the action will void the software part of the warrenty rather then keep on putting perssure on her for no reason.

It shows the immturity, insensitivity of the OP and the caller. I think PC Pitstop should remove or at lease edit the recording as soon as possible to return some justice to people who work in the tech support industry.

Maybe the OP and who ever did the recording should be put into the same position as the tech support lady. So that he/she will have a better understanding of how difficult it is to be a 1st tier support.

Yes, the 1st tier tech support might not be as computing capable as the caller is. But there exist people with knowledge and ambition to be a 1st tier support just to fulfill their dreams to be helpful to others.

Yes the caller can call the tech support to ask and verifiy Gateway's offical position on warrenty if you are to remove the restore partition. But I think the caller should drop the issue right there when the lady confirmed that the action will void the software part of the warrenty rather then keep on putting perssure on her for no reason.

It shows the immturity, insensitivity of the OP and the caller. I think PC Pitstop should remove or at lease edit the recording as soon as possible to return some justice to people who work in the tech support industry.

Did you see the follow-up here? When Rob talked to the guy in charge of Tech Support, he learned that what he was told was false information. It wouldn't void the warranty. So, either the tech support lady was given false information or she flat out lied. When she said she work South Dakota, that turned out to be false too.

There is nothing wrong with questioning the answers she gave. They were very short answers that didn't seem to add up and when Rob was trying to make sense of it, he wasn't harassing her. He stated, more than once, that he was trying to understand what the reason was for what he had been told.

I made the recording not to entrap anyone, but as part of my research for my video which was recently posted.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/video/partition.asp

I intentionally decided to remove most of my conversation with Mary Ann from my video because I felt that her rudeness overrode the message of the video.

Since I was once a SVP at Gateway, it was not an easy decision to put this up there. My position was that I was over all sales, marketing and phone support. I was always a hands on guy, so it was not uncommon to see me taking sales and technical support calls so I could see the battle from the field. I decided to put it up as the first of many phone calls with the PC manufacturers. I have one from Dell that is equally amusing/embarrassing.

The reason is that there is another story here. Phone support in general, not just in the PC industry is horrendous. I think we all have had extremely frustrating phone calls with your cable company, cell phone, credit card, and PC technical support. The reason that we are putting this up is to draw attention to the low standards we as customers are setting for ourselves.

Some replies here seem to suggest that we should ignore the rudeness and instead consider the kind of day the support person has had, how their personal life is currently. Do them a favor, don't bother them with your petty problems and questions.