Change Mode

car bounces with wider tires on?

gordesky1

ok we got some nice wide rims and tires for our firebird and we put them on we ony could put them on the back because the front ones need fix.

so the car has 295s in the back and it has 260s in front which is way far from wideness than the back ones.

and we took it for a drive and when coasting teh car will bounce like crazy lol but when speeding up more it will be smooth.

we also got air shocks on it and sping lifters but when we have the old tires on it didint bounce.

will the bounceing be cause by haveing pretty crappy tires in front which is far smaller and skiney than the back ones?

because like i said it has 295s in back realy wide tires.

Did you happen to check your cars suspension specs to see what the widest recomended tire is ?

forgot to mention the front tires are p215s 65 and the back is 295s 55s.

also about the suspension specs im pretty sure its not that because i see alot of theses cars with wide tires and they stock.

which ours has airshocks and sping lifters.

oh also the car is a 1987 firebird.

but ya what im asking will it cause this from haveing p215s 65s in front and 295s 55s in back?

Sounds about right for flintstone tires. :P You better not get caught out in the rain, that short wheelbase Firebird will spin like a top. Best advice is get something narrower all the way around. Wide rims will beat a front end to death.

Deja Vu

:geezer:

If the Car was designed for the Wide Tyres you try to Fit, they would fit all round? Be Prepared to spend a lot of Money on Modifications?

Because they don't fit on the Front, means it is unstable!

Andrew S knows in Queensland you would have your Car Impounded for Illegal Modifications here, Mate.

I suggest you go back to Either Original, or just a bit wider?

Talk to an Automotive Engineer? Not one of the Back Yard Ones?

:sparkle::pullhair::surrender::sparkle:

the tires fit on with no problem they dont even stick out of the wheel wells.

the air shocks has about 180 to 190 of pressure and pretty much the springs are way up.

wonder if its to high in the back now with the widers tires on?

also about my old thread about the dodge ram i still have those tires on there and have no problems.

the tires that are on the firebird back ony is 15s inch rim not those 18 22 inch rims that i sometimes see driveing around lol

also the rims that was on the car stock are 15s to the tires just not as wide.

could it be the small p215s in front stock tires causeing this because they alot smaller?

we geting the others tires fix which are the same as the back tires just alittle narrower and we tested them on the front and they fit with no problems.

ony reson we got the small 215s in front is because the other 2 front tires need fix they wont hold air in them or we whould of put them on to.

Well- unless I'm missing something in the text, I'm not certain if you aren't using "just used" tires or maybe retreads.... I'll assume you are not as that has a whole matrix of issues with it.

If it's a DIY job then have you balanced the tires correctly? When you installed the springs did everything get installed correctly?If a 'professional' installed for you did they do it correctly? Just because someone has a shop doesn't mean they don't messup once in a while- even if they have a lengthy and wide variety of experience.

Bouncing is a bit unsual unless you have significantly changed the geometry of the vehicle, or flexability of your rear suspension- underinflated tires, low shock pressure, loose suspension mast, etc.

The suspension keeps your car on the road, if you have the air shocks fully extended then you've eliminated the purpose of your shocks in effect, drop the height as much as you can without bottoming out on the tires

sounds like you're not balanced correctly. had a rim that was bent so slightly that i couldn't see it, computer balancer/mounter cuaght it though, and i had the same type of thing you are having, though not as severe

ya i pretty much didint put the importen stuff in sorry:(

the tires are indeed used and the rims looks like theses and the tires was aready on the rims. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/American-Ra...sspagenameZWDVW

tread and everything on the tire looks good.

also the springs all we did to them is just put those spacers on them to raise them higher.

and that was befor we put the tires we tested the car first with the old tires and it was fine.

than we pop on the tires just the back ones because the others are geting fix and took it for a ride and it bounces alot than when you go faster it quits

oh and when you look on the tire it says max 35psi and my dad said when he check to see how much air in them it said it was 60 or 65 so he put 35psi in them as what the side of the tires says.

but to me aint 35psi a bit low for theses kind of tires?

also will it also cause this if you have ony p215 in front which are alot smaller and skinney than the back ones?

going to try what you said joe because it does make the car even higher in the back with the tires than with the old tires so that could be the problem.

and wdeydwondrer im going to check the rims again or even get them check because thats why i had to go get the front ones fix because one of them is bent and leaving air out

Dont worry about the bouncing, Gordesky, just put your girlfriend on your lap and go for a drive on an old dirt road.... :P

:rofl2:

Take the car to a tire shop cuz it also sounds like one of the tires has a broken cord, This has happened to me ans someone else I know too....makes the tire bounce

it was a long time ago and I just recalled that

but to me aint 35psi a bit low for theses kind of tires?

No....in fact you might want to run them a little lower.

The bounce? Could be a broken belt in the tire....could be a bad shock or two. Hard to say. I doubt it's a shock if it calms down with increasing spead though. I would start at the tire shop.

Also.....If you "jacked up" the car in the back your alignment is now off. Just a thought.

forgot to mention the front tires are p215s 65 and the back is 295s 55s.

also about the suspension specs im pretty sure its not that because i see alot of theses cars with wide tires and they stock.

which ours has airshocks and sping lifters.

oh also the car is a 1987 firebird.

but ya what im asking will it cause this from haveing p215s 65s in front and 295s 55s in back?

The 55 is the width The 295 is the sidewall height.Sounds like their too tall in the sidewall to me.Try about a 235-55.

good news you guys was right about the air shocks we left some air out and no bounceing at all:)

and the car drives realy smooth:) alot better than the stock ones.

we got all 4 tires on first we took it for a drive befor takeing air out and it still did it so takeing air out of the air shocks soved the problem:)

the tires even makes the car look realy good to:)

when we get the car painted and all the stuff on i post pics:)

Archived