Change Mode

Hey Ports Fans, Lend a hand

shogan191

Hi Guys and Gals

PC Pitstop could use your help if you're interested. We're looking for information on "hidden partitions" that are on some name brand computers. So if you have a factory made name brand computer ( like HP, ACER, Compac, Gateway, Dell, etc.) that has XP installed, list the information in the format below. This cannot be reformatted or a drive that's had a reinstall of the Operating system.

1. Brand Name.

2. Operating System XP Home, XP Pro, XP Corporate, (must be XP).

3, Date Purchased and activated.

4. Go to: Start/rt click My Computer/manage/disk management/... The computers we are looking for will have a hidden partiton like the one in the screen shot HERE . You will know it from the other partitions because it will be labled "EISA, won't have a drive letter, and is usually a small partition at the front of the drive. They will sometimes be labled "Recovery"

If you have one of these Hidden Drives please take a screen shot and post it with the other information. You can post it right here in this thread. Thanks a lot guys.

I have several, but all reformatted.

So I have no screen shots as mine are all "custom" reloaded.....and I no longer am an admin so all those PCs, servers, and laptops are no more.

I know a lot about both the "hidden" DSR and that DUP partitions on Dells. If you want any of my info on it then let me know. But that stuff is pretty commonly available info I would think.

not to many oem's that don't have a hidden partition....problem is for a lot of folks, is that it's hidden meaning it won't show up on "my computer" You might be able to see them in the Admin Tools under disk management. I've used partition magic before to see these partitions

Don't think the Gateway or Dell computers have any hidden partitions or at least the newer ones don't have one :cr@sh: Those two companies actually provide real operating system disks as well as driver disks :clap:

Dell stopped giving out disks about a year ago, (started using a partition now) you can now buy O.S. disks for $10 if you ask when you purchase your pc. Gateway's use a restore disk I think....been a while since I've looked at one

edit: depends on the Dell model, the higher priced modles still give you a disk while the economy models you need to buy them

Edited by Joe C

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't have what we're looking for but there should be quite a few that do. I appreciate everyone taking a look for me.

Chas, I'm not sure why it's showing NTFS as the file system as I was under the impression EISA partitons weren't Fat32 or NTFS. Might be because of the reformat. Thanks a lot for the screen shot. That's great.

Heck, they can be FAT16.......from the factory....why not Fat32 or NTFS?

Hey Chop, I was told that EISA partitons were neither Fat nor NTFS. I don't know for fact if that's true but was just repeating what I heard. :)

What formatting were you told they had? :huh:

I was under the impression that it was some sort of format started by IBM. I did some googling but couldn't find anything. I'd be interested in hearing what you know.

Gryph thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

Well, I know primarily Dell.

The Dell MediaDirect partition is FAT32.

The D7-type MediaDirect partition is NTFS.

The DSR (Dell System Restore) partition is FAT32.

he Dell Utility Partition is FAT16.

Partitions are hidden from the operating system by changing the ID in the partition tables to values not known by the OS. FAT and NTFS partitions are hidden by changing the first 0 in the hexadecimal ID to 1.

You may find this useful.

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/part...types.html#toc1

What are you guys working on anyway?

I know there's a lot of hype about hidden partitions and what's on them...but this stuff is hardly top secret.

Well right now I'm just gathering information but I'm betting you'll see something from Chengrob on it soon. It's not that the info is top secret or anything we're just gathering up examples of the situation.Thanks a lot for the info. I appreciate it.

Yep, me too. Does some really cool helpful projects. The "Playing With Fire" series was classic. I was just showing it to someone yesterday that had no idea of the extent of the fire. They were looking at their batteries immediately.

Come on folks I know there's some other EISA owners out there. Post em up!!

Thanks. :)