Sign in to follow this  
sambora1984

Installing Win2000 on an external Hard drive

Hi guys,

I'm trying to install Windows 2000 onto a Western Digital MyBook 250GB.

During the installation it fails to see the drive or if it does it cannot get access to it. Now I have attempted to supply third party drivers by pressing F6 during setup, however I don't have any suitable drivers and I get the message:

"Windows could not find file Txtsetup.oem".

Is this a common problem? Any suggestions on how to get Windows 2000 onto this External HardDisk which will act as the primary drive, in fact the only drive attached to the PC once I get the OS installed on it!

Cheers

Have you set the bios to boot from USB? Not really sure if you can do what you want to do or even why you'de want to do it.

yeh i tried setting bios to take the usb as first boot option but still no joy. The external hard drive is to replace an internal hard drive. I'm well aware it would be simpler and cheaper to install a new sata hard disk but the external one is there and that's what I've been asked to do!

if it won't work then I will just have to leave it be

yeh i tried setting bios to take the usb as first boot option but still no joy. The external hard drive is to replace an internal hard drive. I'm well aware it would be simpler and cheaper to install a new sata hard disk but the external one is there and that's what I've been asked to do!

if it won't work then I will just have to leave it be

What i had to do is put the HDD in the PC then load the OS remove it put it back in the External.

mrscbrat

Well....I didn't quite take all of that on board first time, but I will certainly give it a try.

Thanks!

Post how you solve your problem, i'm having the same problem loading XPPRO.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

No luck, it detected the USB device but couldn't load drivers. No joy this time.

I think I will install it onto a new internal, nice and easy and use the big usb drive as a general storage device.

Thanks