Change Mode

Get more use From Vista's Firewall

PORTHOS

I am running this program on my vista machine to control Vista's built in firewall. It sits in the tray and alerts me to incoming and outgoing connections just like any well known third party firewall does.

The best thing its free and is working very well so far.

You can get it here.

http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista

Take advantage (control) of the Improved firewall in Vista.

Edited by PORTHOS

Im sitting a pin or needle or two awaiting my new computer what has vista already installed. ive not as of yet seen nor used it so Im in for a new lesson. by what you wrote -

Take advantage (control) of the Improved firewall in Vista.

Can you give me a heads up on whats actually out of control with the firewall?

Edited by Learnin'lady

The Vista firewall by default is just like the one in XP, It only blocks incoming connections. Vistas new firewall can block outgoing connections as well BUT it is not user friendly.

This program takes the digging around Vista to configure the firewall rules away . It will tell you when programs access the internet and gives you a prompt to allow or block.

As with all Firewalls if you block the wrong things you find that programs start to not work. On a CLEAN new machine I allow every thing outgoing acess. It gives you the control to train the firewall what to do per program.

When malware hits and calls home you can block so you wont have the malware downloading more junk to your PC.

Here are some Quotes.

The firewall in Windows Vista will, by default, have half its protection turned off because that is what enterprise customers have requested, according to the software giant. When Windows Vista is released early next year its firewall will be set to only block incoming traffic even though it will be capable of blocking outgoing traffic. According to a statement from Microsoft, the firewall's protection will be curbed in order to make life easier for the company's enterprise customers.

"Because the nature of an outbound firewall is to restrict the traffic sent to specific ports, the outgoing access in the Windows Vista firewall is open by default," a Microsoft spokesperson told ZDNet Australia. "The reason for this is Microsoft has received strong feedback from its customers, especially from large organisations and government departments, saying that they would like to manage this feature from an administrator level."

Microsoft claims that configuring the Vista firewall to block outgoing connections from rogue applications and malware will require a varying degree of technical knowledge, depending on each user's security requirements.

"Outbound protection requires a fairly high level of sophistication to engage, and reports indicate that Microsoft expects that functionality to be used by IT professionals in a business networking environment,"

"In effect, Microsoft is putting outbound [protection] in the 'too hard basket' for the time being," Warrilow told ZDNet Australia. "The firewall is to protect against inbound attacks -- instead of protecting the rest of the world from you."

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/...39252954,00.htm

Edited by PORTHOS

thank you so much Porthos. I will be on my new computer this afternoon! lol.. that is if I can get it going properely... bit nervous of new computers and configurations. I know THIS one, but Ive had it for over 5yrs...

So I will download that to my new one and that will like an alarm system. If I do happen to block something I actually need. I can undo that correct?