Sign in to follow this  
jcritchie

Old computer wont work right

I have an old computer (Blue Light, OEM, 633 mg processor, enough memory, Windows 98se) that isn't woking right. It worked fine until I downloaded some updates. Now it starts as usuual and seems OK untill I get the message, "A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028: C0014FDO. The current application will be terminated. Press any key to terminate the present application." and "Press ctrl+alt+dell again to restart computer." When it restarts I get the same error message again. This happens over and over. Also, the mouse worked fine before. Now it wont work. I have a USB type mouse.

The computer will work in safe mode, but I don't know what to do after I get there to fix anything. I'll not really computer literate.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jcritchie

Disable the programs you updated, then see if your PC is back to normal. If so enable one at a time until the problem returns. What updates were they?

I wish I could remember what the downloads were. It was a few weeks ago. They were driver updates. They were from the driver scan and download site connected with PCPitstop. How can I find out, while in safe mode, what the latest downloaded driver updates are that I put on my computer and how do I delete them? Thanks.

If Safe Mode is OK usually means the PC hardware is OK & it is a program problem, maybe a virus. Maybe you should post a HJT log in that forum.

clean up your system with the system cleanup tool under accessories.

Defrag your hard-drive (I would recomend another program than the one included with Windows)

Fatal Exception 0E messages are related to memory faulting out- due either to bad physical RAM, or bad drivers. Consider the actual age of the machine, it's use, and how dust free you keep it inside the box.

RAM is fairly durable- If you don't use it demandingly it can last indefinately. I replaced my first stick in 3 or 4 years because it took a nasty shock.

You downloaded driver updates? For video, sound, or MoBo? If you can determine which drivers they were you can locate and remove them.

Go to your control panel and select your device manager. In 98SE I believe this is start=> control panel => hardware => device manager.

On the View menu you should be able to select a "show hidden devices" option. This will reveal all your non-plug and play drivers (appear diamond shaped). If one of these are faulty it may show you with an exclaimation point which these are.

Defragging and running disk cleanup is unlikely to help, since neither affects driver issues.

Restart the computer and tap F5 a few times before Windows starts loading to get to Safe mode, and click OK.  Right-click My Computer and click Properties.  Click Device Manager.  Expand the sound controllers category, right-click the soundcard and click Disable, etc., then restart the computer normally.

If the error does not occur, uninstall the audio drivers in Add/Remove Programs.  If they are not listed, mention the exact model of soundcard you have.

Edit: Oops, forgot, you may need a PS/2 mouse for Safe mode.

Edited by TomGL2

A ps/2 mouse is a non-usb type mouse that has the round plug. Windows has native drivers for this and you should select 'start with minimal drivers' so that your basic vga and mouse functions work.

The mouse is working but I'm having trouble finding the new updates to delete. Is there anyway to get my computer back to where it used to be before the bad downloads? How do I find the new updates to delete? The updates came from Touchstone Software. The site said drivers have extensions like .sys, .drv, or .vxd. Can I use any of this information to find out what to delete? I just downloaded them two or three weeks ago. Thanks.

Edited by jcritchie

Did you perform the steps outlined in message 6  If so, what was the result of disabling the soundcard?

I disabled the soundcard and now I don't get the error message and my computer goes to the desktop. I tried to find the soundcard drivers on the Add/Remove list but couldn't find them. Also, I get a window saying I need to adjust the moniter setting from 640 x 480 to 800 x 600. I tried to move the slider to get the setting to 800 x 600 but it wont move. Also I cant connect to the internet. I checked the modem settings window and it said the modem is working properly. Anyway I'm making progress.

Also, while I was in the Add/Remove list I saw 6 "Windows 98" updates and diferrent numbers after them. Should I delete all of these or is it dangerous?

Edited by jcritchie

Sheesh..an old computer thread and I missed it.... :(

Don't run 98 anymore..but i do run 2000 and thats pretty old in computer years...

Ain't been to windows updates for 2-3 years...it breaks things all the time...

If your hardware and software are getting along ok...leave it alone... :) v

The mouse is working but I'm having trouble finding the new updates to delete. Is there anyway to get my computer back to where it used to be before the bad downloads? How do I find the new updates to delete? The updates came from Touchstone Software. The site said drivers have extensions like .sys, .drv, or .vxd. Can I use any of this information to find out what to delete? I just downloaded them two or three weeks ago. Thanks.

Hi jcritchie

Oh boy , another victim of that crappy software driverAgent. :angry: Wish pitstop would get rid of that on the test page.. sigh, . DriverAgent said I have 57% bad drivers, on 4 pc's that was a year or so ago, um, pc's running top notch. I bet they all be junk if I updated like 20 drivers at once :blink: your old pc is now not working due to that and maybe some windows updates I guess from reading all this. I bet its the driver updates.. how many you use? and I bet you did them all at once, right? I would never advise someone to add many drivers at once. Same way with adding software, If you only had say one new program, and pc starts acting up, its fairly easy to pin point problem to that new software. same with adding drivers.

You could go into device manager and right click every single driver an see the date it was added, and delete ones that was added on the day you started having problems. Windows "should" replace with generic drivers upon reboot. this will be time consuming proccess.

DriverAgent can be useful, "if" you are having known issues with say 1-2 drivers, then use there program to see, an test the drivers, but adding many at once is, well, asking for a disaster. removing the last few windows updates "might" help. do so at your own risk though. I would advise more, but not overly familiar with windows 98. Volt should have advised.. lol :mrgreen:

Seriously jcritchie, we should be able to get you back in working order, somehow. :)

Edited by Wademan

None of the Windows 98 updates is essential, strictly speaking, but you should not uninstall any update unless it is known to create a problem which your system is experiencing.

Post the make and model of the sound, modem, and video cards, and you'll be directed to the correct drivers in short order.  You can use PC Wizard to identify these and most other devices.

You'll need to burn the PC Wizard installer to a CD, as it's too large for a floppy.  While you're at it, I strongly recommend getting the Dial-up Networking Update 1.4 upgrade and the Shutdown Supplement.

I have to agree on avoiding DriverAgent, considering it just made your computer unusable.

Been running 98/2k for alot of years...never once have I updated a driver...never

For the past few years have avoided windows updates also...

Keep in mind i'm on dialup..and a crappy one at that...so the 'always on' connections have to be treated for what they are...'always on'...

I just ain't one for any 'updates' I spose...never had any good come of them.... :lol: v

Sorry for the delay in answering. I downloaded PCWizard onto a Cd and put it in my old computer. I don't know what to do with the information it gives. Some of the things I click start flashing and and jam my computer and I have to use Ctrl, Alt, Delete to stop it. I get windows that give a bunch of manufacturers and dates but I can't find anything about drivers. Now what? Thanks.

When PC Wizard is run, the System Summary is initially displayed, and your videocard should be identified on the page.  Also look under Video (2nd row left icon), and click Video Card for the manufacturer and exact model.

The modem should be identified under Devices (3rd row middle icon).  Click Modem for details.

Click Multimedia (3rd row right icon) for sound card information, listed beside Device Audio, which you can click for more information.

Have a desktop with Windows 98SE myself and ran into a similar problem when I downloaded some drivers...some were correct and as it turned out, some were entirely incompatable and it was a mess.

Ultimately I performed a clean reinstall to make it all right again. A reinstall may sound drastic, but at the end of the day it most likely will solve the problem(s) and may save many hours of futile effort in trying to undo a series of forgotten setting adjustments and driver updates, particulary if you don't have a solid trail backwards.

If you have a complete inventory of your original software install disks than it's something to consider if some of the other fixes offered don't work out.

Old machine;...original HD? Is it in good shape?

Other than the Shutdown Supplement on the Windows Update site I also would recommend declining the other updates offered. Good luck!

I ran the PCWizard Cd again. I get a page that has a row of icons going down the left side of the screen with names after each one. The first is PCWIZ 16.exe, than PC Wizard.bch, PC Wizard. bgd, PcWizard.fab, and so on. I clicked on the first one, PCWIZ 16.exe, and a window flashed on and off and I had to use "Ctrl, Alt, Delete" to stop it, so I couldn't use it. Which of the others, if they work alright, should I try? Should I email the driver update place? The Windows 98se OS came with the computer and I don't have the Windows 98se CD to reinstall the OS.