Sign in to follow this  
NascarFan19

Virginia Tech Shootings

Quote from Chopdoc:

....and MSNBC is actually making the video available........

What a circus.....

Agreed!

Mental Health and Law Enforcement have long battled to prevent Media from publishing suicide notes and other "in-depth" documentaries on the often emotional and agenda driven thoughts of people who perpetrate violent acts.

The effort is not to "protect the victim's privacy" but rather to block the rhetoric from reaching those that would make a cult mission of it.

Suicide really does happen in "pacts".

And violent behavior is often enabled or provoked in those who had previously held the thoughts, but had been inhibited by their own emotion, taboos, or social structure.

Reading/viewing sensationalist information about the plight and struggle of a violence perpetrator can be "just enough" to mobilize an otherwise non-acting but disturbed individual, to action.

"If I act on my beliefs, urges, fantacies, the way this individual did, then the people responsible for my own misery will finally "understand" and/or I will finally have my revenge."

Media responsibility for the consequences of their publications has not yet risen above the level of the much vaunted mantra of "freedom of information".

Freedom of information, however, has very little to do with it.

Actually it is publication dollars.... "If it bleeds, it leads" is still the highest principle of those sorry idiots in the Media.

Doug

I'm sure you are aware of my disdain for the "news media" and "journalists".

Reading/viewing sensationalist information about the plight and struggle of a violence perpetrator can be "just enough" to mobilize an otherwise non-acting but disturbed individual, to action.

"If I act on my beliefs, urges, fantacies, the way this individual did, then the people responsible for my own misery will finally "understand" and/or I will finally have my revenge."

All too true. More true than many would like to admit I think.

This guy sent his videos to the media for a reason....and that reason is fulfilled. Why? Because they got the scoop and they are going to use it. This guy now has MSNBC to thank for helping him in the completion of his heinous task.

The fact is that they tampered with evidence. They say they "used gloves". So what?

I am so tired of the media acting like there is no boundary where a story is concerned. And I am tired of people actually accpting that as if it wre reasonable and right. It causes me to reflect on the untouched "journalists" who broke the law by revealing the name of a certain CIA operative.

And now, of course, as you say....the fuse is lit somewhere. There is somebody out there who want's to "make us see"...to "make us understand"........or "make us pay"........because his experience in this world is so painful......

It is a crime against humanity, a violation of our preservation as a species, and a sad statement for society that not only do they provide these things for public viewing...but the public expects it, accepts it, and feeds on it.......

I started this thread, and I think it has served a purpose. My original intent was to think and pray for the families of ALL involved......even the shooter's family. His family must be going through a living hell as well. For all intents and purposes, they have lost him for the rest of their lives. Gun control and people control are all well and good, but this thread has turned into something I had no intent on starting.

PEACE

WILL

NascarFan -- your thread is just fine -- we all have great empathy for the innocent people who were harmed.

Some wish to help by offering solutions -- some by expressing outrage -- some just sit silent because there is nothing you can say to make it better.

Thanks for starting the thread! :)

@Chopdoc and Doug: Do you(both) think the media should not have published the video/writings or not? To me this is the most interesting part. I want to know what goes through the mind of someone like this. I want to decide for myself if the killer is crazy. Or, should they just ignore it and go off and blame video games, music, movies or lax gun control laws.

Come on media! I can handle the truth.

@Chopdoc and Doug: Do you(both) think the media should not have published the video/writings or not? To me this is the most interesting part. I want to know what goes through the mind of someone like this. I want to decide for myself if the killer is crazy. Or, should they just ignore it and go off and blame video games, music, movies or lax gun control laws.

Come on media! I can handle the truth.

normal people aren't mass murderers, his actions imply that he was crazy

They absolutely should not be showing those videos! That's just what he wanted them to do! I'll dare they give this psycho such publicity and fame! This is just giving other psychos ideas! :angry:

Quoting theoldgardener:

NascarFan -- your thread is just fine -- we all have great empathy for the innocent people who were harmed.

Some wish to help by offering solutions -- some by expressing outrage -- some just sit silent because there is nothing you can say to make it better.

Thanks for starting the thread!

theoldgardener

Well put.

Thank you.

And thank you NascarFan, for your original intent to express compassion for those who have been so terribly hurt in this incident.

Your intent in showing kindness and caring for those who lost their lives, for the injured, and for the many families and friends of the victims, has been and is gracious. While I would prefer to have my comments received in the manner that theoldgardener describes, I recognize that my comments have not been in step with the tone and manner of your topic as you intended. As a significant contributor to the off-topic content in this thread, I apologize to you.

Flying Caveman if you would like to follow up on your question, I will post my reply in a separate thread. Admins and Mods can decide if it should stay in GD or be moved to PD.

Doug

Gardener, I never thought of it like you just said, and it makes sense. Thank you for shedding a different light on what I was trying to say.

To Doug:

"As a significant contributor to the off-topic content in this thread, I apologize to you".

Doug, certainly no apology to me is needed, but the fact you thought to offered one says a lot about the kind of person you are. For THAT, I thank you.

32 To Go

Edited by NascarFan19