Sign in to follow this  
NascarFan19

Virginia Tech Shootings

75% of firearms used in homicides in the US are illegally obtained.

In New York City, where firearms are banned for most avearge citizens, firearms crime is extremely high.

The steadily rising rate of homicide by firearm in the UK has been unaffected by the ban.

http://www.firearmsafetyseminar.org.nz/_do...nwood_Paper.pdf

That means that 25% of firearm homicides are with legally obtained weapons... the United States is right up there with the 3rd world countries when it comes to homicides and injuries stemming from firearms. You can argue it all you want, but the United States is easily one of the worst places for gun crime in the world... maybe gun legislation doesn't work, but the system in the United States now sure as hell doesn't work either.

Wigan, you've lived somewhere with firearms regulations all your life I assume? I bet that if you were born here, your mindset would be different. ;)

Chop: :tup:

That's the point, I don't live there. As far as I'm aware there has never been a massacre at a UK school, involving firearms. Guns are illegal to normal members of the public.

19 have occurred in the US. :huh::mrsgreen:

Edited by Wigan

Of course there haven't been any. You guys are too busy drinking tea, and putting trash in "rubbish bins" to kill anyone. :P

:rofl2:

A knife isn't a firearm, unless you set it on fire and throw it :P

Also, none of those cases are massacres..

1 death is a massacre if you ask me. So far, there have been 20 as of last year in the UK. Better than our 19.

1 death is a massacre if you ask me. So far, there have been 20 as of last year in the UK. Better than our 19.

Talk about scraping the barrel :lol:

maybe gun legislation doesn't work, but the system in the United States now sure as hell doesn't work either.

Agreed.

That being the case, there is no reason to strip gun rights, the problem...and the solution....lies elsewhere.

That's the point, I don't live there. As far as I'm aware there has never been a massacre at a UK school, involving firearms. Guns are illegal to normal members of the public.

19 have occurred in the US. :huh::mrsgreen:

Dunblane Massacre

You got the spacing all wrong in the quote. :(

It should be:

Press the enter key 3x for each number.

You got the spacing all wrong in the quote. :(

It should be:

Press the enter key 3x for each number.

I pressed quote..

I can only hope that sooner or later America will pull a "Don Imus" revolt on gun control; maybe there'll be just one slaughter too many for the gun-toting losers to go unchallenged. I know, it's a long shot (so to speak), but we need to get started sometime or other in joining the rest of the civilized world in reducing the unGodly clutter of firearms that we have to wade through.

Sure, it'll take time, (so did polio vaccination, but Jonas Salk did not quit on that account)but ya gotta start somewhere, sometime. Good, strong measures: strict registration, education, and throw the book at any gun crime.

I guess I'm a bit uptight about this. My wife's cousin is mayor of Flatsburg, and somehow I doubt he would get many chuckles out of the droll smiley-based posts in this thread.

Outta here....

Don't forget to blame rap and / or heavy metal music.

Wigan, I believe just the opposite. If every student in that college would have been armed with a hand gun, I don't think this guy would have made it to 30.

This is a truly tragic event... :mrsgreen:

I seldom go easy...but agree with the cowboy..at least partly..

Don't think we need to send every student on campus out armed..but do think we can come up with something better than what I'm seeing now...maybe something along the lines of our airplane cops?? v

I can only hope that sooner or later America will pull a "Don Imus" revolt on gun control; maybe there'll be just one slaughter too many for the gun-toting losers to go unchallenged. I know, it's a long shot (so to speak), but we need to get started sometime or other in joining the rest of the civilized world in reducing the unGodly clutter of firearms that we have to wade through.

Sure, it'll take time, (so did polio vaccination, but Jonas Salk did not quit on that account)but ya gotta start somewhere, sometime. Good, strong measures: strict registration, education, and throw the book at any gun crime.

I guess I'm a bit uptight about this. My wife's cousin is mayor of Flatsburg, and somehow I doubt he would get many chuckles out of the droll smiley-based posts in this thread.

Outta here....

Hey the ''outta here'' part was good... droll smiley.... :lol: v

I was thinking if a warning system is what we need then why not an air siren. like used in a tornado. Im wondering if it might work as like house alarms and scare the purp along with alerting people.

A college is like a small town and very difficult to get to everyone all at once, so I thought a siren might work well.

In my school they used to go on the PA and say "Dr. Lincoln is in the building." That was their code for intruder.

Thats cool. but my worries that on such a huge campus that there are many that arent within PA access, and by using a siren that would blast all over then everyone including the purp would hear that the gig is over...

I was thinking if a warning system is what we need then why not an air siren. like used in a tornado. Im wondering if it might work as like house alarms and scare the purp along with alerting people.

A college is like a small town and very difficult to get to everyone all at once, so I thought a siren might work well.

On the face of it..thats a great idea...

The problem as I see it is with all the warnings.... the boy who cried wolf syndrome...

I still think we need somebody well trusted with a gun...to be able to put an end to things. :) v

I see your point but the thought of someone walking around with a gun policing seems scary to me. A very loud siren would warn everyone and allow all to make their own choices... that way the choice isnt just given to one...

I see your point but the thought of someone walking around with a gun policing seems scary to me. A very loud siren would warn everyone and allow all to make their own choices... that way the choice isnt just given to one...

Not to make light of anything thats happened....but thats just silly to me...

A crazy with 2 semi/autos and lots of reload clips seems ''scary'' to me...v

Not to make light of anything thats happened....but thats just silly to me...

A crazy with 2 semi/autos and lots of reload clips seems ''scary'' to me...v

yes I cant agree more, that is scary - So lets have a comprimise and have both! :lol:

siren alert along with a huge bulked officer with a big gun....lol

:cheers:

I still think we need somebody well trusted with a gun...to be able to put an end to things. :) v

Sod it. Distrust all those with guns, ban 'em, and begin a (five year to ten year) war of putting an end to things :mrgreen:

Edit: btw, this seems to have become a "political" discussion to me.....

Edited by SL10

Edit: btw, this seems to have become a "political" discussion to me.....

Yup.

Let's keep the political gun control :filtered: out of this thread, please.