Sign in to follow this  
starmac

Vista Upgrade

It is very unlikely that a W98 machine could handle the work load required by Vista.

Vista is not old machine friendly... :(

It is very unlikely that a W98 machine could handle the work load required by Vista.

Vista is not old machine friendly... :(

She had XPPRO installed didn't like it, gave it away, went back to Win.98, this time she want to try a upgrade version.

I don't think she gave XPPRO enough time, i didn't care for it when i first tried now i'm happy with it.

Thanks

She had XPPRO installed didn't like it, gave it away, went back to Win.98, this time she want to try a upgrade version.

I don't think she gave XPPRO enough time, i didn't care for it when i first tried now i'm happy with it.

Thanks

I wouldnt do it on that machine. Also if she did not like XP she wont like Vista either.

Agreed, and TBH I doubt that it would be able to upgrade an old OS like that anyway, and fresh installs are normally the best way to go, but if you think they still want to try send them to the pits vista readiness test, that will tell them how their system would hold up against it, but as said already if it's running 98 then it's probably that old and low spec it wont be able to handle it, for starters they'd need 1gig of ram to start with, and 2gig would be better to give you an idea of what they need, it's unlikely their motherboard will support this amount of ram being as old as it sounds.

Agreed, and TBH I doubt that it would be able to upgrade an old OS like that anyway, and fresh installs are normally the best way to go, but if you think they still want to try send them to the pits vista readiness test, that will tell them how their system would hold up against it, but as said already if it's running 98 then it's probably that old and low spec it wont be able to handle it, for starters they'd need 1gig of ram to start with, and 2gig would be better to give you an idea of what they need, it's unlikely their motherboard will support this amount of ram being as old as it sounds.

I don't remember all her spec., heres some.

MB ASUS P4P800SE 865PE Socket478, Intel P4 4783.2G 800FSB, Memory 2 512.

HDDs SATA 1- 250GB, 1- 160GB External, PATA 120GB With ME, 1 PATA 40GB with Win.98.

I just found the rec. for the PS ENERMAX Noisetaker 485W ATX2.0, i build this for her 11/21/2005.

Thanks

Edited by starmac

you cannot do an upgrade to vista from 98. you will have to do a clean install.

Edited by badbinary

I don't know why anyone would want such a horrible operating system such as Vista. I've got it and hate it. I'm going back to xp-pro where I have more control and will be able to permanently delete info since vista home premium does not allow that to happen. To me, the onset of Vista took everyone back to the stone ages. What a JOKE!!! :pullhair::rofl2::thud:

HDDs SATA 1- 250GB, 1- 160GB External, PATA 120GB With ME, 1 PATA 40GB with Win.98.

I just found the rec. for the PS ENERMAX Noisetaker 485W ATX2.0, i build this for her 11/21/2005.

Thanks

you cannot do an upgrade to vista from 98. you will have to do a clean install.

What about Win. ME.

Thanks

A friend of mine is using Win.98 can she upgrade to Vista?

Thanks

Heres the Spec.

System Requirements

XP Home, XP Professional*, Windows 2000*, XP Media Center*

1GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1GB of system memory

SVGA (800x600) graphics controller with 128MB RAM

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, Pixel

Shader 2.0 and 32-bits per pixel.

40GB hard drive with at least 15GB free space

DVD-ROM drive

Audio output

Internet capability (high-speed connection preferred)

mrscbrat

Or W2K, but you can't do the on line advisor with W2k, only XP

You can upgrade from your current edition of Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000 to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista by purchasing and installing an upgrade copy of Windows Vista.

win2k requires a clean install per the link i posted.

Thanks

Well, I must admit thats a lot newer than I was expecting given it's running 98, so technically it would probably be able to handle it, but I agree with the previous comments that if they didn't like xp they will hate vista.

Thanks for all the replies.

I can install it on her HP Laptop it's Vista ready.

She didn't want to go that way.

Thanks