Sign in to follow this  
rgsmile

OutlookExpress and 2 other apps are auto starting upon bootup.

Hi. Not sure if this is general nonsense , or just virus related, but my Outlook Express, NeoBirthdayReminder and AutoSizer are all opening up each time I startup, or reboot.

Also I'm getting a popup, with each boot, that Spywareguard gives me a warning that my homepage is being changed form the normal comcast.net to comcast.net\. So I'm not sure if this whole deal is somehow connected.

All these started a couple days ago, without, as far as I know, anything new that I was doing, or had downloaded. Other than installing Nero6. No problems with that install and it is working fine.

Neo and AutoSizer are allowed by WinPatrol to start up in the taskbar, but now there are coming full screen.

I've run Avg, Spybot, Adaware, Ewido and Panda and nothing shows up.

Any ideas????

Thanking you in advance for any help.

Yup, did it again this morning.

Could use some help, please.

Yup, did it again this morning.

Could use some help, please.

Hiya, could you update your TechExpress link for us? maybe it will shed some light on something.. :) could try system restore, go back few days an see if problem goes away.. very odd that all 3 apps open like that, so update ya test link, an we will see what to do next..

Thanks for response:

Here is link: http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=KM1CFWH99CWSDQUJ

Well, test don't show much, cpu is at 100% though, how long have you used compete, inc ? java is out of date, get new one here> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp scroll down to Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1, uninstall all previous versions then update,however this won't fix your current problems.

Did you get Nero6 from a safe site? I see you ran quite a few scans too.

You might want to post a hjt log on hjt fourm. Maybe it will show something. read an get hjt> http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=36065

Then post in forum, here> http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=25

Atleast then we can see if there is something deeply hidden on your pc.

Edited by Wademan

Compete has only been on here about a week, or so. I haven't seen any benefits of it being there, so I suppose I can remove it.

I thought the Java auto-updated, or at least WinPatrol shows the Jave update scheduler is in startup.

Nero disk came with one of my previous drive purchases. I don't remember which.. It should be OK.

I'll do the HJT and post it there.

Thanks again.

Hi again, java is supposed to update, but its slow at doing so. Biggest reason to keep it updated is certain types of malware can get through if its not updated.

I am thinking that "compete.Inc" has something to do with this.

So hjt, is best bet at this point.. :)

Thanks, Wademan, for the advice.

I removed 2 apps comcerning MyPoints that were in question (one was compete.inc).

I had some problem with the java, but think it's OK now, At least it "validated".

And I posted a new HJT log in that forum.

Now, I will patiently wait, as I know they are busy-busy.

Thanks again.

HJT may not be the best solution. I recommend opening the startup utility first and viewing which programs are activated to run upon boot. Click start then run then type "msconfig" without the quotes and then click ok. When the configuration window opens, locate and click on the tab called Startup. Every program that has a checkmark in the box next to it...runs upon boot is completed. Now, surf to the website called http://sysinfo.org and then click on "Full Startup List". This list will then let you perform searches based upon the startup utility. Now, go back to the startup utility and search for it using sysinfo and then read the results. According to sysinfo, "X" means it is not needed, "Y" means it is needed, "U" means it is undecided, and if there are no results, that means the search is something new and not listed just yet. Upon completion of the startup utility, click ok then restart. When it reboots, place a checkmark into the empty box of the configuration window that runs after boot.

Be careful what you turn off.

Thanks, Wademan, for the advice.

I removed 2 apps comcerning MyPoints that were in question (one was compete.inc).

I had some problem with the java, but think it's OK now, At least it "validated".

And I posted a new HJT log in that forum.

Now, I will patiently wait, as I know they are busy-busy.

Thanks again.

HJT may not be the best solution. I recommend opening the startup utility first and viewing which programs are activated to run upon boot. Click start then run then type "msconfig" without the quotes and then click ok. When the configuration window opens, locate and click on the tab called Startup. Every program that has a checkmark in the box next to it...runs upon boot is completed. Now, surf to the website called http://sysinfo.org and then click on "Full Startup List". This list will then let you perform searches based upon the startup utility. Now, go back to the startup utility and search for it using sysinfo and then read the results. According to sysinfo, "X" means it is not needed, "Y" means it is needed, "U" means it is undecided, and if there are no results, that means the search is something new and not listed just yet. Upon completion of the startup utility, click ok then restart. When it reboots, place a checkmark into the empty box of the configuration window that runs after boot.

Be careful what you turn off.

Thanks, rickk1, for the response. I think you posted a good site. I also forgot to post back here that my problems were resolved. Nothing was actually found in HJT, but their advice allowed me to make some choices and by allowing the comcast.net change, and disabling Spysweeper to only run on demand, things have smoothed out.

So thanks again for everyone's advice and assistance.\

Have a great day.

rgsmile