Change Mode

Opteron 180 Vs. Athlon 64 X2 4600+

I am upgrading a friend's nForce4 Ultra systemfrom single to dual core.

He asked me what would be better, an Opteron 180 (939) or Athlon 64 X2 4600+ since he can get them at the same price.

The only differences I see:

- L2 Cache 1MB (Opteron) vs. 512KB (Athlon 4600+)

- Bus speed 1000Mhz HT (Opteron) vs. 2000Mhz HT (Athlon 4600+)

I think the smaller cache and the 2000Mhz HT in Athlon 4600+ could make it faster overall.

What do you guys think?

180 opteron , its the same as a 4800+ X2 just different name.

Posted Image

Thats my 4800 X-2, the 2 x 1mb level 2 cache helps.

Edited by Lou

It actually does help Jojesa. From what I have read/seen, it can increase performance by up to 1% or so. Not only does it not need a huge cache to perform well, it's more sensitive to memory latency than anything else. :tup:

Opterons are server processors, so they usually overclock better, withstand heat better, and they have an awesome name.

Opterons are server processors, so they usually overclock better, withstand heat better, and they have an awesome name.

I agree with you brandon. Server processors, and are very good indeed.

I have an Opteron 165, I still have it, and I still enjoy it.

I know ppl who had the Opteron 170 and 175 versions, and those rocked too.

So you can imagine the Opteron 180 will be damn good.

:)

Edited by miggs78

Thanks for all the replies...so it looks like is the Opteron hands down.

I was thinking that the 2000MHz Hyper-Transport on the 4600+ might have give it an edge against the 1000MHz Hyper-Transport of the Opteron 180

I was confused by brandon, since the Opteron has bigger cache than the 4600+

Hey miggs78, I also have an Opteron 165 and its a gem. It runs @ 2500MHz with no effort, stock cooler and regular voltage. It could go higher but have no try it yet.

Thanks for all the replies...so it looks like is the Opteron hands down.

I was thinking that the 2000MHz Hyper-Transport on the 4600+ might have give it an edge against the 1000MHz Hyper-Transport of the Opteron 180

I was confused by brandon, since the Opteron has bigger cache than the 4600+

Hey miggs78, I also have an Opteron 165 and its a gem. It runs @ 2500MHz with no effort, stock cooler and regular voltage. It could go higher but have no try it yet.

All Opterons run on 2000Mhz HTT, as do most socket 939 offerings. Cache size really doesn't mean much on the Athlon64 due to it having an on-die memory controller. Huge caches are there to mask memory latency, but an on-die memory controller negates the need for a huge cache, since it decreases latency by quite a bit.

All Opterons run on 2000Mhz HTT, as do most socket 939 offerings. Cache size really doesn't mean much on the Athlon64 due to it having an on-die memory controller. Huge caches are there to mask memory latency, but an on-die memory controller negates the need for a huge cache, since it decreases latency by quite a bit.

I looked at the box and it says HT: 1000MHz :huh: