Change Mode

help im lost at what to do to restore windows

i posted a problem ive got a couple of days ago. and ive tried doing what was suggested but cant get anything to work.the story is i deleted some stuff that a system mechanic program told me too. now i cant get windows to work ,i cant do a restore , the only thing i can do is goto safe mode. i found the original system restore disk which is windows xp home sp1 .i was hoping that i could just install some old drivers or something to get windows to be able to do a restore but it wont install anything as my windows version is newer than the one on the disk. now i have virtually no knowledge of pc systems etc. iwas wondering if anyone could help to restore or whatever to get my pc working again. ive a lot of film files that i dont really want to lose . is there anything i can do to get this to how it was without having to reformatt the lot? please help .. just for the record ive :filtered: myself off unbelieveably for a couple of days now trying to work out what to do but im absolutly clueless. thanks in advance for any help given..

What brand of computer is it, and what exactly is your "original system restore disk which is windows xp home sp1". If it is a recovery disk created by the company that manufactured your PC then you cannot use it to perform a non-destructive reinstallation of the operating system or to perform an sfc /scannow from within Windows. If it is a "Dell Reinstallation CD" or a bonafide Windows XP Operating System CD, then you may be in luck.

Have you tried tapping F8 at 1st boot, then selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" from the list of options (instead of Safe Mode)?

Let us know, -kd5-

What brand of computer is it, and what exactly is your "original system restore disk which is windows xp home sp1". If it is a recovery disk created by the company that manufactured your PC then you cannot use it to perform a non-destructive reinstallation of the operating system or to perform an sfc /scannow from within Windows. If it is a "Dell Reinstallation CD" or a bonafide Windows XP Operating System CD, then you may be in luck.

Have you tried tapping F8 at 1st boot, then selecting "Last Known Good Configuration" from the list of options (instead of Safe Mode)?

Let us know, -kd5

its a philips iqon pentium 4 . it is a iqon system recovery disc.i have tried "last known good config" but it was exactly the same .it loads up and says something about it cant find windows key or something then logs off. when i goto restore when in safe mode , a blank window opens but thats it. any ideas?

it is a iqon system recovery disc.

You cannot use that for anything but to completely restore the computer to its original state unless the recovery offers you the option to reinstall without losing anything, which you'll only find out by booting to the Recovery Disk and finding out what options are available.

Others may have better ideas, mine involves a complete Recovery (but you'll lose everything). You may be able to connect your hard drive (jumpered to Slave or Cable Select) in another computer, to the slave connector on the IDE cable, then recover your files from within the operating system on the other computer. -kd5-

another easy way to back up your things is to use a thumb/flash drive....you can get a 2 gig drive fairly cheap nowdays

I use SMP6 and love it.You said that you made changes reccomended by the program.It also contains a feature which allows you to reverse them.Open "Main Menu",click "Maintinance", ",click on "Inspect and Undo Changes".Select the menu option you used to make those reccomended changes and find them.Then simply undo them.This well almost all the time. Best of luck!