Change Mode

I just got into the market for a new computer, as my old one isn't really mine and I now need one for my own. It seems a lot has happened since the last time i looked around at computer parts; Socket 939/940 seems to have been completely phased out and nVidia cards are now in the 10(?) series. I really have no idea how company's quality have changed - my 8 year old system is a socket A with mostly MSI parts - but the market for all sorts of different parts seems to have expanded greatly.

So I guess I'm here to ask what would be the best decision for someone with a budget under $999 US. I used to laugh at companies like Dell, but they *seem* to have improved somewhat, though i don't know if its enough to constitute buying a premade computer. Alternatively, I'm completely capable of buying all the stuff on my own and building it, its only that I'm not sure which will be cheapest or more worth while.

So can anyone give some solid reasons to buy a premade (and who to buy it from)? If not, can someone give me some examples of some good brands and/or models for individual parts? I'd honestly not rather chuck out extra $$ for ASUS gear or the fastest possible ram and CPU - entry level stuff that will allow me room to fiddle with should work fine.

[e] Also I could honestly care less about Vista right now, so having something thats Vista compatible is not important. I do have copies of Win XP Pro, XP 64 Bit and Win Server 2003, and if anyone can say if one of these is better than the other (in general), i would appreciate knowing why.

Edited by mule

building a PC is not too hard, and a fun project. :)

Yes. I am doing it for the first time as well. It gives you the feeliong of ahh I did it. I think as I have not got all the parts yet. But it is a nice feeling thus far..

And caintry_boy is correct. I have that cpu and it seems to be a very good pick B)

Edited by da_bears

mule, with a budget under or at $999.99 you are right on the edge of which would be the better option. If that budget includes everything including keyboard, mouse, and monitor then here's my attempt to get you there building your own.

Acer 17" LCD $159.99

Antec Black Case and 400watt PowerSupply $109.99

MSI 965 $90.00

Conroe Core2 Duo E6400 $222.00

2Gigs Patriot 6400 DDR2$204.99 $50.00 rebate not deducted.

250gig Segate HD $70.00

DVD/CD LiteOn $28.99

Windows XP Home OEM. $89.00

There you go. I think that is at about $1006.00 but there's a $50.00 rebate in there that I didn't deduct. I'm sure there are cheaper prices for comparable products but that's just a one time through.

will be outdated in year yes but still will kick :filtered: in games:)

my system i built this christmas is still going strong in games and i yet to find a game that holds it down:)

also my laptop still maxes all the current games out and thats about 1year and 3months old:)

i feel this desktop will last me about 3years or more befor building another one again lol.

i usely build one when i cant upgrade my video card no more which is importen the most in gaming which i do allways:)

me i dont think nothing is outdated till it lets me down in games which my desktop or laptop hasint yet:)

Edited by gordesky1

Sure, it'll last you as long as you want it, but at the pace games are moving, even the most powerful video card you can buy today will be outdated in a matter of months.

Okay I looked at the stuff cantry and shogan posted, and so I guess Intel procs are now better than AMD? Though I would prefer to stick with AMD, if Intel's stuff is really better then I guess its time for a switch then.

As far as other stuff goes, I'm not really looking to skimp on the parts that need to last- namely my PSU, HDDs, Mobo and monitor. I can stick with the entry level processor (if it were an AMD then I was thinking just like the 3000+ or equivalent), 1 gig of ram, and a decent entry level video card (the GS series seem nice on my wallet). As mentioned i also dont need an OS, but if someone can give me a good reason for installing Win Xp 64 Bit Edition or WinServer 2k3 over just normal Windows XP, I would like to know.

Get rid of the sound card, and the total cost is just over a grand. I'm sure you can spare a few bucks over $999.

Edit: Stick with XP 32bit. I prefer Server 2003 over them all, but it's a server OS above all.

Edited by brandon

Get rid of the sound card, and the total cost is just over a grand. I'm sure you can spare a few bucks over $999.

Edit: Stick with XP 32bit. I prefer Server 2003 over them all, but it's a server OS above all.

So what does the 64-bit version have (or not have) that makes it less favorable then the 32-bit version?

the 64 bit version, is just that. It utilizes the 64 bit cpu's and programs. But I dont think anything utilizes 64 bit now anyway

Well I did a bit of reading, and it seems to be a bit more than that. With Vista now out, it also seems like XP 64 bit edition has become sort of a dead end in terms of support and updates. I think I might try WinServer 2k3.

So what does the 64-bit version have (or not have) that makes it less favorable then the 32-bit version?

There can be quite a bit of a performance increase with some apps if they are 64bit, but they are far & few in between. 64bit drivers, codecs, and software aren't nearly as commonplace as their 32bit counterparts.

Mule right now Intel is producing cpus that are much better than what AMD has to offer. Even considering price. If you are ok with the items I listed you could switch to the other MSI motherboard and Add a EVGA 7600 GT vid card and be in pretty good shape for about 1150.00. If you already have a case, hard drive, OS, then I would go for a better vid card. Leave the 2 gigs of ram and the good processor as is. The board I replaced had the option of going SLI later or using raid. The less expensive motherboard doesn't have those options.

Mule right now Intel is producing cpus that are much better than what AMD has to offer. Even considering price. If you are ok with the items I listed you could switch to the other MSI motherboard and Add a EVGA 7600 GT vid card and be in pretty good shape for about 1150.00. If you already have a case, hard drive, OS, then I would go for a better vid card. Leave the 2 gigs of ram and the good processor as is. The board I replaced had the option of going SLI later or using raid. The less expensive motherboard doesn't have those options.

I guess a better way of making my decision is to think about the future - that is to say what are AMD and Intel doing in terms of future technology? Though I've only ever really used AMD processors, if Intel and their Core2 stuff is the better choice now and in the foreseeable future (at least a good year or so), then I would be fine with switching. On the other hand, this could just be a fluke and AMD will reclaim its title in a couple months (with something new?), and i would be stuck with an obsolete board and CPU.

Barcelona (AMDs Quad core offering) based on what some people at Extreme Systems said is going to be an awesome processor. I read on average, it performs 10% better than Core 2, which is quite a bit considering it doesn't have as many execution units.

I'll dig up the thread where it is said if I can find it again.

I'd say go AMD if you can wait a while. If you must have a fast processor now, go Core 2. However, the X2 3600+ is only $85, and with AM2, you have an upgrade path to AMD's quad core offering.

Edited by brandon