Want to Edit Vista's Restore size ?

I'm really hoping this hasn't been posted before, I've been searching for a few hours and couldn't find anything about doing this anywhere, and then I found it, so here is how to change the size in Vista for those that want to.

1/ Click Start

2/ From the Start menu Click All programs followed by Accessories

3/ On the Accessories menu Right Click on the Command Prompt option

4/ From the drop Down menu that appears, click the Run as administrator option

5/ When the Command Prompt window opens type: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[here add the drive letter]: /For=[here add the drive letter]: /Maxsize=[here add the maximum size] and Press Enter

6/ if all goes well you should see a message saying 'Successfully resized the shadow copy storage association

7/ Your System Restore shadow storage has now been resized

Thats it, I had to try a couple of times to crack it but here is the exact command line I used in this system including spaces and case size and it worked for me.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=19.2GB
This changed my restore size from something like 96gig (but bear in mind this system is running raid0 with 2 x 320 gig drives which show up as around 600 gig), so it was a massive lump, but now it is only 38.4GB as I'm guessing it should be enough basing it on 3% of the total drive size as the recommended size for xp's restore system, but choose whatever size you feel is right, enjoy.

Obviously theres no way I know enough about PC's to figure this out myself, but I wish I had such talents lol, but all credit has to go to the following link where I finally found this solution.

vistasupport.mvps.org

*edit

A very late one at that, originally I used 6% as a suggested size, this was based on the pits suggestion of 6% going way back from their tests, but due to a more recent suggestion here at the pit of 3% I have just now changed this here to keep it more up with recent suggestions, obviously use whatever size you feel most comfy with.

Edited by 8210GUY

A nice tip and it's become a part of my routine when working on Vista rigs.

I too stumbled at first, but quickly realized it was merely a typo from Mr. Barnett's page:

C:\Windows\system32>ssadmin resize shadowstorage /On=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=2GB

s/b: vssadmin as shown in 8210GUY's example.

I've been setting at approximetly 5% of the drive size and haven't run into any roadblocks thus far. :mrgreen:

My thanks to Indy and 8210GUY for the info.

:)Y

• 1 month later...

Snip:

Thats it, I had to try a couple of times to crack it but here is the exact command line I used in this system including spaces and case size and it worked for me.

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=38.4GB

Excellent! :clap: To bad MS didn't think to put this in "Control Panel". I never could have come up with this on my own!

• 7 months later...

excellent tip guys :clap:

i copy/pasted your cmd prompt and edited mine to 28.4GB got the A OK msg ......

running a WD 250gb and a seagate 320gb ( no Raid )

re edited it again since my C partition is only 76gb i dropped it to 4.8gb ...

Just edited it to keep up with the more recent thinking of 3% as being enough, originally I was working off 6% as thats what the pit tests used to suggest way back, so I just brought it into line with the more recent info now that this has reminded me.

You can't, at least I don't think you can, definitely not like you could in xp anyway, as I said in the opening post vista uses 15% as default, so unless anyone has changed it previously then it will still be taking 15% of your drive(s), the ONLY way to change that size is as per the command line I gave, just edit the size of how much space you want used in place of the example I used on this build and your done, hope that helps a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to list what percentage is being used without changing anything? I'd like to get that info first.

To simply display how much is being used, type this and follow it with enter:

vssadmin list shadowstorage