Sign in to follow this  
stormystar

Can't connect to the internet since virus.

Hi

I am using a wireless network (linksys). My main computer and laptop work fine but I have another computer that was connecting fine but now won't. I got a virus/trojan on it and since then it says its connected but I get the yellow triangle that says "limited or no connectivity" and it says that the computer did not assign a network address. I've run my anti-virus, spyware cleaner etc etc, and they found things which they deleted/moved/healed etc. I've tried re-installing the network conection, tried using system restore but it keeps saying it cant restore to an earlier point. I dont know what else to do. I am unable to use any online tools as I cant connect. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

:wp:

We can try this but I can't guarantee it will restore the connection.

Go to Start -> Control Panel, and choose Network Connections. Then right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and left click on properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically. Click OK twice, and restart your computer.

Sometimes a bad DNS entry is cached

To get rid of it, go to Start > Run, and in the Open area type in: cmd

At the command prompt, copy/paste the following:

ipconfig /flushdns

Type: Exit to go out of the command prompt.

In addition to Juliet's excellent recommendations, it may be as simple as:

Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /release

Start - Run - (type)ipconfig /renew

If this is a Window XP operating system machine, you can use a handy free tool from Snapfiles:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

download it with another machine and then save to CD or thumb drive to applie to the problem machine.

________

If the above has not helped....

It is possible that a problem has occurred that has corrupted your Firewall settings.

If so, proceed as follows:

§ "The Windows firewall works closely with Winsock. It appears that the spyware is insinuating itself into the startup of the firewall. When you remove the files, the Registry can't find them. So, it refuses to start the firewall service.

"Repairing Winsock formerly meant going into the Registry. You had to track down the offending keys and delete them. But Windows has a command that will do the job.

"To run the command, click Start, Run. Type cmd in the box and click OK. That will put you at a command prompt. Enter netsh winsock reset and press Enter. Close the DOS window and reboot the computer.

Start - Run - (type)CMD - Enter

In the DOS box (type)netsh winsock reset

"After doing the above, you should be good to go!"

Information about recovering from Winsock corruption is documented in more detail by Microsoft in Knowledge Base article 811259 and, for fixing general TCP/IP corruption, KB 317518.

Start - Run - (type)CMD - Enter

In the DOS box (type)netsh winsock reset

Thanks for the info. This seemed to work but my desktop is now white, cannot apply a wallpaper, if I try it says I have a virus called "spysheriff" my anti-virus (avg) says it cant be healed but warns me against moving it to the virusvault as it says it could make the system unstable. My net connection is coming up as connected fine but no webpages will load. any ideas?

Hi again

Right, I am now on the net, my spyware programme deleted "desktop.html" from windows. My only small problem now is that my desktop is just blue and I cant change it. Also, is there any good online or free programmes that I can now run to make sure I get rid of all the viruses/trojans? As when I start up I get loads of warnings of stuff found and my anti-virus will heal them but obviously it'll be a bit of a pain to keep doing that each time I start up.

Thankyou very much for your help with my connection problem :)

You will benefit from some Expert help in removing this nasty malware.

Read the "Pinned Posts" here: http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=25

Download HJT.exe from here: http://www.radiosplace.com

Create a New Folder on C:\ Something like this ---> C:\HiJackThis\

Save your download into that New Folder ---> will look like this C:\HiJackThis\hjt.exe

Run HJT by double-clicking on hjt.exe

Select - "Run a system scan and save a log file"

Copy/Paste the HJT Log that is created in NotePad as a New Topic over in the HiJackThis Logs Forum.

If you are unable to to use the infected machine to download HJT.exe, use another machine.

HJT.exe is a small file that can be transfered to a Floppy, or you can burn it to CD

Similarly, the HJT Log will be small in filesize, and can be copied to Floppy or CD to transfer back to a functional machine for posting to HiJackThis Logs Forum.

Best Regards

Edited by Doug

Hi

I am using a wireless network (linksys). My main computer and laptop work fine but I have another computer that was connecting fine but now won't. I got a virus/trojan on it and since then it says its connected but I get the yellow triangle that says "limited or no connectivity" and it says that the computer did not assign a network address. I've run my anti-virus, spyware cleaner etc etc, and they found things which they deleted/moved/healed etc. I've tried re-installing the network conection, tried using system restore but it keeps saying it cant restore to an earlier point. I dont know what else to do. I am unable to use any online tools as I cant connect. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

Instead try unistalling Internet Explorer, and re-installing it. To unistall it go to Start, Settings, and Add and Remove Programs, and click Add/Remove Windows Components. To install just do the same thing go to Start, Settings, Add and Remove Programs, and click Add/Remove Windows Components.

The best plan here and in most all cases of possible infection is to obtain as much solid information as possible, and take a proven course of action to remedy any identified problems.

HJT and other advanced tools provide the best course of action to acquire that information.

And trained/Trusted Advisors are the best experts to offer assistance.

It is never a good idea to install Windows components when the operating system may be infected.

Any further systems work can be handled after malware has been removed.

Best Regards

Hello

First post and I hope it can be successful. I have a similar problem from above, I had a malware hicky madoodel and then it changed my desktop, locked me out of task manager and continually popped Firefox to a russian spyware site.

I went into the registry and got rid of the lock on Task Manager, got rid of the lock on the background, and most of the other items. All seemed good..not so much.

I then was going on the internet but when I did google searches, it would do the search, but then the link would take me to another site. Well I ran malwarebytes, symantec and spybot and found some other trojans, so I killed them...

NOW, :pullhair: none of my browsers will find websites. I have network connectivity, I can connect to ventrillio, other users on the same machine can connect, all other functions seem to work, but I cannot view any websites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will help anyone else out that I can that may have the same issues, it has taken me too much time already to solve this crazy problem, so if I can help someone else I will be glad to..

Thanks

mastdog