Change Mode

Pc reboot's while using it

Hello,

lately my PC reboots 1-2 times eveytime we use it

Then I get a popup saying that a the comp just recovered for a serious error.

Any ideas?

Need more info?

I tried to do a pc test/scan but it failed, I will try later

Thanks

Rick

It is a

emachine W3400

3000+ AMD athlon64 processor

80 GB

512 mb

several things can cause it to randomly crash, first thing would be to open it up and see if it needs to be cleaned out, excessive dust in the fan/heatsink will cause it to run too hot and overheat. After that run it in safemode to see if it still crashes, if it does, then you can get an application to test your memory, I personally suspect the power supply cuz e-machines are known for bad power supplies

System recovered from a serious error makes me lean towards a software(Windows) issue. Read the following link and run the utility. Also take a venture into the Event Viewer to see if it's recording errors under System or Application.

hxxp://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

System recovered from a serious error makes me lean towards a software(Windows) issue. Read the following link and run the utility. Also take a venture into the Event Viewer to see if it's recording errors under System or Application.

hxxp://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Ok I tried to scan but I just get a dos looking window that pops up for about 1 second then dissapears, and thats it

Thanks

Rick

Thanks .

Out of the things that I could match up , I ended up with this number 185 watts

Rick

That seems about right. I need to know how many watts your current power supply is. Could you open up your computer and look at the power supply. It should say the amount of watts on a label on it :geezer:

Also how long have you had your computer?

That seems about right. I need to know how many watts your current power supply is. Could you open up your computer and look at the power supply. It should say the amount of watts on a label on it :geezer:

Also how long have you had your computer?

If I get time I will open it up tomorrow,

The computer is about 1 1/2 years old.

Thanks

Rick

I doubt the Power supply is your problem. I wouldn't completely rule it out though. Have you scanned with memtest86 yet?

No I haven't been able to get it to open. Here is what I posted for that

QUOTE(BongPig @ 7:40pm Tue Mar 6 2007)

That's it. Temps don't look too bad. I don't think that's the problem. Following another of JoeC's suggestions here's a link to a memory tester.. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/memtest86.html

Looks like I need to burn this to a disk, does that sound correct? do I need a special program to burn a ISO file?

Thanks

Rick

I think you need to burn the .iso file to a CD and boot from it. There is a good tutorial on how to do all of this here. I would recommend using the free trial version of Alcohol 120% if you don't have a program that will burn .isos. I would recommend running the test overnight. If it finds a single error then you have a bad stick of ram :geezer:

I think you need to burn the .iso file to a CD and boot from it. There is a good tutorial on how to do all of this here. I would recommend using the free trial version of Alcohol 120% if you don't have a program that will burn .isos. I would recommend running the test overnight. If it finds a single error then you have a bad stick of ram :geezer:

Did the test last night, ended up with 0 errors on 46 tests on the ram that came with the pc,

on the 2nd stick I did 10 tests with no errors

Thanks

Rick