Change Mode

A friend of mine lives in the country and has no access to high-speed internet, so he has dial-up. He has XP Home, and is absolutely new to computers. Is there something he could install on his computer to speed up downloads, email, etc? He's already had all the settings optimized for dial-up.

One piece of advice I would give your friend though would be, to shut down any running programs that he doesn't need that may be using bandwidth with updates and so forth. You want to devote as much of the bandwidth as possible to the task at hand.

Edited by BongPig

A friend of mine lives in the country and has no access to high-speed internet, so he has dial-up. He has XP Home, and is absolutely new to computers. Is there something he could install on his computer to speed up downloads, email, etc? He's already had all the settings optimized for dial-up.

Tighten the string between the tin cans... :P

Thanks, Bong. I just looked at the size of that puppy - almost 2400kb. At dialup speeds, how long would that take to download? I've had DSL so long I don't remember how slow dialup can be.

Theoldgardener, thanks for the laugh! It's been a long frustrating day, and I really needed that. I'll pass it on, he's got a great sense of humor.