Change Mode

I'm looking at a couple of monitors, one for a new build similar to my spec, and one for myself, will probably get the same one for each of us, I've picked out a couple, but wondered what people thought of them, or whether you had a better selection.

They will be mainly used for surfing, but maybe the odd game and movie as well, so I'm looking at widescreen mainly, unless theres a reason not too ?

These are what I have found

Not a widescreen though and Widescreen

Not sure how much the SXGA makes to it ?

It's 6ms, I've just come across another one as well >>>Here<<< which is 4ms, but it is only 1440 x 900 which my limited understanding is not that great ?

Thanks for the reply :b33r: any further comments\conclusions with this extra info ?

I have a couple Envisions at 1440 900. Great monitors, look fantastic, and I won't buy another non-wide screen after using them.

What makes you thing there is something wrong with 1440 900?

im using THIS monitor at the moment and find it great. Thing is it only has 1 analog input which became a problem when i wanted to put my xbox 360 in it aswell as i had to keep swaping leads between my pc and 360...a KVM switch sorted that tho.

Looks good, but no DVI ?

Also someone had said about WXGA\SXGA, I can't recall why but does it mean anything to you as that one has it ?

Thanks for the tip though, I would prefer one with speakers, although not essential.

Any other pointers\suggestions ? I need to get this ordered today really to get it in time for what I need.

I use a Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" widescreen LCD. It's the best thing i've ever bought for my computer. It's has d-sub, dvi, s-video, and composite inputs. So you can have a device of each type connected to it and switch between the inputs with a push of a button on the monitor. It can do PIP with the multiple input sources or can view two sources side by side. You can also physically rotate the monitor screen to view it as a long screen from top to bottom rather than wide side to side.

Yeah seen some of the dells and they seem to be ideal, problem is price, they are well over what the other monitor's cost and are well over my budget unfortunately.

So presumably if they carry those marks they should be a better quality then ?

Thanks for the replies, going to have to order one by Sunday at the latest or I wont get them in time, just hope I choose the best one lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah seen some of the dells and they seem to be ideal, problem is price, they are well over what the other monitor's cost and are well over my budget unfortunately.

So presumably if they carry those marks they should be a better quality then ?

Thanks for the replies, going to have to order one by Sunday at the latest or I wont get them in time, just hope I choose the best one lol.

I am thinking about this one for my new PC. I am going to build one at the end of the month (or when the CPU prices dip! apparently they are?) I gonna buy it from Microdirect though as its £20 cheaper, but they dont have a pic of it at the moment on their website.

I play alot of COD2, so as you can imagine..... it needs to look good!

Edited by DonJayok

Yes that is certainly a sweet monitor, it came out just as I bought the one I got (I went for the 204BW), but that one was well over my budget or else I would of had it like a shot, so I'm sure you'll be very happy with that one, it sounds exceptional.

I plunged into the LCD market just this last Christmas.

I had been using a 21" CRT, but I moved over to a SAMSUNG 225BW Black 22" 5 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor.

I have been thouroughly impressed.

I play many games including Guild Wars, CS:Source, Battlefield 2 and 2142.

There is no ghosting.

The picture is great and web browsing is a joy :)

It's native resolution is 1680x1050. So to truely appreciate the monitor you need to play your games at that res. If the monitor has to dither down to a different resolution the image will of course will not be as good as on most other LCD's.

So you need a good video card as well so your frame rates won't suffer.

So you need a good video card as well so your frame rates won't suffer.

Well Ed, I plan to get the BFG 8800GTS 320mb so hopefully that will do the job!

Is the games alot better in widescreen in your opinion? Did you take time to adjust to playing games in widescreen?

most of the games out now dont even have native widescreen support (BF2,BF2142,R6V etc) so you have to alter the confing file.Here is a good forum to find out how to do that.

Edited by Rebel=UK=

most of the games out now dont even have native widescreen support (BF2,BF2142,R6V etc) so you have to alter the confing file.Here is a good forum to find out how to do that.

Nice one rebel...

I didnt think that would be an issue tbh. I just assumed that the games would play in widescreen.

I will check out the link when I get home as the company I work for has blocked that site :rolleyes: