Change Mode

Customizing FireFox Using about:config

Firefox 2.0 and above adds tab scrolling to the mix when you have too many tabs to view on your screen, but I am not a big fan. I would prefer seeing as many tabs as I can without scrolling. What can be done to change/customize this? Typing about:config (italics are mine for emphasis) in your browser window, opens a world of customizing goodies. The first thing you want to do to get more room for tabs is to dump the the close button for each individual inactive tab. Go to

browser.tabs.closeButtons

double-click it and change the value to 0

Now only the active window has a close button.

Next to change tab widths go to

browser.tabs.tabMinWidth

and change by double-clicking the default, which is set to 100, to something that works for you. I set mine to 55 and now I do not need to scroll anymore. Mine are a little squished, but most are identifiable by the little familiar icon in the tab.

A big :tup: to MaximumPC Magazine, March 07; the article says this is just the tip of the customizing iceberg: go to http://www.tinyurl.com/8swbh and customize to your heart’s content

Find something else you like? Report it back in this thread, please.

Thanks, ffr2 :)

Edit: One thing on my wish list--can you help? I have been on the lookout for some little program that would change the order of bookmarks, putting the newest bookmarks at the top. When I go to look at my bookmarks, I do not want to scroll through all my old ones to get to the new. Seems logical to me to put the newest at the top, true? Surely I am not the first to want this feature. What am I missing :shrug:

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Edit: One thing on my wish list--can you help? I have been on the lookout for some little program that would change the order of bookmarks, putting the newest bookmarks at the top. When I go to look at my bookmarks, I do not want to scroll through all my old ones to get to the new. Seems logical to me to put the newest at the top, true? Surely I am not the first to want this feature. What am I missing :shrug:

in firefox go to bookmarks then organize bookmarks then click view and select sort by added and then descending :D

in firefox go to bookmarks then organize bookmarks then click view and select sort by added and then descending :D

Thanks, I was just playing with those, but I couldn't find the right combo (d'oh moment) :tup: