Change Mode

How to do a clean install of Vista on Nvidia raid0.

OneCool

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=RPLLFW9ULGWSVYAJ thats with 2 crappy WD 80gig sata drives.

You cant do it with one floppy.The files you need are 1.7mb.

Download and unpack the latest nvidia chipset driver for AMD NF4 http://www.nvidia.com/content/license/loca...nglish_whql.exe

Unpack them,goto where there unpacked and click nvidia/nforcewinvista/15.00/IDE/WinVista/

You dont need the RAIDTOOL!!!

You need the 2 others

SATA_IDE

SATARAID

Them combined are 1.70mb

If all you have is a floppy drive then install EACH one on a seperate formatted floppy.

I used a 2gig USB thumb drive and it worked great and alot faster :tup:

Configure your bios and raid0 setups as always

Once you get to the Hardrive configure screen in Vista click "load driver" If a floppy user insert the SATA_IDE driver flop and click next.Browse If a thumb drive or burned CD and direct Vista to SATA_IDE file.Vista will pick the driver.

Load that driver.

Your seperate drives will become one big drive :clap:

Highlite that drive and click "load driver" click "browse" point it to SATARAID driver both of your drivers will pop up

Raid and Controller driver..INSTALL BOTH just like XP

Click next B)

Great info there OneCool! My one question is, I do have a 128mb thumb drive and did download the nforce 4 drivers onto it, so I just have it pligged in to my usb and windows will read it and give me the choice of drivers to download? Hate sounding stupid , but it's the first time for Vista and USB. :blink:

Great info there OneCool! My one question is, I do have a 128mb thumb drive and did download the nforce 4 drivers onto it, so I just have it pligged in to my usb and windows will read it and give me the choice of drivers to download? Hate sounding stupid , but it's the first time for Vista and USB. :blink:

Vista will let you "browse" drives.If your thumb drive is in it will see it as drive "c"

I don't understand? when I made a clean install from XP, my drives are in 1 like XP anyway so does that mean I am still on RAID0?

I havnt tried the upgrade from XP to Vista but im guessing yes your still in Raid0.

The Nvidia SATA/IDE driver in XP (Vista doesnt have one) you was using made it show up as one drive in Vista

I havnt tried the upgrade from XP to Vista but im guessing yes your still in Raid0.

The Nvidia SATA/IDE driver in XP (Vista doesnt have one) you was using made it show up as one drive in Vista

On PitTest, it says -2 (I am back in XP for alittle while because of games).

• 3 weeks later...

well I got the drivers, and i did like you said, but it still always shows my hard drives as three seperate HD's. no matter what I do. :cr@sh:

I set up my raid, strip at 128 then boot to the vista DVD, it shows three HD's I load the drivers (im using two seperate floppys) but always shows them as three seperate HD's

one thing i will ask, should they be all unallocated HD's? for some reason mine show up as partioned empty drives?

thanks

well, this is what I did, I deleted my array, then built a new one, set it to boot.

then boot to vista DVD, and had two floppies ready, the IDE, and the RAID, once it get to the HD's to install too, I see three of them. I then go to load drivers, load the IDE and the RAID. but it still shows as three HD's and not one.

one thing like i mentioned, do they have to be unpartitioned? mine we showing as they were :unsure: should I delete the partitions? then load the drivers? will that show them as one big HD instead of three seperate one?

thanks coolman :b33r:

When I did mine the 4 drives showed up as unallocated space on all 4 drives.

If you have partitions on the drives you may want to Zero them out first ,then redo your Raid setup in the BIOS and try loading Vista again.

When I did mine the 4 drives showed up as unallocated space on all 4 drives.

If you have partitions on the drives you may want to Zero them out first ,then redo your Raid setup in the BIOS and try loading Vista again.

Mine is still at 2 in 1 HDD Raid-0 and my test still shows -2, I guess I am still on RAID-0 since it loads up in RAID and capacity seem to be the same as XP. I am thinking its the PitTest for me. I have a Vista Ultimate Upgrade Edition but I used it as Clean Install from XP.

Mine is still at 2 in 1 HDD Raid-0 and my test still shows -2, I guess I am still on RAID-0 since it loads up in RAID and capacity seem to be the same as XP. I am thinking its the PitTest for me. I have a Vista Ultimate Upgrade Edition but I used it as Clean Install from XP.

Have you run a Atto ( disk benchmark) test yet?

• 1 month later...

Vista will let you "browse" drives.If your thumb drive is in it will see it as drive "c"

When I did this one vista only saw the thumb drive as C IF I plugged it it from the beginning and left it there, if you keep the drive unplugged until you are literally about to install the drivers it will be seen as the E drive (or whatever is the next letter depending on the drives you have.

As to negative numbers returned on the pit test this has been addressed, right click on the IE icon you use to launch your browser and select to run as admin, then the test will return correct readings, just remember to close and relaunch your browser when finished to continue safe browsing.

Also remember to check the box appropriately so it only shows you the drivers compatible with your system then when you browse to the raid folder highlight all the drivers shown by holding the ctrl button while clicking on each in turn, then add them, once the raid drivers are installed you can continue the install, then when you get to your desktop for the first time reinstall the main drivers again to add the drivers it still requires then you should be good to go.

But if you can't see your drive(s) remember to set up any raid array as you would in xp, then when you get to the install screen click on new, then format, after that you should be able to see your drive(as) to install to, but what I would do first is make sure I have ALL the vista drivers required for my hardware, that way I'm ready for everything it throws at me, obviously if you don't have a driver for something then you are at the mercy of vista and if it will deal with it for you.