Sign in to follow this  
caintry_boy

Hot Flashing

Well it's fairly cut and dried.......if you're like some of us and want to run "all out", you inevitably sometime will want to flash to the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Come on, we've all done it! For some of us though the flash fails for whatever reasons and we're left with a corrupted BIOS/dead mobo.

What to do? What to do?

HOT FLASH THAT BABY!!!!!

First you need another BIOS chip, a live/good one, preferably identical to the dead one you have.

You also need two floppy disks, one boot floppy and one with the correct BIOS and flash program on it.

Make certain that you are set to boot from floppy disk first.

Here's how:

The process is fairly simple;

1. Locate the motherboards BIOS chip

2. Pop out the dead BIOS chip and replace it with the good chip. Don't insert it fully, use only enough force to lightly push it in enough to make contact....in just a few minutes, you're going to have to pop it right back out, hopefully without having to fight it.

3. Insert the boot floppy into the A:\ drive

4. Power on and select "minimal start"

5. Now touch the side of your case to discharge any static electricity, then without touching anything, reach in carefully.....remember the system is Hot, and pop out the good BIOS chip. Replace it with the dead BIOS chip.

6. Take out the boot floppy and insert the BIOS floppy. Type dir /w

7. Type the name of the flash program, leave a space and type the name of the BIOS you want to flash. It should look something like this without quotes "awdflash AW9D_13.bin" Hit enter. DO NOT POWER OFF OR TOUCH ANYTHING!!!

8. Flash program comes up, flashes BIOS

9. Exit, shut down, and clear CMOS.

10 Restart, enter CMOS/BIOS and reset everything to your liking, then restart your now alive computer. :banana:

Here are a couple of guides to help you along in case I don't make sense, or being a "caintry_boy", y'all don't trust me.....:

http://www.rainbow-software.org/hardware/hotflash.html

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=62&pgno=0

Here is a Flash Program that will work if all else fails. Use at your own risk, I have used it and it save my "bacon" once or twice.

UniFlash

Hey! Be safe out there! You don't want to have to do this if you don't have to...... :geezer:

Well it's fairly cut and dried.......if you're like some of us and want to run "all out", you inevitably sometime will want to flash to the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Come on, we've all done it! For some of us though the flash fails for whatever reasons and we're left with a corrupted BIOS/dead mobo.

What to do? What to do?

HOT FLASH THAT BABY!!!!!

First you need another BIOS chip, a live/good one, preferably identical to the dead one you have.

You also need two floppy disks, one boot floppy and one with the correct BIOS and flash program on it.

Make certain that you are set to boot from floppy disk first.

Here's how:

The process is fairly simple;

1. Locate the motherboards BIOS chip

2. Pop out the dead BIOS chip and replace it with the good chip. Don't insert it fully, use only enough force to lightly push it in enough to make contact....in just a few minutes, you're going to have to pop it right back out, hopefully without having to fight it.

3. Insert the boot floppy into the A:\ drive

4. Power on and select "minimal start"

5. Now touch the side of your case to discharge any static electricity, then without touching anything, reach in carefully.....remember the system is Hot, and pop out the good BIOS chip. Replace it with the dead BIOS chip.

6. Take out the boot floppy and insert the BIOS floppy. Type dir /w

7. Type the name of the flash program, leave a space and type the name of the BIOS you want to flash. It should look something like this without quotes "awdflash AW9D_13.bin" Hit enter. DO NOT POWER OFF OR TOUCH ANYTHING!!!

8. Flash program comes up, flashes BIOS

9. Exit, shut down, and clear CMOS.

10 Restart, enter CMOS/BIOS and reset everything to your liking, then restart your now alive computer. :banana:

Here are a couple of guides to help you along in case I don't make sense, or being a "caintry_boy", y'all don't trust me.....:

http://www.rainbow-software.org/hardware/hotflash.html

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=62&pgno=0

Here is a Flash Program that will work if all else fails. Use at your own risk, I have used it and it save my "bacon" once or twice.

UniFlash

Hey! Be safe out there! You don't want to have to do this if you don't have to...... :geezer:

Great guide CB :tup:

Also check this place out if all the above fails (or you need to get a new chip to hotflash your old one) http://www.badflash.com/ great site. Saved me twice now.

Disclaimer:

We would like to appologise to of all the 50+ year old unhappy men, looking for answers for all the strange behavior thier wives are showing at home being googled to this thread.

We appologise for the inconvience, please follow this link back to google: http://www.google.com

:laughing: Sorry, couldn't resist :mrgreen:

Edit: And nice job there CB :tup:

X_C

Edited by X_C

i have also seen some sites that sell the actual chip w/ bios on it for different boards that you just swap it out, not having to worry 'bout hot flashing *shrugz*

the only board i've ever had freeze during a flash was luckily the one board i've had with the 'dual' bios chips that reloads itself if you mess up. that's a really awesome feature.

i have also seen some sites that sell the actual chip w/ bios on it for different boards that you just swap it out, not having to worry 'bout hot flashing *shrugz*

the only board i've ever had freeze during a flash was luckily the one board i've had with the 'dual' bios chips that reloads itself if you mess up. that's a really awesome feature.

wd, Abit sells 'em. And there's always Bad Flash

:geezer: