Sign in to follow this  
luckyone87

Kernel Stack inpage error-Blue Screen

I got a blue screen with a Kernel Stack inpage error and think it might be a virus. Have norton, Zone alarm, spy sweeper, ran adaware. I can't download active x now from my browser or PCpitstop virus scan dll dont match??

Should run highjack this?? Yes tell me how please

Thanks

Edited by luckyone87

Yes it could be a master boot record virus, or any of the other issues listed in the KB articles that travyboy00 correctly links for you.

I've recently dealt with this problem on a machine that a customer "threw away" because several tech shops had declared it un-repairable. The machine had pre-loaded XP Home with no Recovery Disk and a faulty Recovery System partition D:\ drive.

I decided to take a shot at it as a fixer-upper.

I first walked through the Recovery System with HP/Compaq Tech help, who eventually declared the hardware to be faulty. They suggested new RAM and a new Hard Drive and stipulated that I'd have to buy a new Retail copy of XP to make a clean installation. They stated that HP/Compaq Recovery CD would not be of any use in this situation. They further stipulated that possible/probably motherboard faults would require additional hardware purchase. (no wonder the previous owner threw it away)

I didn't like any of that news.

I put all the dllcache files (i386) onto the C:\ drive and attempted sfc /scannow ---- it failed, and I was back at the same blue screen you mention.

I then attempted chkdsk /f /r, which found and corrected 48 items recorded on bad-sectors.

But after that first chkdsk /f /r scan, any time I tried a system tool like Defrag or CleanMgr or SFC, I got the blue screen again.

I eventually ran chkdsk /f /r seven additional times, finding an additional 70+ items recorded on bad-sectors.

CHKDSK /f /r was able to repair them all with the multiple runs that I completed, until no more errors were detected.

I was then able to run sfc /scannow to replace missing or corrupted operating system files.

I then selected No Paging File, and ran Defrag. (just a guess, based on the MS KB article above)

I then installed SP2 from the MS SP2 download (hoping that SP2 would add/correct any remaining operating system glitches.

I then went to MS Updates and accepted all the updates (except IE 7.0)

I then dumpted the Restore Points and ran Defrag.

I then re-enabled System Retore.

I then set Paging File Min and Max at 3x the amoun to physical RAM.

I then ran chkdsk /f /r again and thankfully found no faults.

The machine is running well. As a matter of fact, I'm typing on it right now and it will probably become my work bench machine.

Here's the TechExpress for how it's running now:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=MVZGFW4NURWSPRAJ

Be persistent with chkdsk /f /r............... it might pay off for you too.

Best Regards

Edited by Doug

I've just gotten this error too (didn't want to double post). But I got this error from burning a DvD. I'm using NEC 3550A, Windows XP Media Center OS. I ran CHKDSK but it got stuck at 51%. Its not interfering with my work but this is the second time this has occured to me. Any help would be appreciated.

sorry to bump this up but i too have been having this problem ALOT!

more and more frequent.

i believe is was from a 3rd party program.

usually i DO NOT overwrite an older file with a new one while a program is installing, but i guess i might have done that.

ran the chkdsk /f /r and it did its thing, now im on to the sfc /scannow utility.

hopefully all will be good and i wont have to format/ reinstall windows xp pro as i h8 that so much with all the software i have on my system.

with this needed bump/update, i think more people will find this usefull.

Yes it could be a master boot record virus, or any of the other issues listed in the KB articles that travyboy00 correctly links for you.

I've recently dealt with this problem on a machine that a customer "threw away" because several tech shops had declared it un-repairable. The machine had pre-loaded XP Home with no Recovery Disk and a faulty Recovery System partition D:\ drive.

I decided to take a shot at it as a fixer-upper.

I first walked through the Recovery System with HP/Compaq Tech help, who eventually declared the hardware to be faulty. They suggested new RAM and a new Hard Drive and stipulated that I'd have to buy a new Retail copy of XP to make a clean installation. They stated that HP/Compaq Recovery CD would not be of any use in this situation. They further stipulated that possible/probably motherboard faults would require additional hardware purchase. (no wonder the previous owner threw it away)

I didn't like any of that news.

I put all the dllcache files (i386) onto the C:\ drive and attempted sfc /scannow ---- it failed, and I was back at the same blue screen you mention.

I then attempted chkdsk /f /r, which found and corrected 48 items recorded on bad-sectors.

But after that first chkdsk /f /r scan, any time I tried a system tool like Defrag or CleanMgr or SFC, I got the blue screen again.

I eventually ran chkdsk /f /r seven additional times, finding an additional 70+ items recorded on bad-sectors.

CHKDSK /f /r was able to repair them all with the multiple runs that I completed, until no more errors were detected.

I was then able to run sfc /scannow to replace missing or corrupted operating system files.

I then selected No Paging File, and ran Defrag. (just a guess, based on the MS KB article above)

I then installed SP2 from the MS SP2 download (hoping that SP2 would add/correct any remaining operating system glitches.

I then went to MS Updates and accepted all the updates (except IE 7.0)

I then dumpted the Restore Points and ran Defrag.

I then re-enabled System Retore.

I then set Paging File Min and Max at 3x the amoun to physical RAM.

I then ran chkdsk /f /r again and thankfully found no faults.

The machine is running well. As a matter of fact, I'm typing on it right now and it will probably become my work bench machine.

Here's the TechExpress for how it's running now:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=MVZGFW4NURWSPRAJ

Be persistent with chkdsk /f /r............... it might pay off for you too.

Best Regards

sorry to resurrect this old thread, i searched for this problem on google, and it is exactly what im having a problem with, however, i do not know how to do this things that you have suggested as a possible fix.

is it possible to step by step detail what you did with this process? please be as simple as possible because i am VERY nuch a noob to this, but i am willing to get my hands dirty and try to do whats neccesary.

thank you for all your help.

sorry to bump this up but i too have been having this problem ALOT!

more and more frequent.

i believe is was from a 3rd party program.

usually i DO NOT overwrite an older file with a new one while a program is installing, but i guess i might have done that.

ran the chkdsk /f /r and it did its thing, now im on to the sfc /scannow utility.

hopefully all will be good and i wont have to format/ reinstall windows xp pro as i h8 that so much with all the software i have on my system.

with this needed bump/update, i think more people will find this usefull.

Hi, this is my first post in this forum.

I have some experience as a service technician for 8 years and these bluescreens ususally have a concrete solution and meaning. I have a computer now with this Stop: 0x0000077. this error (bluescreen) comes typically when the computer is stressed and get warm.

In my case this problem appeared because of a hardware fail. So in this case my bluescreen stop: 0x0000077 is caused by the harddrive error.

Tools to use finding hardware error:

Chkdsk is a very good tool to check the status of the disk and can somtimes fix bluescreens and restart issues. But sometimes it can't find hdd errors.

The Ultimate Utility Boot CD is also such good CD!

Another tip of the day!:

Remember to have enough power on your machine. Using alot of PCI cards or maybe usb hardware may cause bluescreens. PC gets slow when to little power. Do not ever underestimate the need for power.

- And please chech out the dust inside the pc, - especially your laptop. The fan solution is almost in every laptop to bad!!!!

Best regards

geppaNilsen

References to warez utilities and/or pirated software is not allowed and has been editted. See rule #7:

7) Do not ask for, offer to supply, or post links to, copies of commercial software, MP3s, movies, CD Keys, Product Keys, Serial Numbers, etc. or other intellectual property for which you do not hold the copyright. Do not post full copies of copyrighted articles from elsewhere on the Internet, post a link to the article instead. You may discuss how to install and get any Peer to Peer Network program to work. This includes Kazaa, Bearshare, WinMX, and Limewire, just to name a few. However, any discussions on how to circumvent copy protection, obtaining any kind of illegal software, MP3's, movies, etc., will be removed without notice.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?act=boardrules

Edited by Y kawika

This guy is no computer technician. What computer tech refers people to pirated software?

Mark

Edited by markcynt

This guy is no computer technician. What computer tech refers people to pirated software?

Mark

If your drive is a SATA try changing the cable. Worked for me, AFTER I tried changing the drive, memory and mother board! Sometimes solutions can be simple