Constant popups after switching to Avira AntiVir

I dumped my Norton and went with Avira AntiVir free version. Now I get constant popups. What should I do? I never had popups with the Norton. Doe the better versions of Avira have a blocker? I also have Trend Micro anti-spyware. I don't know what kind of rep it has.

Do you get popups offline?

Anti spyware is not helping against ads and popups in online websites. You can use a toolbar (like MSN or Google), they are free and have popup blockers. I have tried the blocker in MSN and it's very effective. But it does not remove banner ads.

No Flash is a killer against animated ads. It's a small and free program.

http://www.bbshare.com

Adding ad servers to the Restricted Zone may help some, but it's often not very effective, it's time consuming to find the correct url's. (Ads on www.xxxx.com may come from another address.)

In my experience Avira is far better than Norton. But an anti-virus program doesn't block pop-ups. Get something like Google toolbar to block them. Do you ever get pop-ups when your browser is not open? :)

the free version of avira antivir has a thing called notifier and when antivir updates you get a popup :) there is info about it here http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=14396 :) i turned the daily updates off in the scheduler and manully update mine and when the popup starts i click ok and it's gone sometimes i read it :) but it's a very good antivirus program for free :) i hope this helps

I get additional browser windows opening while I have internet explorer open.

If you also are getting popups/ads if your browser is not open, and if you are offline, or if you get them on absolutely every website, then you have evidence of infection.

I hope that's not the case, and a popup blocker will help you.

I tried turning my Avira update off. That had no effect. I also tried setting my google pop-up blocker to "High- Block all pop-ups". It had no effect. I don't even know if "pop-up" is the right term for what I'm getting. I get one to several additional browser windows opening up. They are ads for antivirus programs (not avirs), live tv ads, Registry clean-up, etc. It happens on all websites.

Try this since these are free programs with good detection rates.

This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune to desktop.

http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1

Download AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 from Here

And save that file to your desktop.

This is a 30 day trial of the program.

• Once you have downloaded AVG anti-spyware, locate the icon on the your desk top and double-click it to launch the set up program.

• Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update then select the"Update Now" link.
  • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
*Once the update has completed select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.

*Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended Actions" and then select "Quarantine". <--IMPORTANT"

*Under "Reports"

Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"

Un-Select "Only if threats were found"

Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, Do not run a scan yet.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. Tap the F8 key just before Windows starts to load and select Safe Mode from the menu.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.

• Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

• If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Important.. Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:

• Launch AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan"tab then click on "Complete Scan".
  • AVG will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time to complete.
Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system, (Make sure to remember where you have saved the file, this is important.
  • Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and reboot your system back into Normal Mode
Depending on the infections found, this will tell if you need further help.

Try this since these are free programs with good detection rates.

This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune to desktop.

http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1

Download AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 from Here

And save that file to your desktop.

This is a 30 day trial of the program.

• Once you have downloaded AVG anti-spyware, locate the icon on the your desk top and double-click it to launch the set up program.

• Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon "Update then select the"Update Now" link.
  • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
*Once the update has completed select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.

*Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended Actions" and then select "Quarantine". <--IMPORTANT"

*Under "Reports"

Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"

Un-Select "Only if threats were found"

Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5, Do not run a scan yet.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. Tap the F8 key just before Windows starts to load and select Safe Mode from the menu.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.

• Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

• If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Important.. Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:

• Launch AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan"tab then click on "Complete Scan".
  • AVG will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time to complete.
Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all"
  • Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
  • Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system, (Make sure to remember where you have saved the file, this is important.
  • Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and reboot your system back into Normal Mode
Depending on the infections found, this will tell if you need further help.

Juliet,

Thanks for the help! The pop-ups are gone. The AVG found 126 infections. Two major ones. I guess my Trend Micro Systems program (Venus Spy Trap) isn't so great.

I need to get an anti-spyware for my other computer. I downloaded AVG antivirus for it. The AVG anti-spyware doesn't work on "98". Any suggestions.

I also just finished hooking up my first home network. I put my old computer out in the garage. Man, this is getting scary. :lol: