questions concerning video cards/ddr/upgrades

Hi everyone! This is my first post here so please be gentle :blushing: .

a week ago my pc started going funky at boot up and every time it got the the windows loading screen the signal to the moniter went dead. i took it to the shop where they told me windows was corrupt and charged me £60 to fix it. within 30 mins of getting the damned thing back the screen went blank again (no connection mssg) turns out my graphics card is faulty, which leads me to my question.

1. Having now figured out that my motherboard has AGP slots does this mean i can use any AGP video card (ie. one with ddr2 or ddr3) or does it have to have ddr ram like my system memory?

my original card was a radeon 9200 256mb ddr that came with the system when i bought it.

2. Is it worth upgrading the video card with my current system (amd athlon64 3400+ 1024mb ddr ram, AGP8X motherboard), or should i just get something cheap like a nvidia geforce fx5500 until i can afford to upgrade the processor/motherboard to something with PCI-express compatability? (ie. will i see much difference in performance with a more expensive graphics card taking into consideration the system i'm currently using it with?)

sorry if i'm being a bit long winded here, i'm pretty new to all this....... :blink:

thanks in advance

andy.

edit - thanks people that's very helpful! i almost feel like i know what i'm doing.....

i'm gonna be cheeky though and ask 1 more question......

got any recommendations for a decent card under £100?

Edited by fishboy

Once you found out it was the vid card did you get your money back? Or at least let him know his mistake so he can correct it on his next customer?

Anyways to your Q. Does not matter on the DDR3 / 2 whatever you get. As long as the AGP is an AGP. Your computer is fine. I have one myself. If you plan on hanging on to the computer for a few more years. 2 or more then go with a good card. not too expensive and definitely not cheap. However if you are going to hold on to the PC for less than that get something that will do the minimum. I have seen some cards out there for bout $30.

Guest badbinary

system memory and video memory have absolutely no relation. you can have ddr3 video memory and ddr memory in the same system.

yes, it would be worth upgrading your video depending on what you do. that is not a bad system by any means. i have a similar system (listed in my profile), and it runs games like no tomorrow.

however, you can upgrade fairly cheaply, but you will probably need a new motherboard, memory, and processor. the good news, is that the pci-e cards are cheaper than the agp counterparts.

first post is edited with thankyous for answers to original question.......

i got a final question (probably not, but it is for now ;) )

will i be okay running a Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO 256MB with a 250w ps?

i know not much about this.....

you may want something a bit bigger than that, lol. 250 is a tiny psu. could possibly even be why your pc is acting up. have you already tried replacing the card to make sure it IS the card that is bad?

if you run a pit test we can see the other hardware installed in your pc.

as to a video card, i recomend a 6600gt for agp. very decent card that i still use today. plays most anything at decent settings and is pretty cheap by now. blows that 9200 out of the water, i have one of them too.

first post is edited with thankyous for answers to original question.......

i got a final question (probably not, but it is for now ;) )

will i be okay running a Sapphire Radeon X1650 PRO 256MB with a 250w ps?

i know not much about this.....

:wp:

Go to http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp And plug in your system components. It will tell you how big of a PSU you need to run stably :)

Okay so now i'm looking at getting a 400w + psu. are they a standard size and do i need to make sure i get one with the right connecting wires?

my motherboard is a MSI 6741 (i think)

don't know if that's relevant......

hopefully then i will be able to power my system with an upgraded video card

will the 6600gt run doom3 well?

Any new PSU is backwards compatible. All you need to really look for is does it work with SATA hard drives (if you have one). Make sure you get one with good reviews from a name brand. Do your research before buying, the PSU is one of the most important parts in your computer.

Edited by Simonsells91
Guest badbinary

Any new PSU is backwards compatible.

i'd like to see you try using a modern psu on an at motherboard. :P

any modern atx psu is backwards compatible with any atx motherboard.

i'd like to see you try using a modern psu on an at motherboard. :P

any modern atx psu is backwards compatible with any atx motherboard.

Oops :) Forgot about that Edited by Simonsells91

Okay, so i need to get......

*a branded, atx 400w psu

*a new agp gpu

(i've looked for a xfx 6600gt and i've found loads of good reviews but as far as i can tell it's been discontinued so can anyone suggest another that will run well with my system for under £100 is the xfx6800xt any good?)