Upgrading to Vista...any help?

I will be upgrading to vista and would like to do it myself. I have never did this before but I have read that it is good for your PC performance to start over every so often from a clean slate.

Anyone know a good guide on how to go about uninstalling XP and installing Vista? For a noob... :)

thanks

You can't uninstall evil.

I mean ...

You don't uninstall an operating system, you just wipe out the old one. My recommendation with installing Vista is don't, at least not unless you're sure that all of your hardware has stable drivers for Vista, and that all of the software you want to use either has Vista versions, or works in Vista.

Also, make sure you meet the recommended requirements for Vista. Just because your machine can run Vista, doesn't mean it should (or that it won't crawl).

Rather a trollish post I know, but so far the only people I have talked to that actually *like* Vista are the ones that have been Microsoft fanboys from the start, most of them don't even buy the software; they just pirate it. Would be interesting to see how eager they were if they actually had to pay for it ...

This is what im running right now.

3.4GHz

Intel Pentium 4 ([email protected])

Intel i925X

2048 MB RAM (4x512 DDR2-SDRAM)

Geforce 7800GT

600 power source

XP Home Edition

Edit: LOL! omg that youtube video was funny! Now thats an installation I might be able to handle. ;)

Well If I was just going to wipe my computer and reinstall XP do you guys know of any good guides that could help me? :P

Edited by elLOCOmutha

Your system will work great for Vista. But I would wait till the price goes down. Home basic is the only one close to reasonably priced and it isn't a whole lot better than XP :geezer:

Edited by Simonsells91

what mobo u got?

i have an asus intel 965 and 7900gtx, windows updates installed every driver for all my hardware, even saitek gamepad and wintv tunercard, except x-fi audio card which was the only beta i had to use and install myself.

so drivers might not be a problem and the rest ofyour rig should run it just fine

as far as installing vista yourself when you insert the vista cd, you dont do much of anything, a very informative gui guides you through the entire process even optionally activating/updateing it for you automaticlaly

its run flawless on my rig and twice as fast as XP so i have to recommend go for it if you want it.

i think vista kills xp in performence because every game i got is alot faster.

and thats on my desktop and laptop:)

and both systems runs realy fast on it:)

and i haveint had one problem or blue screen and i had it going on 2weeks:)

and vista detected everything i got controlers to:)

it even detected my uncles system that is 3years old and installed the drivers for his stuff:)

Just remember that if you do install it, you should still go to the Nvidia website and get the latest driver. A friend of mine was all proud of Vista because it "installed his drivers right out of the box", it's too bad they were the crappy Microsoft versions ...

Just remember that if you do install it, you should still go to the Nvidia website and get the latest driver. A friend of mine was all proud of Vista because it "installed his drivers right out of the box", it's too bad they were the crappy Microsoft versions ...

must be his rig, on mine the ms version is the best, all my games run flawlessly, just cant overclock the card though

so unless that driver is having the exact same problem or "crappy" on everyones machine then its certainly not ms's or nvidias fault for anyone to call it such.

Have you tried playing any opengl games?

prey is all

i have doom3 and riddick but dont feel like installing em, then again riddick migh be fun to play again

ready for some new games but theres just really nothing good out that i would like

nv's next official whql drivers for 8800's and sli setups is still scheduled for march timeframe

Edited by cL1cKm3.exe

The only problem he had with the built-in drivers were with OpenGL games, installing the official NVidia drivers solved this, although he is still having trouble playing his EA Games.

Sorry, I had thought that I'd posted that in my original post. Didn't remember that I had chosen to be a little vague.