Change Mode

I feel really stupid asking this - my computer took a dump - daughter installed AIM / AOL on it, son was playing runescape and installed an auto typer on it. I installed a lyxs wireless on it. not sure what happened - but everything went haywire at once.

sooooooo..... since its been awhile, i decide maybe its time for a fresh install, since it was all freezing up anyway. mind you - tried the easy stuff first, was just going to uninstall the things that screwed it up, but could not even get into the control panel, starting up in safe mode even brought the bsod :boxing: . I tried to just do the repair from the recovery disc, no luck. tried just the install without the reformat, got the bsod. reformatted, actually got thru install, to a point, got the bsod again. several times it popped up during installation and said it couldn't install "whatever file" hit enter to retry, escape to continue. It at one point tells me that i have a bad copy of windows (it came with the dell). this last try, i got thru most everything, got the bsod and it says the registry is corrupt.

any ideas? think maybe the harddrive is shot? It's been over a year since I have really messed with any of this - a sledgehammer is looking really good right now! :cr@sh:

1. First, make sure that your computer is set to Boot to CD. This is a different procedure depending on your computer. When your computer first boots look for an option to enter the BIOS settings. Under the BIOS settings find the "Boot Order" and make sure the CD-ROM is set to boot first.

2. With the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM drive, save your BIOS settings and exit.

3. If you've done everything correctly you should be asked to "Press Any Key to Boot from CD".

4. After installing the necessary setup files, Windows XP will display your partitions. Delete any existing partitions by selecting the desired partition with the arrow keys, press D to delete and then L to confirm the deletion.

5. You should now have only one option, "Unpartitioned Space". Press Enter to install Windows XP to the unpartitioned space

6. When asked how you would like to format the partition, select "Format using the NTFS file system".

7. After the partition is formatted, Windows XP will begin installation. The computer will reboot. While the computer is rebooting, please do not touch any keys.

8. Enter your product key. If you are reformatting using a Windows XP CD that came with your computer, the product key may be located on a sticker somewhere on your computer case.

9. When asked for Network Settings, choose "Typical Settings".

10. Windows XP will now complete installation. Upon completion you will need to re-install the drivers for your hardware (Modem, Sound, Video, etc). Dell will include a "Driver Installation CD" with the computer. Simply insert the CD and follow the instructions. Otherwise, you can download current drivers from many manufacturer's support web sites.

Then get your updates and stuff etc etc etc

I had exact same problem reinstalling XP on my comp. I tried installing 5 or 6 times with the xp disk that came with my dell (it has been upgraded so much it isn't a dell anymore). It turned out it was a weak and dying Power supply. Go to http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp and plug in your system config to get how many watts your power supply needs. Chances are if it's a dell computer your power supply was too weak to begin with.

I've tried it all except the power supply thing - will try that after work today. i have managed to get the OS to load - finally after millions of attempts - everytime i would start the installation it would tell me different files that were missing or corrupt - then it finally all went through, i got through the set up part, it shuts down, reboots, loads windows up to the desktop, then still have the bsod. I am really not sure what happened here. :pullhair:

My first inclination would be to suspect the memory is toast, sounds like exactly what would happen if it were. I would then be inclined to test the memory using Memtest86. -kd5-

Have to agree with that. On my very first build I went through everything that you have described, and this was with all brand new components. Turns out the ram I had was bad (it happens, even from new), got the ram replaced and everything installed/worked perfectly after that.

My first inclination would be to suspect the memory is toast, sounds like exactly what would happen if it were. I would then be inclined to test the memory using Memtest86. -kd5-

kd - youve helped me alot in the past - will try tomorrow - for now - been to happy hour - not a good time, besides, american idol is on! love you guys!! ;)

Yep i'd say it's a memory issue also. Had the same problem in my PC windows kept telling me different files were missing each time.. I went through many cd roms before I thought to check the memory.. took one stick out and tried again and it installed flawlessly.. The brand new memory I had bough would not work very well together for some reason. so I ran it with just one stick and put the other stick in another PC and no problems yet :P

I actually managed to get the OS loaded, although the drivers wouldn't go anywhere, I put my wireless on and got online. made it to the pit for a test to see what all I needed to fix, and made it to dell do download the vga drivers. everything seemed to work ok, so i went to msn for any updates i need. went through the restart, and the screen came up worse than ever. did another shut down, now it will go through the hard boot, but will not load windows. so i put the repair disk back in and try that, and i am back at step one - this file not right, that file not there, and then the BSOD. anyone got a sledgehammer?

I feel really stupid asking this - my computer took a dump - daughter installed AIM / AOL on it, son was playing runescape and installed an auto typer on it. I installed a lyxs wireless on it. not sure what happened - but everything went haywire at once.

sooooooo..... since its been awhile, i decide maybe its time for a fresh install, since it was all freezing up anyway. mind you - tried the easy stuff first, was just going to uninstall the things that screwed it up, but could not even get into the control panel, starting up in safe mode even brought the bsod :boxing: . I tried to just do the repair from the recovery disc, no luck. tried just the install without the reformat, got the bsod. reformatted, actually got thru install, to a point, got the bsod again. several times it popped up during installation and said it couldn't install "whatever file" hit enter to retry, escape to continue. It at one point tells me that i have a bad copy of windows (it came with the dell). this last try, i got thru most everything, got the bsod and it says the registry is corrupt.

any ideas? think maybe the harddrive is shot? It's been over a year since I have really messed with any of this - a sledgehammer is looking really good right now! :cr@sh:

How about three new computers? :P The kids need their own and to be off of yours. :geezer: