Just registered here, looks like an awesome site for help and such. So i figured i'd ask.

I recently built a computer for myself. For music, and video editing and such. Thats beside the point.

My son, who is a avid gamer (is 16) has wanted a new computer for over a year.

My wife wants to just buy him one, but i want to build him a "Beast" of a system. She doesn't understand how crappy those name-brand ones are.

Anyways, his birthday is in about 1 month and i need some help picking parts. Since i know nothing about gaming, and what one needs for it, i thought i would maybe get some attention (help maybe too B) ) of some gamers here online.

I'm basically looking for a system configuration--parts. Newegg.com has been my friend in the past, i'd like to give them my business again.

I was also interested in setting up a Raid configuration, since i heard that pretty much doubles the hard drive I/O speeds (what i hear). <--would need some serious help with that. (Thats good for gaming right?)

Everyones help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

P.S. Trying to get this done on about an 1800$ budget (tops)

:wp:

You can't get any better than custom built. I found a sweet deal on 2 gigs or ddr2-800 corsair memory. This stuff is amazing gaming RAM. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...25-5&ps=ho1

You save $30 from the Newegg price. Don't have much experience with other gaming comp parts since my system is a rehabilitated dell (I wanna kill myself for buying from them 2 years ago). Good luck building your son's comp. You may get too attached to it and want to keep it for yourself :)

Thanks for the info guys.

He already has a nice 17 inch LCD low latency monitor. And about a year ago we bought the Razer Copperhead package mouse and keyboard, so he doesn't need that.

The only thing left he a few hard drives. Looking for some speed+storage.

It's my understanding that he has quite the large movie/music collection on his current computer. And he likes to edit and that sort of thing.

He actually made an entire animated film, and he shot something crazy like 80,000 pictures (yea, crazy, i know).

Keep and eye out for some hard drive deals will ya?

Thanks,

Scott

or if you REALLY want to blow your budget, 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822136012

You know what...Paul is right!

Get him two of the Raptors for his RAID 0 setup ( you can get them in smaller versions, e.g. 36/74Gb = cheaper) and perhaps a Samsung Spinpoint P 250Gb for storage!!

That would be a dream setup!

Prof. Dr. Silver :b33r:

that list looks good but if gaming and not OC'ing i would consider the 2gb kit of Corsair previously mentioned and run it @ 800 instead and put more cash towards a better CPU like the E6700 and for HD's in Raid a couple of WD 250gb's SATA 300's in Raid 0 LINK cant be beat for bang for the Buck ............... i'm running 4 74 Raptors and IMO the WD 250's in Raid 0 would be the best way to go plus all the capacity

You know you going to get all kinds different opinions here...When you think you got a good one from someone, Bam someone else will come in and and change everything. So if you know someone that is a hardcore gamer in here, it's best to just go and pm them then you will pretty much get the answer you seek. But far as getting and idea you will sure get that here. It pretty much boils down to how much you care to spend, beause what I see so far above is digging deep in the pocketbook But if you got a few grand to spend then let her rip...lol I would for sure go core duo.