Lately whenever I run Erase, it says "Failed" when Cookies and Browser Cache are scanned. Everything else seems to scan fine and erase properly. I don't know exactly how long this has been happening. It usually takes so much time for it to scan my Browser Cache that I walk away from the computer while it scans so I only noticed it this week...

I have upgraded to IE7, but that was a couple months ago and I think my Erase problems have only been for the past couple weeks. I've removed and installed the updated version 3 times and the scans still say Failed. Any ideas?

This is what the developer has to say about that error:

"This error is written to a log file when a certain function is called. Here is the error described by Microsoft "The file is locked or in use. The entry is marked and deleted when the file is unlocked.

This means that IE is open in some form or way... however it looks like it will be deleted once IE is closed and the file is no longer locked. This is a debatable thing: we could not show an error to user if this happens, since the file will eventually be deleted. However with that, the user could see that the file wasn't removed and say the product does not work.

I will have him make sure IE is completely closed, if that doesn't work run it in safe mode to make sure IE is closed. Toolbars, and other startup programs sometimes use IE containers that is the same as IE being open."

Well, as far as I can tell, I've completely closed IE and no change. I removed a weather desktop program which is fairly new - no change. Turned off Norton - no change. If there's other programs running I don't know what they are.

What's even more frustrating is I can't get safe mode to work. I just get a list of what appears to be drivers? Not sure... I can't remember if I ever used safe mode with this computer so I don't know if it's always done this. I recently did a driver scan and updated some drivers so I don't know if that's what's making the safe mode goofy.

I'm more baffled than I was before... :pullhair:

It can take several minutes for Safe Mode to open after the list of drivers is displayed, which is normal. During that time it will look as if nothing is happening. If you haven't done so, you may want to give 5 or 6 minutes and see if it opens.

Please try this:

Go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Erase>uninstall PC Pitstop Erase and run the uninstaller.

Once that completes, go to My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Erase and delete the entire Erase folder.

(If you are comfortable in the registry, then go to Start>Run>type "regedit" without the quotes and hit the 'enter'key. Once the registry editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PCPitstop\Erase and delete that folder as well. If you are not comfortable with this, skip this step. As always, you should first backup the entire registry.)

Now do a reinstall with a new copy of the program from here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp

You will need your Erase license key for this procedure.

That worked!!! Woo Hoo!! Thanks!!!!

(Sorry I didn't get to it earlier - I went on vacation and just got back today...)

:clap:

Please try this:

Go to Start>Programs>PC Pitstop>Erase>uninstall PC Pitstop Erase and run the uninstaller.

Once that completes, go to My Computer>C:\>Program Files>PC Pitstop>Erase and delete the entire Erase folder.

(If you are comfortable in the registry, then go to Start>Run>type "regedit" without the quotes and hit the 'enter'key. Once the registry editor opens, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PCPitstop\Erase and delete that folder as well. If you are not comfortable with this, skip this step. As always, you should first backup the entire registry.)

• 1 year later...

Please try this:

I have same problem Optomize Online shows 75 tracking cookies with advice to use Erase. But my Erase shows Cookies Failed when scan starts. I completed steps above (uninstall, delete folder, reinstall) but problem remains. Please advise.

:wp:

What browser is showing for the cookies? We just recently discovered that Erase currently can not delete cookies or browser history for Firefox 3.