Recommended Memory? Brand & speed

I am into building my first comp. Right now I am looking for some good ram, But with so many brands and speeds, I am stuck on what to get can anyone give me a few recommendations on speed and brand, I am just going with one gig right now and later going with 2gig total.

Intel core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe LGA775 on a ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nFORCE 650i

What does ASUS recommend? I've had nothing but good luck with G.Skill. It's a lower voltage RAM that runs extremely well and stable.

I just noticed you've been a member since 5/04 and you're just now building your first? Wow. Talk about your late bloomer!

-=Vran=-

Edited by Vranichou

What does ASUS recommend? I've had nothing but good luck with G.Skill. It's a lower voltage RAM that runs extremely well and stable.

I just noticed you've been a member since 5/04 and you're just now building your first? Wow. Talk about your late bloomer!

-=Vran=-

LOL well I have always used factory built comps, but got so deep into upgrading and fixing others comp's.... I had people after people asking me why have I never built my own. So here I go I am really building this to learn a few things so I can in the future build some for a few friends

Thanks for the info on the ram I been hearing alot of good things on that G skill I have always used Corsair or crucial but am willing to try something different.

I think RAM is one of those things that depends on opinion. Everyone will tell you something different based on what they prefer. :b33rmug:

Thanks for the brew> I have got some good ideas from people on here, what I do is take everyones opinions and check out reviews on them and see what works best for others I pretty much have what I need in mind but it never hurts to check with others but I am for sure going to be looking into this G skill brand. :b33r:

Don't buy cheap rams because they're tricky and could be Defective/Failure. I got 2 different cheap rams for DDR2 800 MHz and they both didn't work at all (1 of them worked for a day and then crashed without overclocking). So now, I got Kingston but this one sucks for Overclocking. You can still get better Kingston like Kinston Hyper-X but it has higher voltage (2.2).

Thanks for the info on the ram I been hearing alot of good things on that G skill I have always used Corsair or crucial but am willing to try something different.

Nothing wrong with either of those brands. My first PC build (where I actaully chose the brand of RAM rather than just specify how much) used Corsair. I started using G.Skill on a build where I was really planning on OCing the machine. G.Skill was a relative newcomer at that time (late '04) using the Samsung TCCD chips showing EXTREMELY impressive speeds and timings and ran realtively low voltages compared to the rest as well as a rep from G.Skill was available on the xtremeSystems forums.

I think you'll probably get as many different opinions as there are quality brands of RAM out there.

Good luck with whatever brand you choose!

-=Vran=-

Corsair is good stuff

But i love my G.Skill ................. you do realise after this build is done you probably will NEVER buy a Prebuilt PC again :clap:

i'd suggest decide what board you're gonna use and visit the forums of that Board manufacturer Asus Abit MSI etc etc and see what ram people are using and whos having issues with what

I used OCZ for several years with out issue yet there are many that have issues with it in some newer abit boards

Corsair is good stuff

But i love my G.Skill ................. you do realise after this build is done you probably will NEVER buy a Prebuilt PC again :clap:

i'd suggest decide what board you're gonna use and visit the forums of that Board manufacturer Asus Abit MSI etc etc and see what ram people are using and whos having issues with what

I used OCZ for several years with out issue yet there are many that have issues with it in some newer abit boards

The board I got is ASUS PSN-E SLI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131142 Edited by jackpot316

I have bought RAM from just about every manufacture there is. A few things you should know. Almost all RAM is derived from only an actual handful of different RAM chips such as Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Winbond, Promos and Infineon. Now there are many revisions from each chip maker some being better for certain voltages or for lower latencies. I would say for a first time RAM buyer to just make sure you get it from a reputable manufacture with a good warranty. OCZ for one has a great warranty program. Also get it from someone that has a good return policy such as New Egg because I have had many high end top notch modules that arrived to me DEAD.

I have bought RAM from just about every manufacture there is. A few things you should know. Almost all RAM is derived from only an actual handful of different RAM chips such as Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Winbond, Promos and Infineon. Now there are many revisions from each chip maker some being better for certain voltages or for lower latencies. I would say for a first time RAM buyer to just make sure you get it from a reputable manufacture with a good warranty. OCZ for one has a great warranty program. Also get it from someone that has a good return policy such as New Egg because I have had many high end top notch modules that arrived to me DEAD.

well I am not a first time buyer of ram just my first time at building a complete pc I have bought corsair and crucial for my other pc and other peoples comps, that was a few years back now with all these new brands I have not really been checking on whats good now..... Right now its a toss up between Corsair and G-skill. One thing I have never done is oc a comp, and with my own build I am thinking of bumpimg it up a little but not anything crazy, just a small bump just to get the hang of how it's done. But my main goal is to get the rest of my parts and start it up then I can think about oc ing when I know I have done everything right.