Sign in to follow this  
Chris_UK333

Heatsink question

I recently fitted a new processor to my pc and i bought a heatsink sperately (It didn't come with the processor) The heatsinked however did not have any of that sticky stuff to stick the processor to it, is this a problem? My freind fitted it and it's working fine, no problems.

Here it is

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=XKPVFWV7LQWS1V0J

Thanks to all help in advance! :pullhair:

I would watch the temps real close.

Get some Artic Silver 5.

The Intel will shut down before dieing.

I would watch the temps real close.

Get some Artic Silver 5.

The Intel will shut down before dieing.

At the moment the system has been turned on for just over an hour and the temperature is around 44 degrees c. Thoughts?

The heat seems like a good one.

But thats the temps of mine under full load folding.

Mine idles at around 28C using a Artic Cooler.

The heat seems like a good one.

But thats the temps of mine under full load folding.

Mine idles at around 28C using a Artic Cooler.

Nice :clap: So this Artic cooler..Is it a liquid or like a strap you put onto the heatsink??

This,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=HS-017-AR

and while your at it it would be a REAL good idea to get some of this,

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=AC-000-AC

When i go into bios it says it is 55 degrees (And it's been on 55 for a while) But easytune 5 programme says its 45..Any ideas why?

When i go into bios it says it is 55 degrees (And it's been on 55 for a while) But easytune 5 programme says its 45..Any ideas why?

Also, how do i know when my system will shutdown? (At what degrees?) When does a CPU overheat?

Also, how do i know when my system will shutdown? (At what degrees?) When does a CPU overheat?

Your max temp for a P4 is 64 - 78°C, it varies depending on the processor, but I'd say if you're running above 64C you're running too hot.

To answer your earlier question, as to why the system temp varies between the BIOS and a windows based temp-reader, it's normally because BIOS is very basic, you're just running a path between the Motherboard, and not loading all the extras like drivers, OS, etc. So the processor is going to be cooler.

If you're concerned about overheating, you can use Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) and set an alarm for about 60C (or whatever you're comfortable with). Keep in mind your CPU temperature will drastically increase if you're running games or photo-editing software. If you plan on running those, I'd suggest getting the previously mentioned thermal compounds.

Your max temp for a P4 is 64 - 78°C, it varies depending on the processor, but I'd say if you're running above 64C you're running too hot.

To answer your earlier question, as to why the system temp varies between the BIOS and a windows based temp-reader, it's normally because BIOS is very basic, you're just running a path between the Motherboard, and not loading all the extras like drivers, OS, etc. So the processor is going to be cooler.

If you're concerned about overheating, you can use Motherboard Monitor (http://mbm.livewiredev.com/) and set an alarm for about 60C (or whatever you're comfortable with). Keep in mind your CPU temperature will drastically increase if you're running games or photo-editing software. If you plan on running those, I'd suggest getting the previously mentioned thermal compounds.

Ok but i need to keep it cool for the long term, not a month with some paste...So any idea how long this Artic stuff lasts?

Edited by Chris_UK333

Ok but i need to keep it cool for the long term, not a month with some paste...So any idea how long this Artic stuff lasts?

It should last several years, as far as I know. It's not a temporary solution, but a long-term requirement for most processors.

Surely having both would be best? :pullhair::huh:

Not neccesarily, the pads plus the termal compound could move the heat-sink too far away to do it's job effectively, plus heatsink paste is a proven method of moving heat off the processor and into the sink. I wouldn't bother with the pads, as in my experience they are not as consistently reliable as a paste.

Not neccesarily, the pads plus the termal compound could move the heat-sink too far away to do it's job effectively, plus heatsink paste is a proven method of moving heat off the processor and into the sink. I wouldn't bother with the pads, as in my experience they are not as consistently reliable as a paste.

What about one pad?

yes buy that one there. Its fine. Just follow the instructions there to a "T" and you should not have to worry about it for a long time.

FYI i built one 4 years ago for my parents and theres is OC'd. Still no heat issues.

I didnt check all the items. But for my 2 cents.

The artic silver should last quite awhile. I dont

let it last that long. I totally take apart each

of my computers twice a year. Clean reseat,

apply new paste etc.

Every one that I have ever built, from a 200 mmx

til today still runs.

If you take care of it, it will last a long time. Things can

happen you have no control over. Just dont give them

extra chances.

It still seems a bit hot.

Chris,

You didn't glob the paste on there, did you? You only need a very thin layer over the processor for maximum performance. Globbing = bad.

Remember, it should be:

H E A T S I N K

thermalpaste(thinlayer)

P r o c e s s o r

Use something like a credit card to apply it in a thin layer. But not a card that you still use. :)