Change Mode

OK finally got round to finish my mates PC I'm building for him, but the display is really messed up, some items appear fine, others are unviewable, easiest way is to show you what I see, any ideas ?

I've reinstalled, I've tried 3 different video cards, I've reset the bios and it is the latest version, drivers don't make a difference as best IO can tell, and there are no conflicts as one of the pic's shows, I'm at your mercy lol.

>>>Pic 1<<< >>>Pic 2<<< >>>Pic 3<<< >>>Pic 4<<< >>>Pic 5<<< >>>Pic 6<<<

OK finally got round to finish my mates PC I'm building for him, but the display is really messed up, some items appear fine, others are unviewable, easiest way is to show you what I see, any ideas ?

I've reinstalled, I've tried 3 different video cards, I've reset the bios and it is the latest version, drivers don't make a difference as best IO can tell, and there are no conflicts as one of the pic's shows, I'm at your mercy lol.

>>>Pic 1<<< >>>Pic 2<<< >>>Pic 3<<< >>>Pic 4<<< >>>Pic 5<<< >>>Pic 6<<<

Check the VGA cable and make sure all the pins are in good condition.

Also check the monitor setup using the OSD, and try adjusting the color temperature.

Cable and monitor are fine, they are the ones I use every day on mine, this is a new build using bits that were going spare, as the pic's show some stuff shows up fine, it's almost predominantly icons that appear affected, never adjusted the colour temperature before, so I'm going have to search that to see what to do, then I can report back, Thanks for the replies.

The monitor is not at fault, and I've just realised changing ANY of my settings will be useless, because if you can see what I see looking at those pics then that is produced by the machine, not the monitor, if you can see normal pic's then I agree my monitor comes into question, but if your seeing the pics as I see them then it can't be my monitor if you follow me, so it has to be a hardware issue on the offending PC IMHO, I just don't know how to find out whats at fault, any other ideas ?

Looks like you may have a display frequency mismatch. Does the monitor register on the graphics adaptor card? If not, the card may use incorrect frequency. If the monitor is a 17inch, use 1024x768 for screen resolution. My Flatron CRT runs at 81/99 Hz.

If your monitor is an LCD there will also be a normal resolution and scan frequency.

It's a 15" LCD monitor, but again I struggle to see how the monitor can be a problem here, surely if it was the monitor all of you would be seeing clean pic's above with no problems ?

If it's just myself seeing these display issues then I'd agree, but if you can see them then it surely can't be the monitor ?

I mean those pics are screenshots of the desktop pasted into paint and saved, surely it's the PC that produces those pic's ? that is if you can see them, but the pic's are not of my monitor via a camera or the like, they are actual screenshots, and my limited understanding is that a screenshot will save the desktop\images produced by the PC, NOT the visible display the user ends up seeing ?

Or am I totally losing the plot here ?

Thanks for the replies, I did say it was a weird one lol, and FYI I don't have a 2nd monitor at this time, of all the PC's attached (in their own turn) to this monitor that is the ONLY one playing up.

I had that problem before And its at the ti[ of my brain how I changed it.. Is the color at 32 bit?

Also make sure the DPI settings is at 96

Right Click Desktop..Properties..Settings advanced..DPI should be at 96 for a normal looking desktop

Edited by magik

Print Screen will capture the current desktop display exactly as appear in a monitor.

I suggest you try another monitor/display that way you would know if its the PC or the display. That way you know what to troubleshoot.

I have found that several things could cause a display to act that way.

-Corrupted drivers - Clean installation of drivers will do.

-Corrupted color profiles - Follow the steps below:

* In the CONTROL PANEL click DISPLAY.

* Select SETTINGS on the Display's Interface then ADVANCED.

* Now click the COLOR MANAGEMENT's tab and select ADD. You will see a listing of Color Profiles.

* Choose one that came with the monitor drivers or Graphics Card.

* You could pick several Color Profiles and make one the Default.

-Wrong settings - use correct ones

-Faulty VGA cable (bended cable or pins). check the pins on the VGA cable

-Faulty electron gun (in this case green) - get a new monitor

-Magnet near monitor - move speakers or magnets away from display.

Well the display is set to 1024x768 using 32 bit colour, the settings are correct and fit with your recommendations here, I've never messed with video so it isn't a case of me messing with the settings and upsetting anything personally.

This is a new build with fresh install so I doubt corrupted drivers etc as they were all fresh for this, I have tried 3 other machines on my connections and this is the only one at fault, no other machine has a problem, and over the last year I must of had around a dozen different PC's hooked up without a single issue, so I am positive it's something in the hardware of this PC, I'm thinking motherboard ATM, I just don't know how to prove it.

I am expecting the TV's I ordered a while back anytime now (they've been on delayed order) so when they arrive I will be able to hook it up to those just to check it's OK, but I'd put money on it being fine.

I'll give that software a go, never seen it before so sounds like a new tool to add to the arsenal, Thanks for that, what I will do in a bit is run a pit test and hook that up so you can see what I'm dealing with, but it's a gigabyte board.

Thanks for the replies everyone :b33r:

OK I went through that settings list and everything is correct, tried the colour management and there are only 3 choices, one says it's for a camera and can't be used, and the others did not rectify anything, although 1 did seem to make a minute difference so I left that checked for now, but it is very slight.

Tried that software on my PC to start, and for the life of me I can't see what it does ?

All I see when running it is a list of hardware specs, and it kept freezing out on my own PC so haven't tried it in the other one yet but it appears to be a 2 tier software, it's name is purely a spec display as best I can figure and is free, the other part of it seems along the lines of a registry cleaner which you have to pay for to have it rectify it's findings, so not sure what it's sposed to show me ?

I've just realised I can't run a test at this stage, I don't have it connected to the net, and it has no Ethernet port so I can't just simply hook it up or I'd do that, so a test will be slow coming I'm afraid, will try to get a wireless card installed to test with, but the motherboard model is a GA7DX, and here is a snippet from everest giving it's details.

Motherboard

CPU Type AMD Athlon, 1333 MHz (10 x 133)

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7DX© (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)

Motherboard Chipset AMD-760

System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award Modular (04/19/04)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)

Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200 (Microsoft Corporation) (32 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200

Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 570V/580V TFT [15" LCD] (H1CR303980)

Multimedia

Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (CT4751) Sound Card

Audio Adapter Creative SB PCI128 (Ensoniq ES5880) Sound Card

Storage

IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive Easy Disk USB Device (3 GB, USB)

Disk Drive ST320410A (20 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

Disk Drive WDC WD200BB-75DEA0 (18 GB, IDE)

Optical Drive HP CD-Writer+ 9300 (10x/4x/24x CD-RW)

Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612S (12x/40x DVD-ROM)

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions

C: (NTFS) 19085 MB (16639 MB free)

D: (NTFS) 19092 MB (18895 MB free)

Total Size 37.3 GB (34.7 GB free)

Wow! Thats an oldie.

You can try to change a few things if not already.

Refresh = 60

Try 800X600 16bit

Go through the BIOS an make sure all settings are correct.

If you think thats old you should see what I'm trying to replace for him :laughing:

I'll try those settings after I get back from town and report back, but bios is set correctly as best I can figure, and yes I did install the drivers, but I'll try again with those ones and report back later, Thanks for the replies.

If you think thats old you should see what I'm trying to replace for him :laughing:

I'll try those settings after I get back from town and report back, but bios is set correctly as best I can figure, and yes I did install the drivers, but I'll try again with those ones and report back later, Thanks for the replies.

I had a similar problem where all my icons were messed up. Try uninstalling the graphics card and using integrated graphics or a different graphics card. Mine was fixed when I upgraded my agp card to the MSI 256 mb 7600GS :blink:

hmm to me seems like something is mess up with the files or themes.

because if it was the monitor it whouldint show on printscreen or a system screenhot.

its like a dead pixel you wont see it in print screen or a systemshot:)

that what i was trying to tell dell about my laptop and they didint want to listen at all.

than they told me they understand now and i have a good point and they sent me a new lcd:)

hmm i wonder did you try a pci video card?

maybee its the agp slot i hope not tho:(

Edited by gordesky1

give the trial version of driver genius dont purchase it

use it to find your update for your graphics card and

do a manual search using the information it will provide

try by manufacturer and driver name and date it was compatible

http://www.driver-soft.com/

did you make sure your graphics card require net frame 1.1 or better

those can be found at microsoft updates or search for them

Edited by mme

hmm to me seems like something is mess up with the files or themes.

because if it was the monitor it whouldint show on printscreen or a system screenhot.

its like a dead pixel you wont see it in print screen or a systemshot:)

that what i was trying to tell dell about my laptop and they didint want to listen at all.

than they told me they understand now and i have a good point and they sent me a new lcd:)

hmm i wonder did you try a pci video card?

maybee its the agp slot i hope not tho:(

Well that was exactly the point I was trying to make at the beginning of this, but everyone keeps coming back to the monitor, so I figured they know something I don't and I'll try anything in reason to try and figure it out.

I haven't tried a pci card, I only have pci-e ones and obviously don't want to put them at risk, would these work in an ordinary pci slot ? and any idea of risk to the card in doing so ?

I'll try and give that software a go, but in the past when I've tried it the thing insists it found newer drivers even though I already had the latest ones, and the ones they suggested were older than what I had lol, so I don't have to much faith in it, but I will try it, really need to get it online but I also have to reinstall another PC for Friday so time is getting a bit tight ATM, but I'll try to do it ASAP.

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't tried a pci card, I only have pci-e ones and obviously don't want to put them at risk, would these work in an ordinary pci slot ? and any idea of risk to the card in doing so ?

:nono: You will damage the card

PCI and PCI-e are not swapable since they use different slots :mrsgreen:

not a good idea to do that

are you trying to use older drivers for the vid?...that's an old card,and an older driver might work better