Change Mode

Runtime error! on Check Disk Health

About a week ago, maybe less I ran a FULL TEST on my Home PC. Then yesterday trying to help a friend on the phone I had them go to and run a full test. And to make sure I was telling them what to do right, I was doing it my self as well telling them what to do as I did it.

But during the Checking Disk Health part, it stopped and I got a message that popped up that said Runtime Error! Before it even started, it said 0%. So I tried several times to rerun the test and checking my system for problems, but I could not find any. The only thing that I could think of that changed since my last test what I downloaded Window Defender.

So today I Uninstalled Window Defender, ran DISK CLEANUP, and then I also defragged and ran DISKCHECK. And then I tried to run PC PITSTOP's Full Test again. This time it did get to 13% and a differing looking message popped up, but it still said, Runtime Error!

checking drive C… gets to 13 % and message below pops up

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

Program: C:\program flies\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

This Application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

And so I then run PC PITSTOP's DEBUG program and it run to the same point again and I got the same points, and I click the message that popped up, and it shutdown the window. Since I did not get the message written down to post here I run it again so that I could also get the last Debug message. And so what that was is

[email protected]: Used HiPerf; res 1172 tk, 3049540 ktps

[email protected]: raw 3049, locked 3049 MHz

[email protected]: disk SectionTimes 1550 5038689 8396412 8434719

[email protected]: disk test 127 MB, elapsed 8435 ms

I then went back to the DEBUG start page and checked the box for the Checking Disk Health. And this time everything ran just fine. It made it thru the rest of the other checks, since it skipped the Checking Disk Health test.

I just went back and ran the DEBUG again, but this time I checked everything but the Checking Disk Health, and again the message popped up saying

Runtime error!

What is going on? And how can I fix it?

Thanks,

OH, and I am usually pretty good with computers, but I am a Disabled Navy Veteran. My Service connected Disability is so bad that the VA has even determined that I am UNEMPLOYABLE. Because I have not been able to find a job since I got out of the Navy over 9 years ago. And I am told that because of the pain I am almost constantly in I sometimes have some concentration problems and memory problems. So I some times need a little help with thing I either forgot how to do or never learned.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

If you are having problems with the Active-X control or Disk MD crashing, we would appreciate you helping us out in finding the problem in the code. Below is a series of steps you can do to help us out, please proceed if you are up for the challenge:

We need to know if the scanner is still crashing on your hard drive, so I am attaching the latest version here. #60. Below are instructions on how to run the scanner, if the scanner still crashes we would appreciate your log file to find out what sector of the hard drive is causing problems ... all hard drives are different.

How To Run the Scanner:

• Download the attached zip file to your desktop or a folder you have chosen
  • Extract the zip file to get to dfac60.exe
  • Start->Run
  • type "cmd"
  • Drag dfac60.exe to the new command window and release
  • type a space " "
  • type the driver letter you wish to analyze "C"
  • hit enter
  • Scanner should take off
If you get a crash, a log file would be appreciated. The log file will either be in the same folder as dfac50.exe and be called dfac60.log. Please EMAIL this [email protected].

Notes:

• Please do not post log files here as they are too long.
  • Please delete log files in between scans
We thank you for your help in making PC Pitstop's products better.

Update: New version #60 added

dfac_60.zip

Just to let you know. The Dfac ran fine on my comp. It still says that IE has to close when it checks windows setup though. Also, I still cannot fully install the HP printer/scanner. It says that drivers are not there that are there. Hope that helps.
Guest alfaman

About a week ago, maybe less I ran a FULL TEST on my Home PC. Then yesterday trying to help a friend on the phone I had them go to and run a full test. And to make sure I was telling them what to do right, I was doing it my self as well telling them what to do as I did it.

But during the Checking Disk Health part, it stopped and I got a message that popped up that said Runtime Error! Before it even started, it said 0%. So I tried several times to rerun the test and checking my system for problems, but I could not find any. The only thing that I could think of that changed since my last test what I downloaded Window Defender.

So today I Uninstalled Window Defender, ran DISK CLEANUP, and then I also defragged and ran DISKCHECK. And then I tried to run PC PITSTOP's Full Test again. This time it did get to 13% and a differing looking message popped up, but it still said, Runtime Error!

Runtime error!

And so I then run PC PITSTOP's DEBUG program and it run to the same point again and I got the same points, and I click the message that popped up, and it shutdown the window. Since I did not get the message written down to post here I run it again so that I could also get the last Debug message. And so what that was is

[email protected]: Used HiPerf; res 1172 tk, 3049540 ktps

[email protected]: disk SectionTimes 1550 5038689 8396412 8434719

[email protected]: disk test 127 MB, elapsed 8435 ms

I then went back to the DEBUG start page and checked the box for the Checking Disk Health. And this time everything ran just fine. It made it thru the rest of the other checks, since it skipped the Checking Disk Health test.

I just went back and ran the DEBUG again, but this time I checked everything but the Checking Disk Health, and again the message popped up saying

Runtime error!

What is going on? And how can I fix it?

Thanks,

OH, and I am usually pretty good with computers, but I am a Disabled Navy Veteran. My Service connected Disability is so bad that the VA has even determined that I am UNEMPLOYABLE. Because I have not been able to find a job since I got out of the Navy over 9 years ago. And I am told that because of the pain I am almost constantly in I sometimes have some concentration problems and memory problems. So I some times need a little help with thing I either forgot how to do or never learned.

Thanks again

hi alfaman here

i posted a help on saturday regarding a similar fault, i cannot open folders within "my documents" the rest of

my system appears to work ok i have run seceral anti virus/ spyware but so far nothing. today i reloaded explorer but that solved nothing, i also found that a second user on my computor will not load from reboot.

have you any luck fixing your fault

alfaman (aka kevin, from the irish republic)

hi alfaman here

i posted a help on saturday regarding a similar fault, i cannot open folders within "my documents" the rest of

my system appears to work ok i have run seceral anti virus/ spyware but so far nothing. today i reloaded explorer but that solved nothing, i also found that a second user on my computor will not load from reboot.

have you any luck fixing your fault

alfaman (aka kevin, from the irish republic)

Please try dfac-60 above and if it crashes send us the log file. We have some issues with our defrag scanner that we are working through. Thanks!

Guest alfaman

Please try dfac-60 above and if it crashes send us the log file. We have some issues with our defrag scanner that we are working through. Thanks!

mat,

i ran the dfac-60 and have a log report should you wish to see it, can i email it to you?

alfaman

The scan won't run from the site at all, The dfac 60 scan hung at 99%, I sent the log by you send it. Good luck with your repairs. I have used PC pitstop for many years and would like to continue to do so.

OK!!! Thanks for the update. And thank you again for all of the hard working trying to get this problem fixed... :)

New to forum, bbut not website, having same problem as everyone else, freezing at disk checking section of test. Will run scanner and send log. I NEED my testing, dont feel "whole" without it :)

I could not get the scanner part of the tests to work for the longest time. I just recently transferred my OS and all files to a new disk and now all the tests work. I looked over the old harddrive and discovered it had quite a few bad sectors. I have tried running off this old drive and it won't work it stops at 47% on the disk scanner, I think this may have something to do with the bad sectors. Maybe some others should do a chkdsk to check into this as my new disk(bad sector free) with IE7 works just fine.

I could not get the scanner part of the tests to work for the longest time. I just recently transferred my OS and all files to a new disk and now all the tests work. I looked over the old harddrive and discovered it had quite a few bad sectors. I have tried running off this old drive and it won't work it stops at 47% on the disk scanner, I think this may have something to do with the bad sectors. Maybe some others should do a chkdsk to check into this as my new disk(bad sector free) with IE7 works just fine.

I have done the Disk Check, it did not find any problems. I also defragged my drive. I talked about this and the other steps I tried in my first post that I did when I opened this thread. I do not know about any of the others, but Disk Check did not help me at all.

Which OS do you have? You never said. I have Windows XP SP2 with all of the updates including the couple that came out Tuesday 13 March 2007.

I personnally do not think it has anything to do with IE7. My Problem started after I did an update a month or two ago, I did not remember seeing any updates for IE7. But there were several for XP. And I had IE 7 installed for a month or two before this problem started. And I did the scan at least 2 or 3 times before the XP update with no problems. But then I did the XP updates and about an hour later I tried to do the scan and it had a problem at the Disk Health Scan. I can do the scan now, but I have to go thru the Debug area and scan it with the debug thing on and check the box to skip the Disk Health Check. Everything works fine. I just don't get the information on my disk, since I told it to skip it.

But I could be wrong, I am not a programmer. But just from what I have noticed, and from what I remember of the update before the problem started, I just feel that IE7 is not the problem, it some update that's causing it.

Edited by r_rayjr

I have done the Disk Check, it did not find any problems. I also defragged my drive. I talked about this and the other steps I tried in my first post that I did when I opened this thread. I do not know about any of the others, but Disk Check did not help me at all.

Which OS do you have? You never said. I have Windows XP SP2 with all of the updates including the couple that came out Tuesday 13 March 2007.

I am running winxp pro sp2 with all updates.

All I can say is that as soon as I moved my system to a new hardrive using acronis it started to work on the pcpitstop site.

Checkdisk did not fix the problem on my old disk I can boot from my old harddrive and the same error occours when I run pcpitstop.

I had to run the checkdisk when it boots to detect the disk errors on the drive.

I hope this helps out... I was just putting in my two cents... I hope you figure out the problem

I am running winxp pro sp2 with all updates.

All I can say is that as soon as I moved my system to a new hardrive using acronis it started to work on the pcpitstop site.

Checkdisk did not fix the problem on my old disk I can boot from my old harddrive and the same error occours when I run pcpitstop.

I had to run the checkdisk when it boots to detect the disk errors on the drive.

I hope this helps out... I was just putting in my two cents... I hope you figure out the problem

My Check disk was also run during the boot, that is how Check Disk works. Or at least on every computer I have ever tried running Check Disk on. You set it up when your logged on, and then a message comes up that says that it can't run because sometime in window is needed exclusivly, and it then ask me if I want to run it next time I restart my computer.

So I did the scan just fine. I have no bad sectors on my drive. everything checked out OK. But it might have sometime to do with you having XP Pro, and I have XP home. I do not know about the other guys that are having the same problem. But that is just a thought there... I learned a lot about how to do maintainance with computers when I got my degree. Specially since the degree was on Computers and other electronics.

Thanks for your input. But the Disk Check said that nothing was wrong with my drive.

Edited by r_rayjr

Oh, but heres a thought. Before you moved all your stuff from your old drive to your new one. When you set up your drive, did you set it up as a FAT drive? Or did you set it up as a NTFS. The last time I switched drives for someone, it does ask this option if you want FAT or NTFS. Or it should have if you set up your drive right. My Drive is set up for NTFS, which is suppose to be better for Windows XP.

If you are not sure, and if you do not know how to check. Just right click on start, left click on Explorer, then Right click on Drive C: Or what every letter your drive is, and then left click on Properties. And then look at the General tab, and under File System it should say NTFS or FAT.

I just thought I would bring this up because not a lot of people know about the FAT and NTFS thing.

Edited by r_rayjr