Change Mode

How do I password protect my printer?

My sisters still aren't back in school, (they've missed 7 months now); with that in place, they find it necessary to come to my house and freeload off my computer. Downloading, burning cd's, you get the idea. Anyway, I find it perplexing that I often come home to all my printer paper just being..gone. around 30-50 sheets are loaded at a time, and I put a sign that specifically says NOT to print or steal my paper >_>.

Anyway, I was wondering, I figure the only way to stop this problem is to either unplug my printer during the day, or password protect the printer, or just disallow access to my computer all together. What should I do?

hide the paper. :geezer:

then again, with the cost of ink....hide the ink cartridges as well. :P

i would put a password on the computer to disallow access.

Edited by JackeL

My sisters still aren't back in school, (they've missed 7 months now); with that in place, they find it necessary to come to my house and freeload off my computer. Downloading, burning cd's, you get the idea. Anyway, I find it perplexing that I often come home to all my printer paper just being..gone. around 30-50 sheets are loaded at a time, and I put a sign that specifically says NOT to print or steal my paper >_>.

Anyway, I was wondering, I figure the only way to stop this problem is to either unplug my printer during the day, or password protect the printer, or just disallow access to my computer all together. What should I do?

Set them up with a user account with only user access and do the following.

I don't know a way to protect your printer by a password, but Windows offers another way to protect your system from being used by others: protect your user account with a password! To use a printer, you need to install the driver. For that you will have to be an administrator on your system. So when you want someone else to use your PC but not the printer, you will have to make up an user account for that person and give him only user access or even guest rights. Starting with NT (i.e. NT - 2000 and XP), Windows was capable of useraccounts and management of user rights. When there is no other user than the one you announced while installing Windows, only 2 users are set: administrator (a default account) and the default user. It is definitely a best practise to set a password for your user. By that you can control, which user is able to do what on your system.

But please: don't forget the password! Neither the user's nor the administrator's password can be brought back, when they are lost. The administrator on a Windows system is always able to reset the user passwords, so this password is the most important.

But please: don't forget the password! Neither the user's nor the administrator's password can be brought back, when they are lost.

yes they can :)

open up windows explorer. Tools>folder options>View scroll to the bottom uncheck use simplie file sharing.

Right click the printer. goto sharing.share the printer. click on the security tab and set the permissions as you'd like.

Use the KISS principle. Just hide the paper supply, then your sisters will have to bring their own.

sounds good, but the ink cartridges cost a huge amount more compared to the paper.

• 2 years later...