Change Mode

doing a full install of vista will my files b ethere?

gordesky1

hi i was wondering if i do a full install will my game folder and documents and stuff be intact?

it wont let me do upgrade it blue screens.

If you are planning to upgrade to Vista I would suggest that you install Vista in a separate partition in a dual-boot environment, that way you could use it without any consequences.

If you still want to install Vista by replacing your OS backup all you files.

If you use your PC for multimedia, word processing or office stuff you will like Vista since is useful in that area.

Even though many current software titles and games work with Vista I personally see an equal or lower performance in Vista compare with XP.

I have even issues with Microsoft’s own Office 2002; it might not work properly with Vista.

I have installed Vista in eleven PCs.

Three installations were upgrade over XP and there were several errors with some applications even though they were working, other software tittles needed updates and some refused to work at all.

In the other eight PCs I performed a dual boot (XP/Vista) and the setup took around 30 minutes, including my own system.

If you need more info let me know

got vista installed and everything is runing very fast:) alot better than xp

i even loaded one of my games up with teh stock drivers and teh game plays alot faster:)

ya i ony use this pc for gaming:)

i got it installed on my laptop 2 had it for 4days on it and not oen problem at all.

and every game works and plays alot faster than it did with xp:)

oh and it saved every file i had:)

I don't know why they have not designed a method where you can upgrade your os without effecting other folders or registry information. I am sure loading vista will have some effect on your existing software. A backup is the only way to insure your software will be there after you finish loading the new os. There is a question about driver compatibility with reference to vista, if errors pop-up, the software developer will be coming up with updated drivers to work with his software. Check their websites for updated drivers. in case errors are shown.

so far no errors for hardware drivers or anything on my desktop and laptop:)

they do have a upgrade which makes it just like your main os whould be.

but i tried it and when it was loading setup it blue screen which i think it was because of raid which it didint ask me for the raid disk.

but teh full install ask me for the disk lol

Jojesa:

I am interested in Vista myself and am confused. I have one HD that has 102GB left of space. I do have another HD next to me thats 20GB however that is not plugged in. I only use that one for back ups.

Ne ways I am using a work computer and would like to know how to Keep everything I have XP and how to get Vista in without loosing everything.

You stated that you can have both.

If you are planning to upgrade to Vista I would suggest that you install Vista in a separate partition in a dual-boot environment, that way you could use it without any consequences.

How do get a seperate partition to get the dual boot ?

Also if the dual boot is up would i have to reinstall all the programs like Offce Pro, Adobe Pro, Plaxo, AOL web, etc...

Thanks for your time

Jojesa:

I am interested in Vista myself and am confused. I have one HD that has 102GB left of space. I do have another HD next to me thats 20GB however that is not plugged in. I only use that one for back ups.

Ne ways I am using a work computer and would like to know how to Keep everything I have XP and how to get Vista in without loosing everything.

You stated that you can have both. How do get a seperate partition to get the dual boot ?

Also if the dual boot is up would i have to reinstall all the programs like Offce Pro, Adobe Pro, Plaxo, AOL web, etc...

Thanks for your time

To dual-boot Vista and XP in the same hard drive you must create a primary partition on that drive (Windows Vista have to be install in a primary partition), if you don't Vista will overwrite XP.

You will need a partitioning tool (software) like PatitionMagic, which can create a new partition with the free space available on your drive without damaging your current files.

Make sure you leave enough space on the new partition to setup VIsta (minimum 20GB).

There are also free partition utilities, like GParted (sourceforge.net), available on the web.

You will be able to install Vista on that new partition without interfering with XP and choose between booting with Vista or XP

You will have to re-install any software you have on XP since it will be a new separate installation

You will have to re-install any software you have on XP since it will be a new separate installation[\quote]

Darn it. I am sure i can figure a new way for email and adobe. I still have the keys and what not.

When i partition the HD will it be as simple as entering lets say 50GB and then hitting GO?

When i partition the HD will it be as simple as entering lets say 50GB and then hitting GO?

Depends on the partition program you will use. They all, both free and paying ones, come with instructions.

Archived