Change Mode

Another Windows Vista (tm) thread

:) Hey all, long time no post. I was at Office Depot last night with the wife who was looking for office supplies (go figure), and I happened upon the Windows Vista display. There were four versions there, not counting the upgrade offeres. Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, and Super Duper Premium. Pricing was from $199 or so to $399. I decided to take a look at the features on the box and guess what... No DX10.

Ok, I'll admit that I've been out of the loop for a few weeks, but I was under the impression that Vista had DX10. I fully understand that it is coming, and when it is here, the would be customer will be able to download it just like always. However, the only thing that is new so far is IE 7 which is having trouble working with Java applications.

This is all merely a rant. So... who wants to rant with me? :)

This is why I recommend people wait about a year to switch to Vista, if they ever do. XP/2000 can do everything you need it to now, it'll do it faster, and you won't have to buy a brand new computer.

Microsoft should release their products when they're finished. Releasing what is essentially a beta as a product on the market is unprofessional to say the least.

Vista will have dx10, once it's finalized

and ie7 is on xp now... don't have probs w/ java either...

We've had problems at work with our service information sites. Chrysler has upgraded recently, but before then, we had to run IE 6.0.

In the immortal words of the water boy's Mom, ie7 is the debbo.

Alls I'm asking is where is the dx10? And where is my r600?

:huh:

My VISTA does say DX10 as well but I spend more time working in Linux these days. My laptop dual boots both VISTA and openSuSE 10.2 but I always do my work in Linux. The installation makes VISTA looks like a joke since I had to search for drivers whilst SuSE installed everything, configured everything, even the wireless adapter, right out of the box.

Reason for working in Linux is that everything, all the tools I need, are free and they work.

This is why I recommend people wait about a year to switch to Vista, if they ever do. XP/2000 can do everything you need it to now, it'll do it faster, and you won't have to buy a brand new computer.

Microsoft should release their products when they're finished. Releasing what is essentially a beta as a product on the market is unprofessional to say the least.

Just found this on MS Discussion Groups for XP website.

Goes with what you said..."Microsoft should release their products when they're finished".

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...bb-458a90a763a0

The thing is, it used to be that software could drive hardware sales. A new program was always coming out that your used to be cutting edge PC could no longer run efficiently. It is my opinion that that technological curve has shifted. It will be interesting to see how this new OS will play out.

i got vista installed on my laptop right now as it main os with no problems at all:)

so far it runs smoother on the laptop than xp did and runs games better lol :)

tho still gona wait till i install it on my desktop for a few more days.

vista is pretty much a joke. if you want to buy more or less a fancy dancy jazzed up xp w/ some new features and spend the same amount of time defraging and virus cleaning,,,, ok then.

i'll save my 2-400 bux

Goes with what you said..."Microsoft should release their products when they're finished".

They never would release anything if they did that, they would have been out of business before they started. :shrug:

For that matter, there would be no operating systems and no software because most operating systems and software are evolutionary, not revolutionary. In other words software evolves and improves, it is never "finished".

Edited by Bruce

so far im likeing vista alot:)

seems stabler than xp and right out of the box it detected all my stuff.

oh and i got it on my desktop now:)

runs faster than xp was and plays my games better lol

heck carmegeddon 2 plays better lol i had trouble geting it to work on xp right.

vista didint have a problem hehe:)