Sign in to follow this  
gobigred

worth upgrading 5 yr old system

TechExpress link for your current results:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=A9AQFWCXH7WSNYTJ

Debating whether to upgrade processor and /or memory. Realize processor options for socket A are limited these days but figure would be cheaper than buying new system in 2-3 years? Not much of gamers here- just sims & sports games and general internet.

You might want to check out eBay and see what's available on there. There's a ton of new and refurbished machines on there at reasonable prices. Just my 2 cents.

Ebay is a great place to get used Computer stuff. I got my friend a 3ghz CPU 512mb RAM system with good video card for $250. When technology gets older prices drop.

There will be no performance difference in your case, since the RAM will slow down to PC2100 speeds regardless of whether it is PC2700, or 3200.

Oh yeah, I forgot some motherboards can run the RAM out of sync with the FSB. However, doing so can result in latency penalties, since the FSB will have to catch up with the RAM.

You can upgrade to an AthlonXP 3000+ since it says your motherboard can support up to 333Mhz FSB for processors. The FSB runs on a Dual data rate principle, which means a 166Mhz FSB would translate in 333Mhz, 133Mhz = 266, and so on.

So, go for a 3000+ and some PC2700 RAM.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Athlon...xt&start=10

Ebay will be much cheaper no doubt.

Edited by brandon

No offense to Brandon, but I would think twice before upgrading to the XP 3000+.....For some reason, (maybe because they have been discontinued for a couple years)they are grossly expensive.. over $200..........you can get a new in the box athlon 64 3800+ barebones (Just the case,power supply,CPU and Motherboard) for a little over the cost of the XP 3000+ CPU alone. Most of your stuff will work on it..

Nothing against the XP3000+......I have 3 computers set up with them right now and they are great...They just aren't worth anywhere near what they are selling for. Considering the fact that socket A is discontinued, it would be hard to replace the motherboard if it went bad a couple years from now....

Just for reference...XP 3000+ prices range from about $210-$275., and most are system pulls, not new.........but an Athlon 64 3200+ is about $60 brand new in a retail box, and there are still LOTS of socket 939 boards out there. I would wait till you have a few hundred bucks saved up and buy a newer system rather than upgrade.

Check out this link from Toms Hardware Guide showing a comparison of the XP 3000+ and the 64 3200+...there is a BIG difference.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2004.htm...76&chart=27

PS.......I know all this because I was trying to get XP 3000+ cpus to upgrade my grandkids Asrock K7 boards...After sending back nine (yup, 9) dead XP 3000's (All listed as NEW OEM), I gave up and decided to just save up and get them new computers next xmas....the single core Athlon 64's should be even cheaper by then.

Edited by M1918A1

No offense to Brandon, but I would think twice before upgrading to the XP 3000+.....For some reason, (maybe because they have been discontinued for a couple years)they are grossly expensive.. over $200..........you can get a new in the box athlon 64 3800+ barebones (Just the case,power supply,CPU and Motherboard) for a little over the cost of the XP 3000+ CPU alone. Most of your stuff will work on it..

Nothing against the XP3000+......I have 3 computers set up with them right now and they are great...They just aren't worth anywhere near what they are selling for. Considering the fact that socket A is discontinued, it would be hard to replace the motherboard if it went bad a couple years from now....

Just for reference...XP 3000+ prices range from about $210-$275., and most are system pulls, not new.........but an Athlon 64 3200+ is about $60 brand new in a retail box, and there are still LOTS of socket 939 boards out there. I would wait till you have a few hundred bucks saved up and buy a newer system rather than upgrade.

Check out this link from Toms Hardware Guide showing a comparison of the XP 3000+ and the 64 3200+...there is a BIG difference.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2004.htm...76&chart=27

PS.......I know all this because I was trying to get XP 3000+ cpus to upgrade my grandkids Asrock K7 boards...After sending back nine (yup, 9) dead XP 3000's (All listed as NEW OEM), I gave up and decided to just save up and get them new computers next xmas....the single core Athlon 64's should be even cheaper by then.

No offense taken. Gobigred wanted upgrade options for the computer, and I gave them. If I wask asked for upgrade options to a new computer, things would have been different. ;)

The only decent price i could find for socket A were for XP2200s...everything else is priced way higher.

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?ID=...S=1076&P=SZ

http://www.compuvest.com/Search.jsp?Search...advsite=bizrate

Both places list them as new with 30 or 60 day warranties....$40 to $70 OEM......Somebody must have dumped a bunch of them on the wholesale market, because they are even cheaper than slower models

Thanks to all for replies- I was surprised at how much Athlon cpu upgrades are for socket A- going from 1.4 to 1.8 almost doesn't seem worth it. If I upgrade memory to PC2700 will I have to upgrade the cpu as well since the 1.4 has a 133 fsb?

TechExpress link for your current results:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=A9AQFWCXH7WSNYTJ

Debating whether to upgrade processor and /or memory. Realize processor options for socket A are limited these days but figure would be cheaper than buying new system in 2-3 years? Not much of gamers here- just sims & sports games and general internet.

if your going to update you might as well update the motherboard as well,older boards are 400 fsb,at best 800. especially if you are going to be using it for graphics such as games,if your just an internet surfer dont go over board and buy high end you wont need it, but if you are a gamer it will get pricey