I was told by Toshiba to "uncheck" automatic updates because downloading them did make your log on time longer. The explanation was that there are many updates not needed by all persons, and that each time you log on, some of the updates for programs you do not use searches for the program during log on and this makes log on slower.

Is anyone on this page familiar with what was told to me by Toshiba?

And, does the advice sound correct?

I also disabled Automatic Updates

Each Service that is set to Automatic when Windows starts will perform its task at boot time. So, if you disable Automatics Updates (and some other no needed Services) you will save some time when the system boots.

Make sure you keep doing updates as they become available though.

• 4 weeks later...

I also disabled Automatic Updates

Each Service that is set to Automatic when Windows starts will perform its task at boot time. So, if you disable Automatics Updates (and some other no needed Services) you will save some time when the system boots.

Make sure you keep doing updates as they become available though.

Hey man,manual is the way to go with those!
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there an easy way to double check those automatic updates that are still sitting on my system?

should be in control panel/ add/remove programs list. Unless you mean ones that are downloaded but not installed, for those they should be in the windows updater list. and you can always go windowsupdate website an check there as well by running the update scanner there. Edited by Wademan

What I meant was the humpngous list that is in add/remove programs.

How do I know which I don't need ??

But they are already installed :(

I don't use the remote services, for example, and there have been a lot of updates that the knowledge base says we "must" have. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

should be in control panel/ add/remove programs list. Unless you mean ones that are downloaded but not installed, for those they should be in the windows updater list. and you can always go windowsupdate website an check there as well by running the update scanner there.