Change Mode

System Mechanic - FYI

I downloaded and tried SM. It keeps disabling programs I use, saying they are not necessary. It also compacted my memory and now there is an error message saying "can't read memory" every time I try to start an app. I can not find any way to undo these actions and the only response from tech support is for me to search the knowledge base.

This software is supposed to help maintain the computer, but is has caused me hours of problems and trouble with no help from their support.

Allen

I must have said it a thousand time system mechanic is a very unforgiving, though great

bit of software.

I strongly suggest that you remove it and goto the knowledge base and read up

along with any thing else you may find on it's use, before doing anything else

select the wrong thing and you will at the very least have to format if not worse

this is for system mechanic 5 profesional and should work for the free d/l

as well as the next older version

http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kbarticle.aspx?id=KBA-01533

Part of the instructions want you to make registry changes, i strongly advise

that you make a back up of your current registry before you do.

Even a messed up registry is better than none.

here is how to make a back up

In the run box type regedit

Once the registry is open select the very top icon it will have the word root in it

Now right click and from the drop down box select export and export it to

your documnets folder making sure you name it something like bckup1.reg

Now if you wish to make the changes they ask for other than right in the registry

make a copy of the back up you just made only when you name it change the

reg to txt the file name will be changed from this bckup1.reg to bckup1.txt.

Remeber to leave the original back up alone

Now right click the text version and select either note pad or word pad to open it

once the file is open select the find from the drop down menu at the top of either

word pad or note pad and copy and paste what ever it ask for and it will be found for you

or you can look your self, each time you make a changed select save, once completly

done select save as and rename the file to bckup2.reg then right click and select merge

that will put it in the registry reboot and hope for the best.

If the registry change does not work the first time do it again just keep in mind you

do not want to ever change the original back up.

Edited by Bear

Oh my...I've moved this topic twice :blushing: I hope we found a home and the answers you need here In "User to User Help".

My apologies parice123 :thud:

Best two out of three ? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I downloaded and tried SM. It keeps disabling programs I use, saying they are not necessary. It also compacted my memory and now there is an error message saying "can't read memory" every time I try to start an app. I can not find any way to undo these actions and the only response from tech support is for me to search the knowledge base.

This software is supposed to help maintain the computer, but is has caused me hours of problems and trouble with no help from their support.

Allen

I been useing SM since V 4 Nothing but good to say about it. I suggest starting over and be careful what you check for it to do and at the very least make a sys. restore point till your satisified with its performance. Its a good program when configured right. Good Luck.

Allen

Give a link to the "read me" files...

This is SM 7, The latest version. What I want to do is uncompress my memory files so the computer can read them. I am not very experienced with messing with files and usually cause more problems than I fix. I had the 30 day trial which has expired and been unistalled.

Where is the 'readme' files?

Ok i think that either your confused or just not getting your message across so lets start at the start :)

I downloaded and tried SM. It keeps disabling programs I use,

Ok what programs and what do you mean disable and are there any error messages?

It also compacted my memory

You have me on this one, a better explanation is needed.

now there is an error message saying "can't read memory"

I am thinking that is only part of the message, more info here as well

Did you even try the removal from my previous post?