Change Mode

AGP still got some life left?

AGP is just about dead. It's only a matter of time before manufacturers just plain stop putting AGP slots on their motherboards. I'm actually surprised that hasn't already happened. The number of new motherboards with AGP slots is certainly dwarfed by the number of boards with PCIE slots, though.

hell, you can still buy socket A systems.

agp mobos and video cards will still be around for years to come.

sure all the new stuff is coming out pci-e, but there's way more out there that uses agp still running out there.

I would rather have the bandwidth and not need it than to need the bandwidth and not have it.

I can recommend some $50,000 servers for you then. They have all the bandwidth (memory, and otherwise) you need and more. ;)

Having too much bandwidth is a waste. If it goes unused, there is no performance gain whatsoever, but there's plenty spare to go unused though.

Edited by brandon

I can recommend some $50,000 servers for you then. They have all the bandwidth (memory, and otherwise) you need and more. ;)

Having too much bandwidth is a waste. If it goes unused, there is no performance gain whatsoever, but there's plenty spare to go unused though.

How about this, too much bandwidth for the same price as just enough?

Another thing, PCIe isn't exclusive to Video Cards. There are devices that do need the bandwidth.

Edited by Cowboy3000

How about this, too much bandwidth for the same price as just enough?

Another thing, PCIe isn't exclusive to Video Cards. There are devices that do need the bandwidth.

That works too.

The only device that could use the bandwidth of PCIe is: Nothing out now, at least for the consumer market.

I'm all for added bandwidth, but I'd like to see devices that would put it to good use before I see more bandwidth.

and actually, the too much bandwidth is not really true. there's been multiple reports of high end video cards hogging the pci band to the point where pci audo cards start to 'pop' because the bandwidth is getting to congested to keep up with the audio.

but if you figure a quad gpu setup, a psyhics card, and maybe a x1 network card, you've already used more lanes than the mobo has available for pci-e

and actually, the too much bandwidth is not really true. there's been multiple reports of high end video cards hogging the pci band to the point where pci audo cards start to 'pop' because the bandwidth is getting to congested to keep up with the audio.

but if you figure a quad gpu setup, a psyhics card, and maybe a x1 network card, you've already used more lanes than the mobo has available for pci-e

Would you happen to be referring to sound cards made by creative that pop & crackle would you? If it is, then that has nothing to do with bandwidth, but lousy bus mastering on the motherboard's part.

Edited by brandon

I said for the consumer market, not prosumer, workstation, or server. I mean, to use up all the bandwidth of PCIe x16, you'd need about 66 harddrives with 60MB/s transfer rates all running at the same time. Double that figure if it's bi-directional. ;)

I don't want too drag this on, so I'll say this: It's nice to have the bandwidth, but I'd like to see a consumer product that takes advantage of all the bandwidth offered by PCIe. The only things remotely doing so are graphics cards. There's virtually nothing out there for PCIe. It's taken until now just to get things other than video cards designed for PCIe.

Edited by brandon

the ony reson i went to pcie motherboard because the prices of the pcie are cheeper than agp lol.

i was gona stick with agp my trusty dfi 250gb but i whould of had to pay about 300$ for the x1950pro.

which i got a whole new computer that beats for alittle more:)

ony got the x1900gt for ony 149$ and it the best card i ever had plays everything maxed:)

but i whouldint go back because loveing dual core and the performence:)

i still got both my agp systems socket a and my 754 a64 system useing them for backups and media:)

also i went right to it is saw this dfi motherboard for ony 54$ on sale:)

and its a realy nice ooverclocker still wants to go higher than 2.85ghzs:) but cant because ram holding me back.

but if the x1950pro for ago was 200$ or lower i whould of problee stayed with agp.

Edited by gordesky1

that's an example of a top end agp card. the top end pcie cards are also very expensive.

a 6600gt can be had for under 100 bux and will also play most any game very well. i still use this card and an a64 3500+ to do my gaming. very satisfied.