Change Mode

I just got it back from a local computer store, I decided I would have them diagnose it for $50. They report that the following things are useless/damaged:

Motherboard

CPU

Power supply

Surprised it worked at all! Guess I am getting a new computer... :adios:

Not sure how accurate this diagnosis would be. Seems strange you would fry it all at the same time. Per my previous post, my ram was the only thing hurt.

The single beep, depending on bios usually means all OK as mentioned earlier, but normally the MBO bios determines that.

If you want to build your own PC, there are a couple good sites with great tips and instructions. I have built more than 40 PC's in the last couple years and I draw house plans for a living.

I wouldn't throw away all your old parts just yet, if you got power to fans and such, seems PWR supply may be good. I would still bet your board heated up at the ram slot.

If you would like, I can post a couple links on building your own pc.

As far as Dell unit. I am not a fan of Intel, I have always used Gigabyte boards and AMD CPU's.

My last unit for New Antec case, new board, CPU (64 bit 3800) and 1 gig of ram was just under $400, if you add for HDD, DVD and GFX card, it would have been another $250 or $650 total and that was buying locally from a Frye Electronics store.

If you order your parts online, get a board with video and sound on it, something with a good nVidea chipset, you can save over a grand in cost. You just don't get the support and full pc box warranty.

I just bought my Father-in-laws old PC that I built 4 years ago, I use at my office for a second PC and file backup. He had a unit built and spent $850, but wasn't near the GO i got on my last build for $200 less. It really isn't that tough with good instructions and some patience.

That's my 2 cents

Another quick note on previous mention, you don't have to have all those parts as add-ons, i.e. sound, NIC card, Modem and such. Most good boards come with these on them already.

Edited by jimholley1

Yeah, used Edit a few times.

If you notice, my first one was a little late as noted.

Wasn't sure if adding to my next would get attention :boxing:

There, now it's only a double post 'cause I used the delete button as well. ;-) (this was done with edit)

Edited by jimholley1

Jim I agree it's highly unlikely that all those parts were trashed :clap: But considering that at the very least the motherboard was fried it could have also have damaged anything plugged into the motherboard.

Build your own computer can be less expensive than an off the shelf computer. That is providing you don't get the most expensive parts available but you also need to do some research to select the parts you need.

That Dell has the most expensive processor available even wholesale it's close to $1000USD. You don't need that even if you play highend games.

Also keep in mind you will have to buy an operating system and any other software you want for the home built system. Not trying to discourage you because there is little to compare with the charge of building your own system.

Really good points, if I bought it from Dell I would be paying for OS and another HD, etc.

I am a high end gamer, what class of motherboard should I buy? I really am lost here...

Edit: I would like to get a motherboard that can support the graphics card I already have, that way I can save a lot of $$

Edited by djsilver666666

Rather than recommend a motherboard let me tell you how I plan a system before I build it.

1 Check out Tom's hardware website the review motherboards,video cards, cases and other hardware

2. pick a case I always buy a case without a power supply but with case fans also since the motherboard I'm going to buy has firewire front and rear I'm looking at a case that supports that

3. Watch Sharky's web page for best processor and motherboard prices for the motherboard and processor I've decided meets my needs

Tip most of the new motherboards only have 1 IDE slot so that will be used by optical drives which means Sata drive/s.

4. check the web site for the motherboard I've chosen to see what bran/type of memory the board was tested using then plan to buy that.

5. unless you have a PCi-E video card you need to plan on buying a new video card

6. select a good quality power supply with enough watts to more than support my hardware with room to grow.

7. select a good sound card since I don't care for onboard sound.

Remember to compare more than prices on parts since some web sites provide free shipping (that's usually worth paying a couple of dollars more for the part.

8. buy retail motherboard and processor since they have the longest warranty.

Make a list of the parts and where I plan to buy them.

Hope I didn't discourage you just didn't want you to blindly into the project :geezer: Those of us who build computers forget too easily what goes into the process because it becomes easier the more often you do it.

building your own pc depends on your budget, I have to disagree with Mouse on that one, if your looking to go cheap, you can get a cheap pc at walmart or a place like that for around 3 to $400. I can't build one for that much, let alone a monitor and windows too. But...if your going on the high end for a pc, then building your own would be your best option, A $2500 top end pc will only cost you around $1500 to build yourself

Not quite sure what your disagree with me about since I didn't make any recommendation :cr@sh:

Personally I tell anybody that I can't beat the price on low end computers but high end I can build about $1000 cheaper :geezer:

J

Build your own computer can be less expensive than an off the shelf computer. That is providing you don't get the most expensive parts available but you also need to do some research to select the parts you need.

I was reffering to this comment Mouse, just didn't want djsilver to get the wrong inpression about building his own pc. I agree 100% that a high end pc will be better to build yourself, and a cheap pc...well ya buy a cheap pc and you'll get a cheap pc

I started drinking early today so please excuse any misunderstandings :b33r:

Gosh guys.

Seems the million dollar statement here is that no matter what anyone says or does, a person can save atleast a grand to build their own PC.

I will say, I just finished pricing my next build. I design homes with a pretty graphic intesive software and I am also an avid gamer. I do a bunch of online racing with people from all over the world at VMS.

With this in mind, I chose very good parts, although not the highest end, and I chose brands I knew. I don't feel bigger is always better, just sometimes. I always plan for additional growth as mouse indicated, as I usually only replace my business PC once every couple years. Between times I only upgrade if needed.

When I replace my office PC, my current unit comes to my home office and the current home office PC's get handed down to the kids. (or given to a under privledged person or child)

The short of it, I have a nice 64 bit CPU system with a good 512 meg GFX card and all the goodies needed, less the monitor and OS, for $633.00. Although shipping will be an extra $30.00.

If I choose to buy these parts from my local supplier, it will add $80.00 to the $633.00, but no shippng and no waiting, and in my opinion, my current system rocks pretty well at designing and gaming.

And yes, I have my own business, so my office PC is also a gaming PC since some of the racing is sponsored in other countries and due to time differences, I may have a race at 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

So djsilver666666, The research only took me about 1-1/2 hours total, online. It would take me a couple hours to buy local as stores don't always have what they show online and you should make phone calls if buying locally in order to verify inventory. This time did include glancing at some comparison reviews on a couple of the parts, ie. MBO and GFX card.

I have recommended to many friends, "if you can plug a cord into a wall, look at a few tutorials for the clean build ideas and build your own PC." This way you always no what you have. Kinda like servicing your own vehicle, well to an extent anyway. (I do my own tuneups oil changes and brakes, the rest is left to a reputable local service company.)

The cord in the wall comment is clarified as meaning you can actually read instrucitons and have atleast a slight mechanical aptitude. So if you have ever built a model, put together a pice of furniture or a kids toy, you could probably build a PC.

Go with your gut feeling and may the force be with you........(hehe)

Good luck.

You sure know your stuff but a first time builder should take I think a bit more time in making their choices :geezer: In my case I savor the planning almost as much as the building also like to watch the prices drop on a part I want since I just won't pay bleeding edge prices :laughing: Agree wholeheartedly that is doesn't really take much talent to build a computer just a bit of care (most people look at you like your nuts when you tell them how easy it is) :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Great suggestions everybody :) but I have already bought a pc from dell (not the one mentioned) and for less than $1500 (including tax and shipping) and it meets my brother's gaming needs. But since I love high-end stuff and when I get a new computer that's what I'll be getting, then I will be building it myself.