Change Mode

I have an ABS computer that I was installing a new sound card into and replacing the one 512 RAM with two 1024s. When I tried to boot, I got a black screen. So I set the computer on its side and pulled out the RAM and re-installed it, tried to re-boot again. Same black screen. I tried to reboot two more times and on the second something made a small kinda pop or phss sound and I smell something really nasty. Tried to hold the power button 3 sec, didn't work, so I flipped the power-strip switch. I opened a window and have let the room air for almost two hours. I tried to reboot the computer after taking out the new RAM and sound card and re-installing the old RAM. Same black screen. :mrsgreen: Did the mother board short? :(

Did you have the power connected when making hardware changes? Guessing the monitor was connected while trying to boot if it was and it's a crt monitor it could be the monitor is gone. The pop and smell are signs something electrical has blown.

I made the hardware changes while the computer was turned off, but not un-plugged. I don't think it is the power supply because I did try to boot it again today (with the old hardware) and it turned on without any trouble, but nothing displays on the screen.

The monitor was connected when I was trying to boot, but I could swear the pop and smell came from the chassis. I could try another monitor (LCD) because I have another computer that I normally use.

The one thing that has me stumped is that normally during the boot if I press the power button once it shuts-down immediately instead of the three-second hold to shut down. Which is the only way it responds to shut down, does that mean that the BIOS isn't loading? And could I try to detach all peripherals besides the video card and RAM to see if the BIOS loads? Because the BIOS doesn't require a HD to be connected, right?

I bought the upgrades to fix the computer, not ruin it! :cr@sh:

It's a really bad idea to work on a computer (make hardware changes) while plugged in. Something is fried as to what it is will be trial and error to find what it is. If it's not the monitor then my next suspect would be the video card. Don't think it's that the bios aren't load because in that case you should at least get light to the screen. Do all the fans come on and stay on even though the screen is black? The reason for asking is you could have blown the motherboard.

When working inside the computer it's best to have no power connected and the hold the power button for at least 3 seconds to drain the capacitors.

The way to check the video card is you need to use a known good card usually I have one laying around or will pull one from a working system. If a known good video card doesn't work my next suspect would be the motherboard not passing power through to the slots (had one of those and it's bad news).

I suspect the board got fried....seeing as how djsilver666666 was installing memory, the power supply on new pc's will have a residule voltage going to the board even if it's turned off but still plugged in

They only put a certain amount of smoke in those boards, and if you let the smoke out, it won't work without it and ya can't put the smoke back in either

I suspect the board got fried....seeing as how djsilver666666 was installing memory, the power supply on new pc's will have a residule voltage going to the board even if it's turned off but still plugged in

They only put a certain amount of smoke in those boards, and if you let the smoke out, it won't work without it and ya can't put the smoke back in either

Smoke? What's that? I've never heard of it.

I have another comp so I will switch video cards and see if that works.

something made a small kinda pop or phss sound and I smell something really nasty.

that might have been the smoke getting out....

very bad thing for your pc

Unfortunately I don't have a graphics card that I can use to test the comp, one of my comps is so old it doesn't have a graphics card and the other is new enough that the cards are incompatible. Guess I will have to take it somewhere to be checked out unless you have some suggestions. :(

Can't believe I didn't think of this at first, I plugged the monitor into another comp so I know the problem must be with a part in the chassis. I do hear one quick faint beep a couple of seconds after bootup, any ideas?

The comp is gonna be taken to some place to be checked soon, unless I can figure out what's wrong so I can save $100 for having it looked at.

Edited by djsilver666666

Are you saying you know the monitor is ok because you plugged it into another computer? But that your still getting a black screen on the orginial computer?

We did tell you that you might have fried the motherboard from working on it while plugged in. so if the shop tells you need a new motherboard very likely they will be right.

Yes, the moniter works great. Bet I coulda fried the mother board. :bang::bawling::grr::soapbox::pullhair: I shoulda asked if their was some safe thing I needed to do first.. :erm::shrug: (man I like the smilies this forum has :yup: )

"I do hear one quick faint beep a couple of seconds after bootup, any ideas?" Does that mean anything?

weird 1beep usely meen everything is ok and it boots up.

tho this site says 1 beep no video means bad memory.

http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

tho that poping and smell means something got fried dont sound to good:(

did you check the memory and see if that could of been teh smell and burnng?

or can you look on the memory slots on the board and check for any burnt or smell?

Edited by gordesky1

what's the specs on the cpu?

if it's more that a 2 gig cpu...then save it for the new board, rarely does the cpu get damaged but there's alway's a possibility I reckon. But I've seen many fried boards with good cpu's

better yet...send it to me if it's more than a 2 gig'r and I'll cover the ship costs

Edited by Joe C

better yet...send it to me if it's more than a 2 gig'r and I'll cover the ship costs

LOL :P

No, they specifically said that was fried too.

I would like to get a new desktop computer, and I think I might build it myself rather than buy it from some place like Dell. Suggestions for parts?

building your own pc is a good idea

http://www.newegg.com/

Thanks for the link. I've never built a pc before, any tips? (Precautions about things I should/not do, like holding the power button for 3 sec after removing the power cord to discharge the capacitors)

Any brands that I should/not buy for my parts? BTW I am a Seagate fan :)

Edited by djsilver666666

Actually my parents aren't so hot on the idea of me building a system. So here is what I am looking at from Dell:

XPS 410 | Price (customized) is $2,308.00

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)

Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition with re-installation CD

MEMORY 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 1TB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

No Monitor

VIDEO CARD 256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

PHYSICS ACCELERATOR AGEIA® PhysX® physics accelerator

SOUND CARD Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition

No speakers

KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard

No Floppy Drive

MODEM 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

My Software

PRODUCTIVITY No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit

ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY Norton Internet Security™ 2006 Edition 15-months edit

No preinstalled software

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service edit

DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS 6 Months of America Online Membership Included edit

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0

Labels Windows Vista™ Capable

Good buy? Edited by djsilver666666