5- camera card reader via usb

6- webcam via usb

6- mic, speaker

7- onboard lan, sound and video

8- system had original 1 stick of ram - 256mb

9- installed another 256mb ram of same kind and speed

10- installed 512mb ram of same kidn and speed

11- the system worked find until recently. and here's what it does:

1- on power-up, (p.o.s.t.) the mobo logo freezes and would not continue. there are horizontal lines across the mobo logo. and a continuous beep is heard. this doesn't always happen.

when the pc is turned off once, twice or 3 times, it goes on to windows.

2- sometimes it says: overclocking failed, press f1 to go to setup, pf2 to continue with defaults.

3- sometimes it gives error msg: cmos checksum bad.

4- sometimes it goes straight to windows after 3 or 4 times turning pc on and off.

5- the memory is total of 1024mb, however, when i go to "my computer", it shows 960mb (64mb is missing).

6- it seems that the pc is forgetting the cmos seetings or something.

7- if i shut the system down, and turn it on immediately, there are no problems, only when i wait 10-20 minutes, this problem happens.

i have:

- replaced the cmos battery. it shows over 3 volts

- cleared the cmos (moved jumpers to pin 2 and 3 to clear

and then back to normal (1 and 2 pins)).

- downloaded bios from asus site and updated the bios.

- still same problems.

any ideas why it's doing this? is it cpu? mobo? ram? hdd? or what?

thanks!

Could be a few things doing that … first off the reason you have lost 64 meg of ram is because its being used by the on board graphics … as far as the machine not booting I would try running it with one stick of ram and see how it behaves that way … lastly it could be a marginal / failing power supply ....

One other thing ... some machines exhibit a bizare trait of trying to boot off usb storage devices ... i would remove that camera card reader and see how it boots then

thanks guys.

cats, i think you're right about psu. the voltage seems marginal. the 3 volts shows 2.91, the 5 volts shows 4.95, the 12 volt shows 11.95, etc.

caintry boy, thanks for the good info about the beeps. my beeps is a bunch of series of short continuous beeps, which leads to believe as cats said, a marginal or failing psu. so, i'm gonna change that bad boy.

thanks again.

Check sum errors are detected when the POST matches the information on the BIOS itself to it's own information. If it's same, the BIOS is assumed good, and the booting process continues. When they don't match, It's always fatal. It is mostly caused by a corrupted BIOS, and you need to buy a new BIOS chip suitable for your motherboard

i dont know how to politely reply to that ............ so i wont

hi,

"ineedhelp",

are you serious? i need to replace my bios chip? is it even replaceable? or is it soldered to the mobo?

as, i said, i think cats is on the right track. my psu is not supplying enough voltage. i checked again last night. the 12 volt is 11.42. the 5 volt is 4.72. the 3.3 volt shows 3.20 and the 1.5 volt is 1.27. so, according to the spec, this power supply is not supplying enough voltage. i've ordered a new psu. and i'll post the result.

No ... you dont need to replace the bios eprom .... let us know how you go with the new power supply

I would second checking out the PSU. Your bios isnt a plug and play chip it is indeed a part of the mboard. It can be flashed to upgrade but that is just rewriting info to the chip not replacing it. Let us know how it goes with the PSU.

Check sum errors are detected when the POST matches the information on the BIOS itself to it's own information. If it's same, the BIOS is assumed good, and the booting process continues. When they don't match, It's always fatal. It is mostly caused by a corrupted BIOS, and you need to buy a new BIOS chip suitable for your motherboard

inhr, Checksum error occurs ussually when the Bios looses the configurated settings... It doesn't mean you have to buy a new Bios chip... just reconfigure or reset it with Cmos clear and check that the mobo batery is'nt dead.

problem solved:

it was the psu. as soon as i put a new psu, the pc booted up clean. i repeated it several times to make sure it's good, and every time, it booted clean.

thanks guys.

inhr, Checksum error occurs ussually when the Bios looses the configurated settings... It doesn't mean you have to buy a new Bios chip... just reconfigure or reset it with Cmos clear and check that the mobo batery is'nt dead.

it depends on your motherboard, but i only found that on my trusty old troubleshooting pocketbook :geezer:

it depends on your motherboard, but i only found that on my trusty old troubleshooting pocketbook :geezer:

Considering I've had 8 Mobos in 3 Years, I'd asume that almost 99% of mobos are like what I said Edited by Luis_GT