Change Mode

mx400 mouse / suse 10.1

ok, i have no idea what these googled pages are saying to do, lol.

pretty much i'm just trying to get my side (forward, back) buttons to work. right now they're functioning as left click buttons, lol. trying using yast w/ the hardware to get my mouse to work right, but there's only about 8 options for different types of mice and this one isn't included.

Okay wdeydwondrer you will note that even though your'e using YAST to configure your mouse, YAST is using SaX2 to do the work which is where you can start in future. What type or brand even is your mouse? :)

Okay since you do indeed have that Logitech MX400 mouse with all them buttons it seems you need the evdev driver to make it work as expected. Here is a good link to approach the problem from:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Advanced_Mous..._Configurations

I would start by copying your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so you can practice playing with it without changing a thing.

In Konsole run:

cp<SPACE> /etc/X11/xorg.conf <SPACE>/home/"User"/COPYfiles (or some better name than that) (you are "USER"

(<SPACE> is just a single space)

Now you can click on that file in your /home directory to change its name so it would not ever be confused with the actual /etc/X11/xorg.conf and play with vi or kate or what ever to change your xorg.conf file in just the manner described at the Gentoo web page. DO NOT CHANGE THE REAL /etc/X11/xorg.conf in any way!

Also run as root:

# modprobe evdev

if output is:

FATAL: Module evdev not found. Then you gonna need that I think.

How many fingers you got anyway? :P

Edited by dimwit

it's the logitech mx 400 mouse. standard 2button, scroll wheel that tilts l/r and presses down, and includes a forward/backward browser button on the thumb. best corded mouse i've ever used.

and that read is really confusing, LOL

I would start by copying your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file so you can practice playing with it without changing a thing.

In Konsole run:

cp<SPACE> /etc/X11/xorg.conf <SPACE>/home/"User"/COPYfiles (or some better name than that) (you are "USER"

(<SPACE> is just a single space)

Now you can click on that file in your /home directory to change its name so it would not ever be confused with the actual /etc/X11/xorg.conf and play with vi or kate or what ever to change your xorg.conf file in just the manner described at the Gentoo web page. DO NOT CHANGE THE REAL /etc/X11/xorg.conf in any way!

Also run as root:

# modprobe evdev

if output is:

FATAL: Module evdev not found. Then you gonna need that I think.

How many fingers you got anyway? tongue.gif

simple enough :rofl2:

i edited my xorg.conf file to get the side buttons of my mx1000 working.

heres how it looks:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse[1]"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Buttons" "7"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"

Option "Name" "Logitech MX1000"

Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"

Option "Vendor" "Sysp"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"

EndSection

probably should back up your xorg.conf before you edit it, but don't ask me how....'cause i do not bother with backing things up.

....that is for weenies. :laughing:

:b33r:

i edited my xorg.conf file to get the side buttons of my mx1000 working.

heres how it looks:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse[1]"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Buttons" "7"

Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

Option "InputFashion" "Mouse"

Option "Name" "Logitech MX1000"

Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2"

Option "Vendor" "Sysp"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"

Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"

EndSection

probably should back up your xorg.conf before you edit it, but don't ask me how....'cause i do not bother with backing things up.

....that is for weenies. :laughing:

:b33r:

Copy it to your home directory, floppy disk, CD, another computer............. :lol: (That is a backup)

If there is a problem, then copy it back to /etc/X11

ya, that doesn't make anything different work for me beyond having my mouse named what it is now Jackel..... the two side buttons still function as a left click.

and um..... ya, the more i read into that link you provided, the more confused i get. i need to get the sdk and evdev rpm packages and build them or something. this may be getting over my head here, lol

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Wdeydwondrer I admit I would not go through all the trouble just to make two extra buttons on a mouse that is working do something else. ;) From what I googled about your mouse the x11-input-evdev is the key to make your mouse work. I've only seen this rpm:

x11-input-evdev-050728-3.i586.rpm

at this repository:

http://suse.mirrors.tds.net/pub/opensuse/d...urce/suse/i586/

I'm guessing your using SUSE, but which version?

I would set this way back on the back burner for now, with the goal of making your mouse work in future, but not today. :)

The web site is talking about several different ways, using differnet versions of XOrg, to use evdev. Start with the basics, your version of XOrg isin the conf. file. Limit yourself to the information that concerns your version of Xorg.

For XOrg 6.9 or greater, you'll want to use the new evdev driver for USB mice. This will allow all the mouse buttons to function, and nine times out of ten, you won't have to remap buttons to get things working properly.

Search for the evdev driver using YAST Software Management, is it offered by any of your sources?

Don't give up on your mouse , but pace yourself, I'm sure you will learn all about the things that seem confusing now.

well, the mouse is the only thing i'm doing. i don't have any other projects and i haven't even played a video game in a month, lol.

my xorg is ver7.1 and i've already searched for the evdev in the software management. that's why i'm having some troubles, lol

i can follow most the directions, it's just that they are like "if you don't have it, then you'll have to build it from source" and then they move on to what to do after that's done.

if you're willing to post help here for this, i can follow along. i'm just stuck on finding the evdev driver and getting it "built"

well, the mouse is the only thing i'm doing. i don't have any other projects and i haven't even played a video game in a month, lol.

my xorg is ver7.1 and i've already searched for the evdev in the software management. that's why i'm having some troubles, lol

i can follow most the directions, it's just that they are like "if you don't have it, then you'll have to build it from source" and then they move on to what to do after that's done.

Wdeydwondrer I've searched myself for the evdev driver and was hoping for an rpm file, there are a few, but you may need to just install it from source. Are you using SUSE? Which version? If you just ask specific questions here at the forum there is plenty of help better than me here.

Have you run cat /proc/bus/input/devices?

You need to prepare for this one, you can get a tar file of evdev and install from it from source , Did you in your searches find a web page that was clear to you? Try this one:

http://katze-mit-wut.azundris.com/archives...-and-x.org.html

what do you get from zcat /proc/config.gz|grep EVDEV?

Here are all the SUSE rpms I've been able to find:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&amp...v&srodzaj=3

Edited by dimwit
  • 3 weeks later...

well, i haven't done anything as it's ended up about my mouse here, and it now works.....

it never used to, then one day it just started to work like it should with the back and forward browse buttons in firefox......

everywhere else i click with them it still acts like a left mouse clicks, but in firefox it just started working as it should. does linux have a learning feature based on what you're trying to do?