Sign in to follow this  
Bear

Score another one for the best os out there

the thought is there. just need to get some DL dvd's and download it. but first i better get this thing figured out as to why its slow. i know the cpu is under strain but why? thats the question.

You don't need Dual Layer DVD's. The download is a single layer DVD :tup:

choice of os depends soly on what you want from it..obviously you love linux, if it suits your needs its great, but useless to ad it in your sig as if everyone should use it.

i'm a gamer, soly gameing, tweaking and surfing....so windows is a must, if i had linux, i'd be bored to death and would go outside to bare the dreaded sunlight.

I happen to have Quake 4, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Knights Of The Old Republic 1 and 2, Need For Speed Underground, Age Of Empires, and Starcraft. I'm always oh so bored with my linux distro. :rolleyes:

i'm still trying to figure out why my choice of os has anyone :filtered: me with opinions as if my preference is wrong, all i did was answer the thread title. All the os's are great to whomever prefers its use for what they want

if craftsman tools does the jobs i prefer for me then why on earth would i care to switch to snap-on??

and yes xxenxx, enthusiast market is extremely low...look it up, % varies on any poll, but its low nonetheless.

since i never said windows rules or linux sucks i'm not really a fanboy of windows, i just like the compatability, the endless library of games from decades past....and i'm wrong? theres something wrong with that?all the os's are great for various things..pple have preferences is all.

nice list of games there neox1..i was bored with all those 2 years ago, except the rts ones...always hated rts games, now if only crysis would come out soon i'd be happy

if it suits your needs its great, but useless to ad it in your sig as if everyone should use it.

he's not violating the forum rules, he can use what ever sig he wants, and if he decides to use linux then thats fine ;)

next thing you know peeps will start yacking about ted nugent in my sig :thud:

cL1cKm3.exe, the only reason we are ":filtered: you with out opinions" (is that even proper english?) is because you came in here spewing fud.

The "enthusiast market"? Linux is installed every day on servers around the world. Are they enthusiasts? Nope, they just don't feel like putting up with Microsoft's :filtered: all of the time. What about desktop linux users? Yeah, there are the ones that use it because they like to tweak their computer to their liking, people who enjoy customizing their operating system down to it's roots. However, not all desktop users are like this. Everyone I know who uses linux uses it for a number of reasons.

*It's clean and organized: refering to the KDE menu, things are arranged into logical categories, automatically.

*They almost never need to go hunting for drivers: the exception being their nvidia/ati graphics cards, but you have to do that on Windows as well.

*It's free, sure beats shelling out $90.

*It comes loaded with everything they need, and I don't mean the "free trials" that come with an HP machine, software that just works, and doesn't stop working after 30 days.

*It's faster, without all of that bloat built up over time, as well as from the lack of :filtered: software meant to fix problems with the original operating system. I've heard many times from many different people that there's nothing better than a fresh Windows install, I know quite a few people who reinstall Windows (or have someone do it for them) every 1-2 years, otherwise they just buy a new computer and trash the old one. Such a waste...

*It's safe, in order to trash a linux box the user has to have the root password, and he would have to either know exactly what he was doing, or be very lucky. Oh and good luck getting spyware, not a problem on a Windows machine.

*You can do so much more. With a few clicks, you can have a web server running, a streaming media server, a file server, you could even get a cluster up and going. All things that require a good supply of $$$ in the Microsoft world.

Bored of all of those games you say? Two years ago you say? You must be a master of this then, because Quake IV came out just last year. Somehow I think you just threw out that generalizing statement in an attempt (pitiful really) to shoot Neo down.

About Windows' "endless library from decades past". First of all, a decade is ten years, now lets do some simple math. 2006 minus 10 = 1996. Besides the obvious fact that for anything more than two decades, computer gaming on Windows was nonexistant, and computer gaming altogether was rather scarce. But lets go back to 1996, Windows 95 was out then, a lot of people were still playing games in DOS. Now most of these games do not work today in anything after Windows 98, hell good luck even getting them to work there. Actually after thinking about it, not many old games run in XP at all (without help).

Guess what you can use to play your old DOS games? Dosbox, which is packaged with most linux distributions. Oh I'm sorry, did you mean post-dos games? Have you tried running them in Wine? or Cedega? You'd be surprised, most of them work.

DirectX10 isn't going to stop the Wine team, pretty soon any pre-vista users are going to have to use Wine to play the newest games. Congrats Microsoft on screwing backward compatability. :tup: Go take a look here. Switch the dropbox to 100, or even 200, and hit refresh. Almost all of those applications work near perfect in Wine, and that's just the toplist. Wine comes packaged with most modern distros, so getting it installed is hardly a problem. This is of course being ignorant of the Cedega games wiki, which lists countless other working games.

So no, in short: you aren't wrong, but your information is. Anyone can make things up to support their arguement, most children pick that up around the age of four, congratulations.

Bear, Your preachin' to the choir. I know exactly what you mean though. I loaded Windows on this custom laptop just to see how it would play games. It did a terrible job. didn't detect the proper screen resolution, no sound, no wireless. and it took forever. and crashed a few times, reboot reboot, install this driver, reboot, I got so frustrated that I ended up never even playing any games just went and did a clean Ubuntu install. everything worked DONE!

Oh, this is way off topic: xXenXx : Your avatar is getting old. My girlfriend noticed that you were still using the cat with a lime on its head for an avatar. :huh::rolleyes: I don't care myself, but she notices stuff like that. Just thought I'd pass that on

;):adios:

Oh, this is way off topic: xXenXx : Your avatar is getting old. My girlfriend noticed that you were still using the cat with a lime on its head for an avatar. :huh::rolleyes: I don't care myself, but she notices stuff like that. Just thought I'd pass that on

;):adios:

Haha, I'll think about changing it, in fact I have several times. After a few days I'd change it back to the old one though. :beer:

the cat looks cool, btw this thread is great reading, theres alot of fact and truth involved here

ms has done this, there responsible for what is wrong these days, for example no one knows how far they are in the past, like bruce mentioned in some of his posts, the us is far behind when it comes to being mainstrean, i agree totally with him on that :yup:

cL1cKm3.exe, the only reason we are ":filtered: you with out opinions" (is that even proper english?) is because you came in here spewing fud.

i'm not in english class, nor did i say english is my native language...assumptions?..tisk,tisk

what did i lie about exactly?

The "enthusiast market"? Linux is installed every day on servers around the world. Are they enthusiasts? Nope,

what are you talking about?, enthusiasts can be overclockers/diy pc builders..etc, has nothing to do with linux, i was specifically talking about pple who WANT to learn how to do lots of things with computers, to learn, to experiment...didnt know i had to clarify every detail

not all desktop users are like this. Everyone I know who uses linux uses it for a number of reasons.

exactly...so whats your problem with someong using a computer for reasons with another OS?

*It's clean and organized: refering to the KDE menu, things are arranged into logical categories, automatically.

*They almost never need to go hunting for drivers: the exception being their nvidia/ati graphics cards, but you have to do that on Windows as well.

*It's free, sure beats shelling out

are you trying to sell me onto linux??...i never tried to get you to go to windows or mac did i. your aweful defensive...how come you didnt offer all the good info about mac os's....you hate everything not linux?, thats fine but dont bother forcing it down my throat just because i say i like windows for x reasons

Bored of all of those games you say? Two years ago you say? You must be a master of this then, because Quake IV came out just last year. Somehow I think you just threw out that generalizing statement in an attempt (pitiful really) to shoot Neo down.

you read it how you wanted to...negatively i might add, however it should be obvious that all those games arnt exactly 2 years old and i was generalizing that they are older games i have played and grew tired of a while ago, and those were nice games for the time..however all the games i like arnt supported by linux..few, very few actually say on the box it works with linux, just because you can emulate it to work on linux means nothing to most simply because most arnt enthusiasts who will ever learn that wine even exists

About Windows' "endless library from decades past". First of all, a decade is ten years, now lets do some simple math. 2006 minus 10 = 1996. Besides the obvious fact that for anything more than two decades, computer gaming on Windows was nonexistant, and computer gaming altogether was rather scarce. But lets go back to 1996, Windows 95 was out then, a lot of people were still playing games in DOS. Now most of these games do not work today in anything after Windows 98, hell good luck even getting them to work there. Actually after thinking about it, not many old games run in XP at all (without help).

you didnt really expect pple in forums having to type words out to be that literal do you? "decades past" was not literal and should be obvious, i think your just wanting to argue, your long post must mean you enjoy it, its fine but i'll defend my preference and my opinion cause im not wrong in having it, you have avoided the pure point i made which is that all the os's are great for those who like its tools...the computer is a tool you know that right?

but to answer

i have hundreds of old games on xp, dosbox runs dos games fine in xp, i have mame and others...just to limit your assumptions of me, i have used comptuers since the 85 tandy color, i've used many macs, dos,lindows, but before win98 i prefered amiga...why amiga? ...games, i had no other need for a computer till the internet boom, mp3's..etc, a mac would be fine but again i'm limited in choice of games, i have yet to find a game that wont work on xp.

Guess what you can use to play your old DOS games? Dosbox, which is packaged with most linux distributions. Oh I'm sorry, did you mean post-dos games? Have you tried running them in Wine? or Cedega? You'd be surprised, most of them work.

i know, most emulators are made for linux and mac as well...even gameboys, handheld pc's, even consoles...but why should i care, they all run on my current os? your saying i should switch learn a new os just to end up doing the exact same things that i already do on this one? thats why many pple still use aol isp...they know thiers other isps, but aol does what they need...same difference here.

DirectX10 isn't going to stop the Wine team, pretty soon any pre-vista users are going to have to use Wine to play the newest games. Congrats Microsoft on screwing backward compatability. :tup: Go take a look here. Switch the dropbox to 100, or even 200, and hit refresh. Almost all of those applications work near perfect in Wine, and that's just the toplist. Wine comes packaged with most modern distros, so getting it installed is hardly a problem. This is of course being ignorant of the Cedega games wiki, which lists countless other working games.

who said anything about vista or dx10? i'm not upgrading, oh but you didnt bother to ask that did you, you mustive been busy trying to put me in my place or soemthing.

So no, in short: you aren't wrong, but your information is. Anyone can make things up to support their arguement, most children pick that up around the age of four, congratulations.

what information? that the market of enthusiasts is low?...how many people do you think build thier own pc, overlcock or even care to learn how to fix problems or learn new apps?? hp and dell are doing well selling generic pc's. but then agian you didnt bother to look up stats, i dont believe any stat is 100% accurate..but cmon now, look it up before calling me a liar.

i havnt offered any information i know about linux,mac,amiga,dos or any other os i've ever used aside from saying linux is harder to use, which you know is true for most home users, i made no mention of any distro's, so i'm not sure what information i provided is "fud"

you know that most home users either cant or wont learn computer stuff thats not related to what they do on there, thats why technicians make good money and why theres so many questions on forums, i never said linux sucks or you cant do this or that yet you provide me with what it can do for some reason even though i didnt ask.

you say i'm not wrong...so you agree that all os's are great for those who get what they need from them...then why on earth did you bother responding to my first post much less my last, but if linux is the best as you make it to be, then why do so many dual boot with windows?, not that i care.

but actually if i had a real choice that would suit me, i'd use a mac and hope it goes mainstream so more games develop for it...i just never cared for linux, dont take it personaly just deal

Ok this is just becoming counter-productive now. We both have our opinions, let us leave it at that.

The only thing I want to clarify was my mentioning of DirectX10. You said you couldn't wait for Crysis to be released. Last I heard Crysis is going to be DirectX10 only, and DirectX 10 will only be released on Vista. That was what spawned that whole section about pre-vista users needing Wine to play future dx10 only games.

saying linux is harder to use, which you know is true for most home users, i made no mention of any distro's, so i'm not sure what information i provided is "fud"

That in and of it's self is FUD.

Linux is certainly not "harder" to use for the home user. In fact there are many people who were calling me once, twice and more a week week with numerous windows problems. I installed Linux on their computers, and just don't get the help calls from them anymore. All are happy, computers running trouble free, and to put it simply things are "easier" for them.

You confuse the "I only know one way to do things" mentality of the windows is the only operating system........because they were forced to use it for a decade, with Linux is harder.

Linux is certainly no harder then any other operating system. In fact I will be so bold as to say it is easier to use.

AS for the silly statements you made about selling or pushing something down your throat, it is amuzing to say the least. This is after all the "Linux" section of PCPitstop forums. If you do not wish to discuss Linux, then I do believe you are in the wrong place :lol:

This is after all the "Linux" section of PCPitstop forums. If you do not wish to discuss Linux, then I do believe you are in the wrong place

lol.gif

:funny:

Ya think

Haha, I'll think about changing it, in fact I have several times. After a few days I'd change it back to the old one though. :beer:

That avatar is how I mentally picture you.

Linux is certainly not "harder" to use for the home user. In fact there are many people who were calling me once, twice and more a week week with numerous windows problems. I installed Linux on their computers, and just don't get the help calls from them anymore. All are happy, computers running trouble free, and to put it simply things are "easier" for them.

gee if only everyone could get someone to put it all together for them

You confuse the "I only know one way to do things" mentality of the windows is the only operating system........because they were forced to use it for a decade, with Linux is harder.

you may have to clarify that one but a decade ago i was still using amiga os and mac

Linux is certainly no harder then any other operating system. In fact I will be so bold as to say it is easier to use.

so the non enthusiast can should have no problem setting it up completely for themselves, i'll go tell mom to download one that doesnt require command lines, throw away any os cd she has now and say you better search google to figure out how to get your aol work. amazing as you may think though, she has yet to have a problem, but all she does is email/print/scan photo stuff, since most os's do that then to people like her the os is completely irrelevant.

AS for the silly statements you made about selling or pushing something down your throat, it is amuzing to say the least. This is after all the "Linux" section of PCPitstop forums. If you do not wish to discuss Linux, then I do believe you are in the wrong place :lol:

didnt read my first post did you, i responded to the thread title, so i was actuall on topic, after that i responded to the paragraphs of opions about my simple 2 sentence post..even your response has now driven offtopic but i'll help out anyone who cares about my opnions.

The only thing I want to clarify was my mentioning of DirectX10. You said you couldn't wait for Crysis to be released. Last I heard Crysis is going to be DirectX10 only, and DirectX 10 will only be released on Vista. That was what spawned that whole section about pre-vista users needing Wine to play future dx10 only games

but you wouldnt recommend something that has no official support right?

hope no one spends $50 on halo 2 without vista and has a problem, i'm sure those who recommend it can guarantee a fix...oh well, its only $50 though isnt it

But that is my point exactly.

99% of the people do get someone to put it all together for them.

They walk into a store, buy a pre-built computer, with pre-installed operating system, pre-installed drivers, pre-installed software, then have to call tech lines, software support PC support.................cal friends and family members for help..........................

I install Linux for them, and all those calls never have to be made again, they don't battle the viri, worms, trojans, sluggish computers from over baring, scanning, scrubbing, douching, cleaner, fixers, tweakers, .........

The Linux computer just works, keeps running and running and running...................That was easy :laughing:

bruce, you said this more than once and every single time it makes even more sense, the us is ten years behind in being mainstream :laughing:

what your speaking is way too advanced for a windows user :rofl2:

Bruce already mentioned it but I wanted to ask you, do you honestly think every Windows user builds their own pc? If you do, then read Bruce's post about OEM's. If true, I guess we don't need any Tech Support for Windows users either.

didnt read my first post did you, i responded to the thread title, so i was actuall on topic, after that i responded to the paragraphs of opions about my simple 2 sentence post..even your response has now driven

You come into a Linux forum and tossed the bait. It wasn't a "simple 2 sentence post."...

choice of os depends soly on what you want from it..obviously you love linux, if it suits your needs its great, but useless to ad it in your sig as if everyone should use it.

i'm a gamer, soly gameing, tweaking and surfing....so windows is a must, if i had linux, i'd be bored to death and would go outside to bare the dreaded sunlight.

You start off good then go downhill from there. It's almost as if you take offense because he's proud of his OS. I don't see anywhere in there where it says everyone should use it. In fact, I don't see anything in there that says anyone else should use it. He's a new Linux user and is excited about it. He put it in his sig. Not a big deal.

Then you went on to cut Linux down...in a Linux forum, btw. What did you expect in return? Giggles?

Those that use any *nix distro, especially longtime users are pretty sick of hearing FUD about "It's only for geeks." or "It's too hard." or "you can't game" or whatever the excuses are. There's many of them, too many to list. All which are incorrect. I've yet to meet or hear of anyone that gave Linux an honest try to get to know, go back to Windows. I'm sure it's happened but it's not common. The people that have the hardest time with Linux, in general, are the Windows users that expect it to be and act just like Windows.

If you had a new pc user, one who has never been on a pc and had them install a Windows os and a Linux os, (SuSE/Ubuntu) the Linux would be so much easier. You install Linux and you are done. Try installing Windows and see if it automatically installs all of your drivers. Sure, go to Windows Update and install the drivers it recommends and see what happens then. Then, in Windows, you have to worry about Firewalls, virus scanners, spyware, malware, trials that expire in 15 or 30 days. Pay that money out every year to upgrade. Defrag your hd because Windows is so poorly written and can't contain it's own files correctly. Not to mention, the browser, that is out there on the internet no less, is tied into the os! That's the epitomy of stupid! Not to mention tell a Window user that they're running as admin and they wouldn't have a clue on how to change that to be safe. In Linux you're up and running in 45 minutes. If you need any propriety software for flash, mp3's and dvd's it's all on 1 page. 10 minutes more to add.

If you enjoy Windows, that's great. Noone here is telling you to change. I've read these forums and I don't see a hint of Windows bashing in the virus/spyware forum here. That's where I'd expect it if it were to happen. But you come into a Linux forum and cut down Linux and praise Windows and you'll get what you got. Deservedly so I might add.

Edited by bchc

:clap: Well said bchc.

For the record: I don't hate the Windows OS, its mainly Microsoft's business practices I can't stand. Although, since switching to Linux, my system hasn't spontaneously :filtered: up once. :D

Not that I've had that many problems with Windows XP, but the few times I did, It was for no apparent reason :shrug: usually resulting in a complete re-install.

At least with Linux, if something messes-up, I know who's fault it is. :whistling::blushing:

Edited by Flying Caveman

:clap: Well said bchc.

At least with Linux, if something messes-up, I know who's fault it is. :whistling::blushing:

ummmmm, that would be me, right? :adios: I don't understand it all yet, but, I will!!

hope no one spends $50 on halo 2 without vista and has a problem, i'm sure those who recommend it can guarantee a fix...oh well, its only $50 though isnt it

I didn't want to post in this thread again, but seriously what is your problem? Let me lay this out for you...

You said "I can not wait for Crysis".

So I mentioned DirectX10. Crysis will require DirectX10 to run. DirectX10 will be Vista only.

So then you came out with "who said anything about dx10?", etc. You then proceeded to state that you were not upgrading to Vista.

So I asked you to explain how you were planning to play Crysis and you came back with this.

How is that answering my question?

No, Wine would not be an "official" way to run games on pre-vista Windows. It would be a hack for people that don't want to put up with Vista's :filtered:, much the same as the patches to allow Windows 98 users to play Doom 3. Someone who was using one of these hacks would already be experienced enough to know what they were doing, all of the other users who just use what they were given would probably just go out and buy a new pc with Vista on it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. An opinion however is not the same thing as a fact. The reasons we have such a problem with you are pretty simple.

*You're making up false information.

*You're in a Linux forum! Generally when you make up information about $something, and then go to a $something-related message board and post FUD about it, you're going to stir up quite a bit of anger.

*Every time a valid point is made against you, you slither out from under it and rebut with something completely irrelevant.

*Your shear ignorance of anything said against you.

Breaking down someone's post into quotes, and then arguing each point is perfectly acceptable, it usually adds substance to a thread. Your posts however add nothing, the majority of them have been full of quotes followed by sarcastic comments.

You're a troll, plain and simple. There is no other explanation for your continuous posting in this thread aside from that you're just here to stir up trouble. I've said it once and I'll say it again: you are entitled to your opinion, but an opinion is not fact. I'm sure you feel very superior in your little fantasy world, but please, keep it to yourself.

Edited because the forum quoted too much, oops.

Edited by xXenXx

I love a good argument/discussion so I just can't stay out of this. I am speaking as a total noob, my first install of Suse 10.2 was Dec 8th. I am in the process of learning to use it. I found it was ready to go after the install, ready to surf the internet....it installed my scanner/printer.... yada yada yada....I am new to the applications that came with SUSE so I need to learn them, just like I learned to use Word or any other application.

As for support issues, I use this forum, but, there are plenty of resources. These are good people here, ready to help, staying up all hours just to walk me through a driver install. Not because it is hard to do, but, because I didn't know how to do it yet. This is user to user help for linux users. If you don't want to learn linux, by all means, don't. Learning anything takes time, you make mistakes and learn from them and move on.

If you don't want to be preached to about linux don't start the argument. As strong as you may feel about windows being so great and all of that and a bag of chips, we are free to feel just as passionate about linux. We choose to use linux, you've had windows crammed down your throat by Micro$oft, not the members of this forum!!

If you are interested in learning about linux, you've come to the right place. If you want to argue about linux, don't get all offended when you're put in your place!!

......Josie steps down from soapbox.....