Sign in to follow this  
BlackWiddow

Raid

I have been reading about RAID and am considering trying to set it up on my computer. I read that RAID 0 reduces the life span of your drives, is that true? Also, what should I know before i set it up, and how exactly does one set this up?

As of now I have a 160GB HD and some small ones, not sure if I will use those or try to get a larger one. I am also using Windows XP Pro

Thanks

How would running RAID reduce the life span of the drive? It's either running or it's not.

It would be "best" to use drives that are all the same size. However, it is possible to use drives that aren't the same size. I did this at first just to experiment. I don't run a RAID now with different drives though.

X_C is the resident RAID-master. He should be along shortly. If not, give him a P.M.

Edited by Cowboy3000

As was mentioned it's best to setup raid using two identical drives. There are several types of raid but the one to use for speed is Raid 0. You will need a raid card or a motherboard that supports raid in order to set it up.

1. Enable raid in your bios

2. Configure your raid using a raid configuration utility for either the card or the board

3. Hit F6 during the windows install and supply the drivers on floppy

That's about it. Does the motherboard you will be using support raid? Do you have two matching drives.

no i dont gave to identical drives, but I might get one now. I read an article on wikipedia.com about RAID and thats what said that it might reduce the lif span... I dunno! Im not sure if my board supports raid, i am going to look when I get home to find out.

I don't know why that site says that, I have been installing RAID on Servers and personal PCs for two years now and can't say that it decreases the life span. I'm going to have a look at thier site and if they do not refer to any reason, I'll have to ask for proof. :rolleyes:

Edited by X_C

I just looked back at the article, and it has changed since I read it a few days ago... I didnt read it this time, but it is different...

I know you say its best to use the same size disk, but what happens when I ont. Lets say I use my 160GB drive and a 20 GB drive. What is the result? How about if I used a smaller drive?

Drive size is not the issue, its more the drive speed, cache, different number of platters and of course seek times. If you use two different drive sizes you will lose 140gb of the 160gb drive basically and could cause system stablity problems.

it'd be like trying to run down the Track with a Boot on one foot and a sneaker on the other

I know you say its best to use the same size disk, but what happens when I ont. Lets say I use my 160GB drive and a 20 GB drive. What is the result? How about if I used a smaller drive?

yes, disc needs to be the same size and best if the same make and model as Ronnie mentions.

If you use lets say one 80GB drive and one 120GB drive, the RAID controller will then only allocate 80GB of the 120GB drive to the RAID Array, now here is where it can get bad...Some controllers, and I have found several, will change the drives firmware, from that point on, that 120GB drive will think its an 80GB. RAID or No RAID. (Not all RAID controllers will do this but I believe it is not worth the chance.)

You either want to do it right or bad things can happen.

X_C

Edited by X_C

it'd be like trying to run down the Track with a Boot on one foot and a sneaker on the other

:P The best of the year.

I see. No, my board does not support RAID (PCCHIPS P25G V3.0 P4M800CE 478) Based on my specs (listed in my profile) would seting up RAID 0 (via a pci raid controller) make a noticable increase in speed?

I see. No, my board does not support RAID (PCCHIPS P25G V3.0 P4M800CE 478) Based on my specs (listed in my profile) would seting up RAID 0 (via a pci raid controller) make a noticable increase in speed?

Yup, I've run many, best are Promise, Intel and Highpoint.

I read a review about hard drives the other day and the Hatachi 160 gb got really good reviews. That was for the SATA version though.

I have only done a PATA RAID in testing. I just tested to see if it would work. I really don't know how that would compare to SATA RAID. I do know that the PATA RAID will still be faster than a single PATA drive (in RAID 0).

What would the difference be? I already have an ide drive and I dont think I want to have to buy 2 sata drives and a controller vs. just one drive and controller

Edited by BlackWiddow

I'd give serious thought to getting a SATA raid controller and drives.

Why is that? I too am considering this. My girlfriend and my mother are purchasing a WD Raptor for me for christmas and I was thinking of buying another and setting up RAID. It is a SATA drive and now I am wondering why you seem to have doubts about RAID and SATA.

Here is why:

ATA100 stands for its possible transfer speed; 100 = 100MB Buffered Transfer

ATA133 stands for its possible transfer speed; 133 = 133MB Buffered Transfer

SATA1 150 stands for its possible transfer speed; 150 = 150MB Buffered Transfer

SATA2 300 stands for its possible transfer speed; 300 = 300MB Buffered Transfer

The main thing to remember is that the ATA/100 (100MB/s) speed ONLY applies to buffer to host transfers. That is, when the operating system can’t find the data needed in its own cache, and it is not in the controller's cache, but doesn’t need to be retrieved from the actual disk itself (the platters). A small amount of data is cached in the disk’s buffer, and that is the ONLY data that will be transferred at ATA/100 speed. Any data retrieved from the actual platters cannot be done so at that high rate of speed – period. The chances that the system will be able to find what it needs in the disk buffer (unless your request are very small and fits the cache scheme) are slim to none, mostly due to its small size. So, your limiting factor is the actual data transfer from the platters to the buffer

When running RAID 0, this allows all the drives in the array to act as one, kind of like going from a one lane highway to a 2, 3 or 4 lane.

X_C

Edited by X_C

This may be too simplistic but with one raptor you can transfer about 60MB second and in a raid configuration add 60MB a second for each addition raptor.

In a practical sense (if you can make $500 expenditure for 144GB of storage practical :P ) using a single IDE drive to copy and burn a DVD took me over an hour an a half, did the same the other night in less that 25 minutes.

he doesnt have doubts about it. He is saying that i should set up raid with a SATA drive not an PATA drive

Sorry! I misread it lol...I see what he is saying now! I will give some serious consideration to another WD Raptor then for sure!

If you check the drivers download page at the PCChips website, you´ll find the RAID drivers for your board. Good luck if you test them.

Link to P-25G page

Edited by gamingcs