Change Mode

overclocking help

devonmull

hi guys would like some help/advice on overclocking my new system

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=1KH3FWDM74WSW93J

i raised the fsb a tiny amount ...(from 1066 to 1076) no problems however as im sure you'll know that raised the memory upto 805mhz and im more concerned about the memory than the cpu right now!

how high can memory go? or should i consider a divider and if so can someone explain the divider to me in plain english :lol:

the cpu according to my bios and according to everest is running at 20c so no problems there!! however everest does say

cpu 20c

cpu#1/core1 44c

cpu#2/core2 45c

is that normal?

or should i use something else to monitor temps?

101 questions all of which im confident someone can answer!

Depends on your RAM. I wouldn't think you'd need to think about your Memory dividers until you get to the 320 FSB realm with DDR2 667.

You can definitely get more out of that rig.

This is mine using the 667 divider at 300 FSB and I'm not really pushing it.. It'll do close to 900 before I need to drop to the 533.

Posted Image

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=148131

Depends on your RAM. I wouldn't think you'd need to think about your Memory dividers until you get to the 320 FSB realm with DDR2 667.

You can definitely get more out of that rig.

This is mine using the 667 divider at 300 FSB and I'm not really pushing it.. It'll do close to 900 before I need to drop to the 533.

Posted Image

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=148131

ok so just keep upping the fsb?

Yes. Little by little until while testing you start yo get memory errors. At that point you can try and up your volts to the memory or loosen the timings. If that doesn't work THEN you drop down to the next lower divider.

What speed is your RAM?

Yes. Little by little until while testing you start yo get memory errors. At that point you can try and up your volts to the memory or loosen the timings. If that doesn't work THEN you drop down to the next lower divider.

What speed is your RAM?

:unsure: i believe its...2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory

thankyou for your help thus far

Good stuff. Take it to 350 FSB and drop the divider down to 667. Check what the SPD is for the timings. It should be 4 4 4 12 on those but you can go with auto on all except the divider setting.

Also set the Memory voltage to 2.1 to 2.2 volts. It's rated at 2.1 but you're overclocking. ;)

You shouldn't need to raise the CPU voltage much if any at that speed. Probably want to up the Northbridge voltage a notch. Also manually set your PCI-e freq to 106 to 108.

Also turn off all the CPU features in the BIOS like C1E (speedstep), virtualization, ect.

If you're OC'd to 1076 and your RAM is at 805MHz that's nothing. Like taking a Vette out for a spin at 65 MPH. :D.

Oh and that RAM, just at a guess, will probably do about 970 to 1000 MHz on the 667 divider before you'd have to drop it down again. If you're go for a high OC, somewhere over 380 the 533 divider, or 1:1 timings will rock!

Keep in mind these are just what I figure, from my experience, should be about the right settings. They'll be close but maybe not spot on. :)

Edited by tarawa

• 2 weeks later...