Change Mode

Increase Internet Browsing Speed!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/333720/light...er_and_firefox/

ONLY WORKS WITH: Firefox, Internet Explorer 7

Enjoy!

...it basically tells your browser to submit more than one HTTP request before getting an answer back from the server. Definite speed boost for web servers that support HTTP pipelining.

Make web pages load lightning fast.. A must-see tweak for

Firefox and Internet Explorer users.

Most browsers are configured for dial-up.. Tweak the settings more...

to boost surfing speeds and minimize page load times...

Also,

Enable Pipelining

Pipelining is an experimental feature, designed to improve page-load performance, that is unfortunately not well supported by some web servers and proxies.

From TyIzaeL, and Mozilla.

My personal experience: I've NEVER had a problem doing any of these. My performance has increased, and webpages load perfectly fine!

Edit: I know this has probably been posted before, but here, this is in video form.

Edited by IanG

Basically, it sends out multiple connections to the server, and uses the connection that it receives first, instead of just using one and waiting for that one.

(I think...)

Mozilla Speaketh:

Enable Pipelining

Pipelining is an experimental feature, designed to improve page-load performance, that is unfortunately not well supported by some web servers and proxies. To try it out, by using about:config to set the following preferences:

network.http.pipelining

Set this to true, to enable pipelining.

network.http.proxy.pipelining

Set this to true, to enable pipelining to the proxy server.

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Set this to 8, to have a maximum of 8 pipelining requests at once. Possible values are from 1 to 8.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#oth_pipelining

Yup, I've honestly had these tweaks on Firefox (I don't know what I'd do without them!) for more than a year, and I haven't had any problems, even though they are "Experimental".

:tup:

8210Guy, I've updated the starting topic to state that it only works with Firefox and Internet Explorer 7.

Hopefully more people can get use of this tip! :tup:

ONLY WORKS WITH: Firefox, Internet Explorer 7

That is not the case. Windows Internet Services (WinInet) is the HTTP layer that these settings directly affect, and which is used by Internet Explorer (and other MS products) and most 3rd-party browsers. If you make these settings on Windows 95 or Windows 98 Standard Edition running Internet Explorer 4, you'll find that they are just as effective as with XP running IE7.

MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server may be set arbitrarily, and if it does not exist, WinInet uses a default value of 4 (some browsers have a 4 connection internal limit and are not affected by a value greater that the default). MaxConnectionsPerServer has a default value of 2, which is the maximum permitted by the HTTP 1.1 specification (RFC2616) and probably prudent to avoid exceeding.

To set the values as desired without editing the Registry, create the following file with Notepad, and save it a MaxHttpConnects.reg. Be sure not to omit the final semicolon.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings]

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:A

"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:2

;

After saving the file, right-click it and click Merge, Yes, and OK. Note that the values following "dword:" are in hexadecimal, therefore use these letters for settings greater than 9 - 10=A, 11=B, 12=C, 13=D, 14=E, 15=F.

Edited by TomGL2

The two dword values that need to be changed are NOT in my Internet Settings folder in the reg. Could i just make a new key and add them?

Yes.. im completely confident with my ability to edit and work my around the reg and files. They arent there.

Edited by Maxst2

Maxst2, you speak of being "completely confident with my ability", yet you ask, "Could i just make a new key".  I fear that you have more confidence than knowledge, since making a new key is unnecessary (no keys are missing, but the DWord values are).  Use the REG file in message 18 to create and set the values, and read Winguide's Registry tutorial.

Edited by TomGL2

Screenshot of registry

AS you can see... those values are not there... therefore... no editing can be done.

Not to insult, but you must not have read what i typed completely.

Yes.. im completely confident with my ability to edit and work around the reg and files. They arent there.

this is besides the point you can think what you will of me. Picture shows there isnt anything there.

With reading what needs to be done, i can go in and change what needed to be changed.

I cant change whats not there. Same thing on both my other desktops, and its not on IE6 either.

THUS, why i was saying if they needed to be created or not.

Lastly... works great on firefox, thanks for that tip. Speed increase was very noticable.

Don't know why someone rated this a low ranking.

If whoever rated it low rated it because they couldn't find the registry entries on their system, I'm sorry?

It's not like I provided a bad tip: it's just, your system doesn't have the values.

Edit: I will find a way to apply this tweak to your system, if you do or don't have the values. Give me a day or two!

Edited by IanG

*** TO ALL ***

This tweak may be easily applied by using a Registry settings file as described in post #18. Here is the applicable section of that message, slightly edited for clarity.

Copy & paste the following text into Notepad, and save it as MaxHttpConnects.reg. Be sure not to omit the final semicolon. Note that the values following "dword:" are in hexadecimal, therefore use these letters for settings greater than 9: 10=A, 11=B, 12=C, 13=D, 14=E, 15=F.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInternet Settings]

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:A

"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:2

;

After saving the file (to the Desktop or Shared Documents, perhaps), right-click it and click Merge, Yes, and OK.

Edited by TomGL2

I haven't rated any topic so far, let alone this one so it wasn't me, the tip is good, it's not your fault if some set ups can't use it, but those that can will hopefully benefit from this tip, as a result I'll give this a 5 star right now, who ever it was must just be having a bad day or something and needed a scapegoat. :mrsgreen: