Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ttaMONEYPIT

Exterminate removed sony DRM and my cd drives

Exterminate finally removed the sony drm rootkit crap but it also removed my cd and dvd drive

I had to do a sys restore to get them working again--but that also brought back the sony trojan

is there any way to reinstall my cd and dvd drives after removing the sony trojan

This is not for sure, but it's worth a shot.

Are they removed from both My Computer and the Device Manager, or just My Computer?

If they are still showing in the Device Manager, you can try uninstalling them from there and then rebooting and let the Windows "Found new hardware" wizard reinstall the drivers and the drives.

If they don't show in the Device Manager, you would need to physically open the case, (with the computer unplugged from the power outlet and yourself grounded against static discharge) and disconnect both the power and data cables from the drives, then reboot. Shut down the computer and unplug, then reconnect the cables that were removed, and then boot up and see if Windows will find and reinstall them.

Or when the drives are showing, uninstall the drives in the device manager, physically disconnect the cables, reboot, and then run Exterminate.

No guarantees on any of these ideas.

I only noticed that they were gone from (my computer)

I have a few days off so I'll definately try to disconnect the power and data cables run exterminate and restart power down then reinstall the drive cables to try and get this removed

Follow the advice in this link to remove the Sony Rootkit:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34904.html

well I disconnected the cd and dvd drive ,ran exterminate and it said it removed the sony root kit, did a restart and ran exterminate and it still found the file in the system called drm, so I let exterminate remove it, restart ran it again and it said 0 threats found

so I shut it down hook up the power lines and data cables to the cd and dvd drives--restart pc---and what do you know--no freakin cd or dvd drives show up in my computer

so now what do I need to do to get the pc to reinstall or recognize my drives?

Follow the advice in this link to remove the Sony Rootkit:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34904.html

I found those directions with a google search---with my inexperience with computers all those directions just seemed too complicated to me---is there anyway to find drivers or whatever for my cd and dvd drive online?

I really don't want to do a system restore and have the sony root kit comeback

You can try this:

If you have lost any and all CD/DVD drives. DON'T PANIC!

Hit windowsKey+Pause/Break to open up your System dialog. Click on the Hardware tab, then on the "Device Manager" button. Your system will not list any CD/DVD drives, but you should see IDE slot(s) that have little yellow circles with exclamation points over them indicating a device with a problem. In order to restore the drivers to their un-sony-altered state you must right click on the affected device and choose "uninstall driver". Do this for each device with a problem.

Now that you have uninstalled the affected drivers, simply navigate to your Control Panel via the Start Menu and choose "Add Hardware". The add hardware wizard will run and find your previously disabled devices. Your drives are now restored and functional, and this potentially dangerous menace vanquished.

Advanced users may now go and clean up the mess, but this step is not necessary. Delete renamed files, and dare I say it, registry keys that pertain to Sony's program. Use this list for reference: http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/xcp_drm.shtml

but nothing really beats searching.

1. If this doesn't work, then download HJT from here:

http://radiosplace.com/

2. Put it in a permanent folder (it makes backups) by doing this:

Click My Computer, then C:\

In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.

That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or

"HijackThis". Now you have C:\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there,

and double click to run it

3. Click on "Do a system scan and save logfile". The logfile will be saved to

notepad.

4. Start a new topic in our HJT forms:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=25

5. Copy and paste the HJT log from notepad in that new topic........Please be patient, as we have a lot of people with malware infections

and all of our HJT Trusted Advisors work on many other forums.

**DO NOT** post your HJT log in this thread