Change Mode

A Faster Start Menu

A Faster Start Menu

I see no reason for there to be any delay when I click on the Start Menu. Effects are pretty, but I wouldn’t click on it if I didn’t have business inside, so lets get it open and get moving. The default speed can be adjusted with a quick registry entry.

The default value is 400. Set it to 0 and the delay is gone, but it will be nearly impossible to move the mouse fast enough not to activate [All Programs] if you mouse over it in route to your final selection. It's easy to train yourself to move the pointer to the right after clicking Start to avoid activating All Programs. Pick a number that suits your style and make the change, then test it until you find a good compromise between speed and usability.( mine is 150, )

====================================================================

[start] [Run] [Regedit]Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\DesktopModify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.Data Type: String Value // Value Name: MenuShowDelaySetting for Value Data: [Default = 400 / Adjust to Preference, mine is 150]Exit Registry and Reboot

====================================================================

*copied from www.theeldergeek.com

I also quickened up the HungAppTimeOut to 150, and the “WaitToKillAppTimeout” to 200. :clap:

PLEASE, don’t change ANYTHING else in the registry without knowing EXACTLY what you’re changing!! :nono:

Doug

I guess that works excellent, but I fixed it another way.

Hold down the Windows key and press Pause. (If laptop with shared pause key, press also the Fn key).

Go Advanced\Performance settings.

In the long list, remove as many checkmarks as you wish. But particullary one of them (don't know what they call it in English XP) will make the menu react faster.

You can do the same thing using the following method and not having to edit the registry:

Display Properties > Appearance > Effects > Uncheck "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips" option (usually when this is checked its set to Fade Effect).

Click OK and OK again and your Start Menu should be much faster ... now if you computer is already fast you might not even notice anything.

Remember, we are looking for tips that will appeal to intermediate users, so don't get too technical.

The tips that will be chosen for the newsletter will be useful, easy to do, and non-intimidating, meaning let's leave the registry edits for the more experienced users!

just nothing to reply to :P

Edited by ineedhelpregularly21
  • 2 months later...

You can do the same thing using the following method and not having to edit the registry:

Display Properties > Appearance > Effects > Uncheck "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips" option (usually when this is checked its set to Fade Effect).

Click OK and OK again and your Start Menu should be much faster ... now if you computer is already fast you might not even notice anything.

Caught your response.Nice and simple.

At the risk of yet again taking flack for describing a safer alternative, here's how to avoid meddling with the Registry.  Install Microsoft's Tweak UI, available from the following site -

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Open Tweak UI in the Start, Programs, Powertoys folder.  Click Mouse, move the slider to alter the menu speed, and use the test area to check the setting.  Click OK when done.

Note:  The method aeroman10 described speeds up the menu by dsabling a bit of eye candy, but that setting and this one don't do the same thing.